Note to New Members ×

Carvers WORST NIGHTMARE!!!

WASMAN

Just happened to have my helmet cam operating on a run last weekend. Could have ended MUCH worse. Skier did not fare as well... From what I hear, he ended up with a broken nose and separated shoulder. I walked away with a sore jaw and a big chip out of my board about 2" ahead of my front binding!!!!!

action is around 0:40 mark....

Headed to SES tomorrow, good thing I am not on crutches.....

Man that brings back some bad memories. Just seeing those images made my stomach turn around. Felt like a flashback. Same thing happened to me 2 years ago but I am the one who ended up with the broken collarbone and AC joint separation.

Glad you are ok ! Enjoy SES !

Near miss for me last Sunday from a ski instructor... If I had not seen his shadow and abruptly ended my left turn... We still touched. He was apologetic at the bottom... He's a little guy and I'm not... it would have ended badly... I shudder to think. Maybe we need those biker mirrors mounted to our helmets... would that even work?

Since taking up EC style 4 years ago this thing and even wosre happens to me at least 2-3 times a season,i mainly go on weekdays to avoid recless skiers but even that did'nt help on a day that there where probably less than 20 people on the whole mountain and only me and a skier on the same run last year i hurt my wrist very bad because i raised my wrist to avoid the colision and to protect a broken finger on the other hand,my wrist still has'nt healed completly,lost a whole season because of a broken finger(catched ice while ECing) on one hand and a broken wrist on the other,i couldn't work for 3 months!

Now snowboarding ain't that much fun to me anymore because i always before making a EC turn always have to look back 2-3 just for one turn, this is just like what happened to me and gave up motorcycling,after getting hit twice by reckless drivers and being hospitalized (almost lost my life the one time) i tried to ride my bike again but it just wasn't the same, in every road at every crossing everywhere and all the time i was being extra cautious and thought that anytime soon someone will do something stupid again,I GOT FED UP FOR DOING OTHER PEOPLES WORK OF BEING RESPONCIBLE,the same goes for irresponsible skiers and snowboarders!

Edited by valsam

When carvers go out and make turns thinking they have the right of way and don't check up hill all the time? Well that's just extremely stupid. Assuming all other traffic will just pull over for you is also stupid. Its like people using crosswalks without looking because they think they have the right of way. Take some responsibility and check up hill for gods sake. Carvers have the responsibility to look out for traffic behind them. Hope nobody gets hit today.

I got hit last week from behind when i was making a toeside turn on the same run that the Snowbasin STFU video was shot.

Not a soul on the run, just three jibbernauts STANDING on a cat track to the side of the run, Standing not moving. After I had passed by them just before the gate that is now completely across the run, thanks to the infamous video, when Wham, I'm hit from behind on my left side.

Not one person on the run besides me, and this jerkoff decides to drop in and then "where did you come from?" from mister you should look out for me because you are downhill from me, slams into me.

And I'm in the wrong according to jburril by not continually looking uphill. HUH? Read the back of your pass please.

Mick

Edited by boardguru

Glad the snowboarder is OK. Blood tailgater... Guess he paid for the mistake, though. Only two more people in the whole run and he decided to hit you from behind.... It's like there are six lanes on the highway with three cars only and that car hit you from the back! What the hell was he thinking?

Edited by leeho730

disagree, jburril. just like driving on the highway, you must defer to traffic in front of you. it is the responsibility of the overtaker to ensure they can safely complete the maneuver without hindering or impeding (or impacting) the overtakee.

i have no issues with skiers being curious about our methods, but if they want to be curious at speed, it's best to be so from a safe distance.

disagree, jburril. just like driving on the highway, you must defer to traffic in front of you. it is the responsibility of the overtaker to ensure they can safely complete the maneuver without hindering or impeding (or impacting) the overtakee.

i have no issues with skiers being curious about our methods, but if they want to be curious at speed, it's best to be so from a safe distance.

Mmmmmm, you are correct, but that's in a world where people are thoughtful and aware of what they are doing. After driving an emergency vehicle for fifteen years I am now aware that I am surrounded by idiots who cannot drive or refuse to acknowledge there are other road users. Same goes for piste, I'm always having a 360 degree look about.

Ps why are you not on the hill, winds are only gusting to 70mph:)

Edited by Willow 15
incorrect spelling

When carvers go out and make turns thinking they have the right of way and don't check up hill all the time? Well that's just extremely stupid. Assuming all other traffic will just pull over for you is also stupid. Its like people using crosswalks without looking because they think they have the right of way. Take some responsibility and check up hill for gods sake. Carvers have the responsibility to look out for traffic behind them. Hope nobody gets hit today.

I personally check up hill as i said 2-3 times before initiating some turns but you can't have your head all the time turned up hill while riding it's physically impossible you also have to look in front of you and before you can turn your head up hill again "bam" there comes a skier flat liner!

Most of the people who hit me always say the excuse "but you made such a wide turn" and i answer to them "so do the little children learning ski on the run, next time aim at them you stupid jerk"!

Now that i saw it my avatar is from the day i got hit last year and at the almost same spot the picture was taken just after 20 minutes or so ,my left hand is with the broken finger so i'm wearing a XXL miten so it could fit my self made cast inside and i was keeping it up all the time!

Edited by valsam

I think that most folks are used to looking directly in front of them. Carving snowboarders and skiers can run at good speed across the run, taking up much more width of the slope. As two people approach each other, they become harder to see, as the movements go in and out of the field of your view.

With the fall-line speed difference from running fast straight versus carving across the slope, it's not so surprising that collisions don't happen more often. It's not really enough to say downhhill skier/snowboarder has right of way, it should probably be written to say, 'look left/look right downhill, snow users may be moving at fast speeds across the slope, and they have right of way; and they may really approach fast from out of your field of view when you get closer to them'. Bit of a mouth-full though.

I think that most folks are used to looking directly in front of them. Carving snowboarders and skiers can run at good speed across the run, taking up much more width of the slope ...

With the fall-line speed difference from running fast straight versus carving across the slope, it's not so surprising that collisions don't happen more often.

I agree, and I think that skiers (especially those straightlining) simply misjudge the speed a carver's going. Even if they see you, they just don't expect you to be doing 30mph "across" the run - and they think they've given you plenty of room, and get a real fright when they realize they haven't.

This is definitely a nightmare - I got cleaned up pretty good a couple of seasons ago, and I've had close calls on that same run since. Our local spot is notorious for straightliners and race kids - some days we'll simply bail off our favourite run because it's just not safe to ride it.

Put those bruises in a hot tub, and enjoy SES!

• Like 1

The higher the speed the narrower is the vision. This is the reason why people who shoot down the hill hit carvers. I don't count on my rights on the slopes anymore since one bad hit which left plenty of titanium plates in my arm. Probably looked like an owl again today on the slope a I kept constantly looking around 360 while skwaling among the skiers and boarders.

I personally check up hill as i said 2-3 times before initiating some turns but you can't have your head all the time turned up hill while riding it's physically impossible you also have to look in front of you and before you can turn your head up hill again "bam" there comes a skier flat liner!

Not that it's ok to get hit from behind but if you can 'check' up the hill 2-3 times per turn you are going too slow. Stop dragging your ass all and hands and gloves all over the hill and get some speed up, it will help.

Wasman, glad you weren't hurt. An empty slope and that skier had to hit you, unbelievable. Skiers just simply can't react/adapt on snowboarders ridebehavior and/or don't know the pisterules. Can't be that hard.

Same collision did cost me a (cracked, splitted) Dainese helmet and a light brain concussion on a red steep slope once a straightliner tipped my board from behind at high speeds.

Not that it's ok to get hit from behind but if you can 'check' up the hill 2-3 times per turn you are going too slow. Stop dragging your ass all and hands and gloves all over the hill and get some speed up, it will help.

Slow is better and boards with 11-12 scr's are just fine to carve at lower speeds and if you get hit it hurts allot less,my days of long boards with big scr's have long gone for me!

Check out how many times Ben looks up hill in his vid,well i do it twice the times!

A helmet with a camera on the back side of it that's connected with my mask would be an excellent gadget!!!!!!

Or maybe a jacket like this:

post-7476-141842358706_thumb.jpg

Edited by valsam

Just happened to have my helmet cam operating on a run last weekend. Could have ended MUCH worse. Skier did not fare as well... From what I hear, he ended up with a broken nose and separated shoulder. I walked away with a sore jaw and a big chip out of my board about 2" ahead of my front binding!!!!!

action is around 0:40 mark....

Headed to SES tomorrow, good thing I am not on crutches.....

Glad it turned out ok for you. Reread this thread and it reminded me of a similar thread on a British forum. Here is the vid (don't watch if you are of a nervous disposition)

thread http://www.goneboarding.co.uk/forum/crash-in-kitzbuel-with-a-skier-very-serious-in-jury-all-on-camera-dont-watc/threadid/38159/showthread.aspx

Glad it turned out ok for you. Reread this thread and it reminded me of a similar thread on a British forum. Here is the vid (don't watch if you are of a nervous disposition)

thread http://www.goneboarding.co.uk/forum/crash-in-kitzbuel-with-a-skier-very-serious-in-jury-all-on-camera-dont-watc/threadid/38159/showthread.aspx

This is the carver on carver scenario which we all are so careful to avoid. It's the reason we all are a little cautious riding with someone we haven't ridden with before and why a few people find themselves riding alone.