Note to New Members ×

Ankle pain - prominent medial malleous bone

Maxlanaudiere

After spending the last hours searching the net, the forum for a solution and not finding anything conclusive I figured I deserve my own thread on this ;).

So here is my problem: On my 3 seasons old Head stratos boot with stock liners, the liner on my back leg has packed out pretty good on the inner ankle. Right where (if I am not mistaken by my google searches) the medial malleous bone is. The rest of the boot feels perfect and you can clearly feel the "hole" created by the pressure over the years. I tried to put some 1/8 closed minicell foam in the boot where the packed out section on the liner is. That only delays the pain by about 2 hours. Still 2 hours of riding is good. Until the minicell gives up.

From what I`ve read seems like getting some new liners with a trip to a boot fitter will be required once the season is over. Still I am hoping for a "put this inside your boot to solve the problem" kind of solution. So your input for a quick fix will be more then welcomed.

Meanwhile I am trying to figured out if I can play with my boot cant and binding cant to take some of that load off. The new liners will last longer if I can take some of that riding pressure off. So here what I have available to play with as of right now: TD3s, 0 & 3 degrees disks (2 of each).

Stance is 20 inches, 60/60 with 3 degrees pure lift at the back foot. I am 6"4 with 34"ish inseam. Boards are 19cm wide so lowering angles is not possible with my 29 mondos.

Off to ride some more :biggthump Will have internet access in a week. Hope some of you guys will have time to share your experience on the matter by then.

Thanks !

Try building a donut around the pressure point to distribute the pressure over a large area of softer tissues and take it off the sore spot. Use several layers of thin foam to step the edges of the padding or bevel the edges of thicker foam with a Dremel and sanding drum. You can experiment with molefoam applied directly to your foot to get the shape right.

Don't the liners have a heat-moldable bottom section? If so consider baking them again, maybe with a bit of molefoam applied where you're sore to make a bit of a relief.

Ideally, the boot shell should mirror the contours of the foot and ankle, to provide support without inhibiting movement.

If the forefoot is overly mobile, the medial ankle bone may 'become' prominent when weighted, in which case better foot support may help.

If the bone in question appears prominent when un-weighted, then enlist the aid of a decent boot fitter and install an 'in-law apartment' for your ankle.

This requires heat, hydraulics, and time.

Futzing with the liner might provide temporary relief, but does not address the core issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your input.

The Donut trick did relieve some of the pressure. I can ride all day without feeling much. But at the end of the 2nd one it still hurts quite a bit. Got me trough the end of the season still. Thanks !

Beckmann The SHELL should mirror the contour not only the liner. Got it ! Will try to get my hand on a good boot fitter before next season to get the in-laws settle :P

You guys rock.

Salut Max,

Daniel had the same problem (he's riding with HSP liner in a Raichlee 324), he did cut out a circle from the plastic part on the outside of the liner (vis à vis the malleous bone) , he doesn't suffer since.

If you need a good bootfitter, you can see Neil at Mont Habitant.