Note to New Members ×

Speaking of Helmets

Jack M

What is with these people wearing their goggles or/and their hats under their helmets? Then in order to put their goggles up they have to push their whole helmet back. In order to do that, they have to wear it loosely.

Loose helmets are known to fly off after the first hit in a crash.

:smashfrea

Just dropped my son off at the local bump and yes in the car on the way he was donning goggles before helmet. I was driving on slushy roads in freezing rain (thanks subaru) so who is the idiot ? Can't fight a trend Jack embrace it your son is next ! At least fastening the chin strap is still acceptable.

What is with these people wearing their goggles or/and their hats under their helmets? Then in order to put their goggles up they have to push their whole helmet back. In order to do that, they have to wear it loosely.

Loose helmets are known to fly off after the first hit in a crash.

:smashfrea

I just saw that on the WXG stream on ESPN3. Weird....kids today!

The number one "helmet" in snowboarding is made by Sandbox.

I won't hammer on it too much because it's making my friend Kevin lots of money. It is, however, no more than a "bump-cap" and has no certification at all.

Goggles inside the shell? Don't fight it. The kids run the show.

It doesn't matter anyway, as 90% of concussions come through the jaw and I don't see full-face sales taking off because of that little stat.

You can wear a tight helmet with goggles underneath. Not my style, but it does have its function. You can take off your helmet and still have your goggles on. Think hiking or skinning. Spring days or warmer bluebird days. Whenever you need to be wearing your goggles with and without your helmet.

It doesn't matter anyway, as 90% of concussions come through the jaw and I don't see full-face sales taking off because of that little stat.

See avatar... now see picture below.

I know, it's goofy/ugly looking and totally makes me look like a n00blet, BUT... full face helmet FTW!!!! It looks like my hands came out to save me - nope, didn't even get enough time to brace them - the chin guard of my full face went straight into the snow. The impact was so hard that my jaw (as in my face) hit the chin guard on the inside of my helmet. This is actually a downhill mt. biking helmet, which IMO is better than the vast majority of ski/snowboarding helmets since it has some sort of certification and testing to back it up. It can get a little bit cold with all of the extra venting, but then I just wear a very thin neoprene balaclava underneath it.

DSC_0213.jpg

Aaah yes, but with the goggle strap underneath we can see your sponsors stickers on the side of your helmet. And the kids follow their "heroes".

SunSurfer

Good point. Same reason why pro golfers wear their shades on top or behind their hats. Bunch of my golf buddies do the same thing with no idea why their doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

"Yes to ski helmets, but buyer beware"

"Heads-up federal government, it’s high time to establish a regulation so that skiers and snowboarders know that helmets purchased in Canada actually provide adequate protection."

Source:
Canadian Medical Association Journal

Letter in response . . .

Federal government must act on CSA standards for snow sport helmets

"I want to thank Canadian Medical Association Journal for publicizing the fact that most snow sport helmets available in Canada, fail to protect against brain injury and that action is required by the federal government.

On March 19, 2007, I tabled a Private Member's Bill C-412 that would prohibit the advertising, sale or import of recreational snow sport helmets which do not meet Canadian Safety Association (CSA) standards. CSA standards are superior to current domestic and imported helmets in preventing concussion. Unlike current helmets, they can also withstand multiple impacts.

Five years later, despite the advice, of Health Canada and an Expert Panel, to adopt the new CSA standards, federal Health Ministers refuse to do so.

My current Bill C-275 will add non-CSA approved recreational snow sport helmets, to the Hazardous Products Act. All it requires is the stroke of a pen by the Prime Minister. I would like to thank the Canadian Medical Association Journal for supporting the intent of my Bill."

Hedy Fry, Member of Parliament, Liberal Health Critic

Liberal Party of Canada

A company in Canada now has available a device to measure impact head twisting and other stats, it is presently being used by some hockey teams to alert the coach of any change a player may suffer as a result of sudden stops, etc etc.The device records information for later analysis.The neat feature is a small light that flashes when the wearer recieves a blow of potential harm, alerting the coach to do a quick check of the players condition. (check pupils, dizzyness, headache etc) The device is small aprox. 1 inch square and attaches to the helmet with two sided tape.Approx cost to outfit a team ~$3000 dollars.

I know, it's goofy/ugly looking and totally makes me look like a n00blet, BUT... full face helmet FTW!!!!

Hey I'm with you. I had the displeasure of watching my amigo kiss the hardpack at speed last week in an open face helmet. Result was nice lump on the forehead, pretty little shiner, and nearly 2 minutes of the day he just does not remember. After that I did some research on full face helmets. Could not find stats on increased neck injury. Though it seems possible. Apparently they are banned in world cup ski racing.

For me the best choice was the Troy Lee Designs D2. It exceeds the safety testing standards required for bicycles and snow sports. They are used by Palmer and Jacobellis in boardercross. And in downhill MTB racing. Although it is still a one-hit-and-replace helmet. Most are but for the new POC full face.

I rode in mine for the first time on Friday. I would recommend them to anyone. No real issue for me with weight, vision, or wind noise. I was worried about that visor in the wind but it was not a problem. You may be judged by others for the way it looks, but thats their trip. Honestly IMHO at the speeds most of us in this forum ride it makes sense to protect your whole melon. I am no fan of reconstructive surgery and I want only want to lose teeth to old age. I would like to read a study on the neck injury issue if anyone knows of one.

Dunno about the full-face thing, but the neck-injury thing is much on my mind at the moment. I took a nasty tumble two days ago and really felt that the new, much larger helmet I now wear - a Giro Nine-10 - put more strain on my neck than my older lower-profile helmet would have done. This was one of those deals where I was fully proned-out toeside coming around a built-up jump and didn't know about the drop-off on the other side. Toeside edge caught when I landed and flipped me right over onto the back of my neck. Still pretty sore today, although i'm sure it was a concussion at least if I hadn't had a hard-hat on.

I think a football-style mouth-guard has a lot going for it, but haven't gone that far yet.

I like my Kali Protectives Avatar full face helmet. I used to have a Giro Sestriere in the 59-60cm size that fit my head better that the 57-58 size of the same helmet. My head is 58cm and it fits great in the Kali medium size 57-58cm. I can fit a Smartwool balaclava underneath to take away the cold head syndrome because it is a mountain bike helmet.

I bought it because last year in a practice run for a BX event I rode down with another guy in my age group, washed out toeside on the last berm, and my chin ended up in front of his board. 7 stitches later I competed in the second heat later in the day but I figured out why they wear full face helmets:)

You will fog up quicker, that's for sure, but outside of that I think it is very comfortable. I took aff the visor because I hate the fact that, with it on, you cannot stick your goggles on the edge of the helmet so they don't fog up when you are not riding.