Note to New Members ×

2009 SG Cult

Okay, this is the last inquiry post i will make before I pull the trigger on a "mostly carving" but also a little off piste hardboot board... Down to a few but the SG Cult keeps coming up. All Board Sports in Boulder has a few new "few year old", regular width (23cm) and wide (25.5). I would be putting a Nidecker Free Carve or Snowpro plate binding on it (I think)... Also, I think is is worth mentioning again that I am 230lbs 6'6" and wear size 31 mondo Head Startos pros.

Suggestions, criticisms etc?<O:pThanks again for everyone’s help in my search for the perfect all-mt. carving board.Anyone deal with All Board Sports in CO before? <O:p

Evan, you can buy with confidence from Bolla. He is an alpine rider and friend to the Bomber Community. Many here have had excellent experiences with him and All Board Sports. Keep in mind a store such as his has numerous employees and they are human. I would not be concerned about dealings with them.

As far as board choice, perhaps a good starting point? I am at a substantially different place in my snowboarding life. I.E.

I like longboards that are stiff and narrow. Not what you are after. As far as powder boards? Long and beefy. You are a big guy. That SG is definitely not going to offer you much resistance. Good or bad, hard to say without riding with you or knowing you better. Enjoy!!

Bryan

Thanks Bryan!

He was extremely helpful on the phone and suggests I go with the cult. He spent as much time as I needed explaining the intricacies of the boards and my options. I told him a price range and he respected it. Id say an SG Cult is a good deal for my wants and needs and he does too.<O:p

Any input, opinions, experiences on the Cult?

E<O:p</O:p

Thanks again Bryan. That spec sheet is top notch! All board companies should make that standard practice. I am pulling the trigger on it by week’s end as Im 98% there. Just need to decide on waist width. Logic tells me to go wider as I have big feet but I dont want to lose performance because of it. Thanks a ton for the link and info on ABS. Bola seems very genuine. I look forward to working with him. I contacted SG directly and they said this board is "the one for me" given my preferences and stature. They also said the Bola was the man. Ill keep you posted

I've owned and riden one. I'm pretty light at 160. It was on the stiff side for me so probably would work for you at least on the powder. Board was pretty good carver at my weight. Very fun off piste. Great float. Kind of regret selling it. Would like to try the 159 someday as a general purpose AM type board. The 169 was pretty much like a modern hardboot version of the 3800 169. The 3800 is a softboot board and works better for me at my weight for a powder board in hardboots. Hope this helps. I don't think you would be disapointed in the Cult.

Evan.

Let your boot angles decide. If you are likely to run lower angles with a size M31 boot you will probably want the extra width. If you are leaning to the carving side of things and run steeper angles go with the narrow. Default to Bola's recommendations. He is the MAN!!

If you get down to the Portland area, give me a shout. You are old enough to drink beer and talk snowboards right? :confused::ices_ange

PS. Appreciate you taking the time to get my name right. It is rare that someone actually does.

Thanks, Bryan

HA! Bryan, I got your name right because I too deal with this as people throw a K in front of my name at times.

After taking a look at the spec sheet, measuring my stance width angles I want to ride the wide is my choice, gladly so. It really is a sweet board and i am amped. Bola, being super helpful and accommodating, sent me a PDF of the advertisement and full spec sheet SG composed that showed each size and width, recommended angles etc. I can send it to you if you PM me your email. Its a really thorough sheet that I have only seen from SG (similar to the link you posted but more of an advertisment). I could not post it here as its not a jpeg and it exceeds the forum's limit of 97.7 KB to attach. Here is the picture Bola sent me so I could choose between top sheet colors. Mine is the grey on the right. Should be here mid week just in time for Saturday's trip to the mt. to break'er in! Thanks for your input with this!

<O:pcult.JPG

Nice! I didn't know that made the Cult in a 25.5 waist. Pretty cool. I can say that I have the softboot-specific Soul model in a 159 and it's quite a remarkable board. It works fantastically well in powder, and admirably enough in just about all other conditions that I always bring it with me to the hill and end up switching over to it about 40% of the time. It saves my butt on multiple occasions every season as it's a superior all 'rounder. I'm sure the Cult will be too. Have fun!

GREAT to hear that, Scrapster! I cannot wait to put it to the test. Here in WA we have every condition there is. Many times you will find hardpack cord, 8" of pow, slush and then hardpack all in a 7 day span. I have a soft boot Gyrator for the "white room" days but want to be a hardbooter the rest of the time.

This board is technically called the "Sigi All Mountain". It is a cross between the hardboot Cult and the soft boot Soul. I had NO idea it existed either until Bola told me about it. I can send you the PDF advertisement for it if you send me your email. I warn you though; you will want to buy one.... <O:p

Should be here mid week just in time for Saturday's trip to the mt. to break'er in!

<O:pcult.JPG

uh, yeah...... and which moutain is going to get to see the new board on Saturday???? oh yeah, did I tell you I switched days from Sundays to Saturdays now???? (hint, hint..... come on and ride with me!!!!!)

• Haha 1

It is a cross between the hardboot Cult and the soft boot Soul.

Really? I always thought that "Cult" was just the new name slapped on the board formerly known as "All Mountain" after the first one or two years. BTW, Cult und Soul are both out of production, though close-outs still seem to be available on Sigi's website.

uh, yeah...... and which moutain is going to get to see the new board on Saturday???? oh yeah, did I tell you I switched days from Sundays to Saturdays now???? (hint, hint..... come on and ride with me!!!!!)

HAHA! I WILL indeed come to see you... BUT now that you are Saturdays I have to wait untill my son's ski lessons are over mid Feb. as I will be at Mt. Spokane for 6 Saturdays in a row. In due time.

My first time out on Saturday on this was outstanding! Horrible conditions as it was loose groomers over ice but when I did hit a nice smooth pow track it wanted to eat up everything I came across. I am thoroughly happy with this and wonder where it has been all my snowboarding life:1luvu:

My first time out on Saturday on this was outstanding! Horrible conditions as it was loose groomers over ice but when I did hit a nice smooth pow track it wanted to eat up everything I came across. I am thoroughly happy with this and wonder where it has been all my snowboarding life:1luvu:

Great news!! Now you are set when winter returns in the PNW

you know what... I think you are right. That would mean what they did was take the all-mt. and make it the cult... Send me your email and I will send you the advertising spec sheet from Sigi.

Thanks for the offer, but no need. I already love my Bastard, and the wife already loves her Cult :ices_ange

Maybe the need for a name change came with the addition of a softboot board, which meant that there were now two "All Mountain" boards that needed different names to tell them apart.

That is correct, about the name change.

I've got a Cult 169. I really love it in steep pow and trees, good in moguls too.

Carves good, even switch is surprisingly good, considering pretty big taper.

I liked it less in low grade pow and medium-low grade slush.

What they could have done better, would be taking the sidecut a bit higher into the nose (decamber).

Verdict: I recommend it for true AM hard boot riding.

• 4 months later...

After roughly 20 days on it this recently past season (I had about 5 true pow days on my K2) I am still as much in love with this SG as I was when it first came into my life. I must really love it if I am writing a review at the end of May. Its funny I finally gravitated to this All-Mountain b/c my 20 year old F2 Flame is so similar to it, aside from an 8 lbs weight difference and loads of technology. There had been days where I couldn't push this thing hard enough and I felt stable on low grades as a 200ft evergreen in the Wenatchees. With that said, as few things better SG could have done and hope someday he duplicates and improves this already bodacious board. Nose is too soft. It should be noted I am on the heavier end of the weight limitation on this board but I still think if I was 20lbs lighter I still would overflex if I was really given'er. I just found some Kessler BX K. Plates that I THINK should rectify this. I still think, even though it says its meant for both, hardboots are the ONLY way to ride this slasher. I also would like to see this board 5 cm longer. I think it would add a load of stability to an already stable board. This extra 5 would come in handy on those not so great days we have where we can see, pow at first chair, ice at noon, and chop/slush for last call. I have laid out some great sprawling carves on it and she held true but adding a bit of length to her would allow me to lay it down with a bit more confidence. Non-the less I still think this is the ultimate board for me. So much so I have sold off everything but my F2 classic and my K2 gyrator softie so I could let her know I am dedicated to her and only her on days that DON'T start and end in pow.

post-10676-141842368648_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...
On 1/2/2012 at 3:06 PM, kinpa said:

Funny that I just bought the blue one last week, 6 years later. Anxious to try it.