Note to New Members ×

Want to get started in Boardercross... Quiver Optimization Question

mangle

First, hi. This is my first post here.

I got in to snowboarding a few years ago, and it has quickly become an obsession. I had two 5-day seasons, a 10-day season, a 30-day season, and then I took last winter completely off, moved to Jackson in December, then to Tahoe in April, and ended up with 103 days.

I have an equipment dilemma.

I have a basically new 2007/2008 Burton T6 162, a former demo 2010/2011 T7 162 with amazingly pristine edges and base, and a daily driver 2008/2009 T6 162 that's torn to **** (probably 120-140 days on it). I have Ride CADs on all of them. I have other stuff for low-key/park and powder days.

I want to set aside one of the first two for trying out boardercross stuff here in the Northeast. The 07/08 T6 has been ridden maybe 5 days now, and the edges have a few small nicks that I should be able to take out with a fine diamond stone pretty easily. It's been absolutely glorious on the ice I've seen at Killington the past few days... Leaving pencil lines through yellow ice is quite satisfying when I do it right, though I still can't make SL-sized turns on anything that hard.

I haven't ridden the T7 yet, as I just got the slot compatible disks this weekend. I'm leaning toward setting aside the 07/08 T6 for racing, using the T7 as a daily driver, and demoting the 08/09 T6 to a rock board or tuning it up and selling it.

Is there any reason I should do something different? Will I notice much of a difference between the old T6 and the T7? If I decide boardercross is something I'll stick with, I'll pony up for a real boardercross board.

Factory tune seems to be 1deg base bevel, 1deg side for a 90deg edge. I would think that there's a lot more turning performance to be gained by a more aggressive side angle. I have good 1deg base and side edge guides and could get shims for something more aggressive. Is this a good idea?

Thoughts?

I guess also relevant is the fact that I'm about 6'2", 175 lbs, size 10.5 Malamute, binding angles +30/-15 (knees are a little weird and really like these angles).

45* of splay and apline style carving are mutually exclusive imo. Most carve/race board riders use 3-5* difference, up to maybe 10-12* on wider boards.

But, I guess massive duck is ok for BX racing and quick recoveries.

Sorry I'm no help:freak3: looks like you have a good idea of what you want.

So you lived in Tahoe and Jackson, and then moved back to Boston? Why? IF you want to get into BX, move back out west.

The short answer is I'm finishing up a PhD at MIT. It's starting to look like I'll be here permanently after though.

Taking a winter off and bumming was one of the best decisions I ever made. I had enough consulting stuff to carry me through the season without eating in to riding time. I think I'll be able to take off again next winter, but we'll have to see what happens.

I may not have anything relative to contribute...but i can tell you that i love the boardercross style and considered/rode all of the boards you listed except the T7. I couldn't get ahold of one... and i have yet to see one. They all sold out so fast! I happen to find & buy a Palmer Black Crown 161 (from an X-racer) - which is the most rockin board i have ever owned!! :eplus2:

You can't go wrong with the T6 though.

If you are in Boston then it'll be easy for you to race the Maine Mt Series sbx races at Sugarloaf and Sunday river. Check out USASA snowboarding.

Buy a Donek Saber built to your size and weight. Burton doesnt make boards that will suit your size and riding style. Unless you can find a custom x wide 168.

27 degrees front

6 degrees back.

23 inch stance.

Malamutes will do. Check out Salomons new top of the line carbon bindings.

If you are in Boston then it'll be easy for you to race the Maine Mt Series sbx races at Sugarloaf and Sunday river. Check out USASA snowboarding.

Buy a Donek Saber built to your size and weight. Burton doesnt make boards that will suit your size and riding style. Unless you can find a custom x wide 168.

27 degrees front

6 degrees back.

23 inch stance.

Malamutes will do. Check out Salomons new top of the line carbon bindings.

Excellent. Thanks!

I'm already a USASA member, as I joined to start playing on the Lake Placid water ramps this past summer.

I love the T6 for most riding and had assumed it would work pretty well for this application... Sounds like the answer there is a firm no. Is it far enough off that it's not even remotely competitive, or is it good enough to get a feel for how this sort of thing works before spending the money on a real board? And for that matter, I have a Venture Storm 166. It's a bit wide, but would it work better?

I used to ride duck, and it was the first stance which actually allowed me to carve a turn. However, it was virtually impossible to carve a heelside at speed using duck. When I finally went to a forward stance, everything clicked, and I was able to start carving at speed as well. I also found it easier on my knees, and more forgiving of equipment setup. Anyway, I'd strongly recommend you at least try forward for a couple days. On my do-everything board I'm 30*, 21*.

If you're going back to Jackson for the winter, you absolutely need a splitboard.