Note to New Members ×

Riding at Mountain Creek 2011/2012

jtslalom

I'm riding tonight around 6 pm till 8 or so (Wed 12/4) MC has been making snow around the clock for the last day or so. Today they will be able to make so all day long. I think the season may finally be here. I will also be riding Saturday and/or Sunday morning. Hope to see other carvers there.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mark,

Got a season pass to Mountain Creek again. Will miss tonight but catch up with you soon. That Donek Freecarve, in the sig, is a long term loaner. Now we have to plan "soft boot days" and "hard boot days". Teach me how to ride one again :lol:

I'm happy to hear that you have a pass to MC. I usually ride every Saturday or Sunday morning. Generally getting the first lift or so and riding until it gets crowded. I also ride once or twice a week at nights. Usually I get there around 3:30 and ride until 6 or so but that changes from time to time. I can't wait to ride with you. I will post whenever I go so try to do the same. There are a few guys I've been riding with who are hard booters that can help you out with anything but I don't think you are going to need it. Last I recall you rip on a board.

I rode tonight (Wed 12/4) and conditions were excellent. A matter of fact I would say they were almost to soft in spots for carving but beggers can't be choosers. There isn't alot of terrain open but I think that will change shortly. They have been making snow aroung the clock and it looks to me like they will be opening Zero-G and the old Garden State (I don't know any of the new names of the slopes).

I rode MC today (Vernon), for first time. From like 11 to 12:30 when I just gave up and hiked the beginner lift for exercise.

when I was riding the cab it was pretty intense. basically, just one stripe open from top to bottom. All kinds of abilities on it. From the helpless to frustrated park pro's. Most disturbing were the packs of these raging park riders, like 6 of them together, screaming down the hill like a stampeding herd. no problem with the front riders. but the last 2 should have been on the bunny hill (honing their still developing skills) but that did not stop them from doing suicide passes through the totally helpless. I was envisioning a compound fracture and thought I better get out of here while I still have two healthy femurs !

snow was pretty scratchy in the middle, at the edges it could get too deep for good carving (just killed your speed). bottom parts of slope narrow, you couldn't have any fun with your speed in the flats.

lodge is nice ! real nice !!

maybe next time I go (during the week) I'll get there at 9 AM sharp. I can see where the snow pack would be good then. maybe tomorrow. or maybe my YZ450 in the snowless mountains around the resort. ;)

c u soon JT.

I rode Sunday morning 1/8/12 and the conditions were not very good. It was pretty much frozen granular on top of ice. Carving on that type of snow is like carving on ball bearings, or in some cases golf balls. On a few slopes the frozen granular layer was thin and the surface was more like a frozen hard pack but still carvable. All in all it pretty much sucked.

I don't think they are going to have alot of opportunities to make snow this week. They were making it early this morning but chances are that won't happen much until this up coming weekend when temps will be consistantly below freezing.

I rode MC last night (Wed 1/11). It was pretty good. They made snow on Monday evening and it stayed nice through last night. The only problem is trail width. It was hard to really maintain a carve across the hill and break into another one without having to slide half way through it. The trail just wasn't wide enough.

I recently watched a video from Jan. 1st of this year that was shot out in Utah of some Bomber guys carving. I can't believe the difference in trail width. I keep on forgetting that the north east has some pretty narrow trails compared to out west.

I'll be riding tonight wed 1/18/12 at MC north. I'm sure the conditions will be hard as a rock but it is the only time I can get out. I will aslso be riding Thursday 1/19/12 from about 2:45 until 5:30 at north. Hopefully I will meet up with Joe (cafercr).

This weekend their will be a few of us riding on both Sat and Sun mornings. I will be there first lift on both days until about 10 am or so. Hope to see other carvers there.

I rode this morning, thursday, jan 19th, could no resist the sunshine. it was pretty decent actually. left about noon. hope it holds out for you tonight JT.

I'll probably ride again Friday, maybe the evening too. and maybe saturday morning. sunday my club is running a bike race. we finally got our ICE ! www.tristateclub.com

Sorry I missed you tonight JT, give us an update when you return tonight if possible.

I will be at North tomorrow (Friday) from open till about 3pm or so, depending on the conditions.

Also planning first chair both Saturday and Sunday (the wife will be keeping me company >Utah in 2 weeks:biggthump< get those legs in shape :D

Sic t 2 - if you will be there make sure to keep an eye out, I'll be passing off some pointers to my nephew....he is a newbie:lurk:

Joe

Wednesday night was icy but still very carvable. I had a great night riding but each run took about 25 minutes or so. The triple chair was the only lift running at north and it was slow. I got in about 6 runs.

Thursday afternoon (today) I went from about 3:00 until 4:30 or so. I got in the same amount of runs. MC made snow late Wednesday night and early Thursday morning. Conditions were better but not really consistant. Zero-G was still icy and carving down it is still difficult because of its width. The last third of the trail was nice though.

If you are going out tomorrow morning Joe you should have a pretty good morning. They are making snow all over the mountain so hopefully Great Northern will be open for you. They are also making snow on Upper and Lower Straightaway.

I will be there both Saturday and Sunday mornings. We are expecting up to 7 incehes of snow by Saturday afternoon. It would make for good carving conditions on Sunday morning. See you there.

Rode today Sat 12/21 from 8 am until 9:30 am. Got the first lift up and actually rode through fresh powder. Visibility wan't that good so I couldn't see my tracks. By my 4th run it was pretty beat up. I took about 6 runs all together. Conditions were soft on top with scratching hard pack underneath.

Sundays morning temps will dip in the single digits and the forecast calls for a bright sunny day with minimal winds. Provided they groom early in the morning, the snow should set up perfect. I think it will be one of the best carving days of the year. I'll be there for the first lift, hope to see other carvers.

I rode last night(Friday 1/27) Conditions weren't that bad. It was spring like conditions that were starting to harden. Carving through it was a little unpredictable but al in all pretty good. The temps are going to drop into the 20's tonight and the snow should set up like concrete. I will be riding on it Sunday morning. Hope to see others out there.

I rode today (Sunday 1/29) with Dave, Ken and Jessica. For having rain recently and immediate cold temps, Mountain Creek did an amazing job making snow over 12 hours and grooming. Conditions were pretty damn good. I rode my new Prototype Status snowboard. This board is amazing. I can say for sure that it is a board that I would ride with plates and hard boots. It gripped great, turned on the dime, and drove through turns like my old Volkl RennTiger. Had a great time riding.

Saturday was an amazing Spring Day at Mountain Creek. The Center mountain was a bomber's dream (Hardly anyone on it). Only bad spot was were the trails crossed between mountains because you would get the "skidders" going over to South Mountain for park riding.

Zero G was an Ice sheet and allowed for you to work on your ice carving skills. :-) I was amazed how many skidders were bombing it on their bellies.

The Newbies I had with me did well, some even asked about the old Alp and F2 I was riding.

Hey Mark, this is Voyta. It was nice to meet you on Sunday and I'm glad we did at least one run together. I hope to be able to join you and your friends sometime soon. I will be in Sweden the next two weeks, but when I get back hopefully we can get out there again. Maybe we'll even have some snow then :)

Hey Voyta,

It was nice to ride with you. We will have to get together and ride in a larger group. It is always nice to see a group of carvers coming down the mountain. I will be able to get out once during the week at night and on Saturday and/or Sunday morning. I will post when.

Hope to catch up with grobm. Happy to hear you had a good day. Keep those beginners riding.

If you guys have an idea on an evening maybe I can catch up then. I just work in the city so it hard to get the evenings in. I do work from home so I could try to meet up during the week. I was thinking the same thing about getting a good sized group to carve down MT Creek. Seeing another hard booter on the mountain is a rarity, I would also love to try out different boards and not have to go to the Rockies or Stratton to do it.

Maybe we could get a specific date setup in advance?

Evenings are practically impossible for me since I also work in the city. I was planning on taking a day or two off though at some point. If we decide on a date then it might work. I'd just spend the whole day there. Again, I'll be gone the next two weeks so only the second half of Feb would work for me. The idea of trying out different boards sounds very intriguing!

Voytazbrna,

Let's discuss potentiality "sick days" when you get back. I am happy to grab the boards I have and meetup during the week since I have a shop pass. Just wanted to check that everyone interested would be hard booting. :-)

Evenings are practically impossible for me since I also work in the city. I was planning on taking a day or two off though at some point. If we decide on a date then it might work. I'd just spend the whole day there. Again, I'll be gone the next two weeks so only the second half of Feb would work for me. The idea of trying out different boards sounds very intriguing!

I will be riding Mountain Creek this friday afternoon until evening. My name is John, Joe(cafercr) Nephew. If anyone wants to ride my cell number is 908 418 8075. Will be riding a Burton Alp. trying to ride as much as I can before ECES. Will also be there Saturday and Sunday morning for first chair.

Hopefully can meet up with some carvers.