Note to New Members ×

Ride Kilde

texfrost

As I don't see a "help" or section near that title, I'll try and post here. If it needs moved, please do, and I apologize if so.

I am riding an old Kilde 158 and have been for a couple years and have not gotten he hang of it. I took up slolam skiing two years ago, and that helped last winter, and I hope the same is true this year. Most of my riding is carving only, which is why I wanted to get into alpine.

So, my question is this: Is there a better board that I could be learning on? This has been kind of kicking my ass and is starting to frustrate me. We have some sweet riders here (sW Michigan), but they can't seem to teach alpine as well as they can for AASI, atleast not for me anyways. I know it doesn't help that I have plate bindings (what it came with, and I don't wish to re-drill) are set t pretty hard angles and are same front to back. In so much that it is irritating to my knees after a while.

My feet are in 2008 Dalbello Krypton Rampage boots for now.

As I don't see a "help" or section near that title, I'll try and post here. If it needs moved, please do, and I apologize if so.

I am riding an old Kilde 158 and have been for a couple years and have not gotten he hang of it. I took up slolam skiing two years ago, and that helped last winter, and I hope the same is true this year. Most of my riding is carving only, which is why I wanted to get into alpine.

So, my question is this: Is there a better board that I could be learning on? This has been kind of kicking my ass and is starting to frustrate me. We have some sweet riders here (sW Michigan), but they can't seem to teach alpine as well as they can for AASI, atleast not for me anyways. I know it doesn't help that I have plate bindings (what it came with, and I don't wish to re-drill) are set t pretty hard angles and are same front to back. In so much that it is irritating to my knees after a while.

My feet are in 2008 Dalbello Krypton Rampage boots for now.

<nostalgia>I rode a 158 Kildy for years, back when I lived in Oregon. (I actually just got rid of it this past summer). It was a great (but demanding) board back in its day. Very stiff, very narrow, and tight turning. The one I had was given to me by someone who could not ride it. I wouldn't put anyone on one unless they were already at least an intermediate carver. </nostalgia>

Nearly any modern board is going to be much easier to learn on than the 158 Kildy you have. What works best for you will be determined by your weight, how athletic you are, where your riding is, and to a lesser extent, your height. There are plenty of good used boards to be had on the classifieds here, I'd start there, and maybe search for past threads from other riders asking "what should I get" type questions. You will not be able to reuse your current bindings, you can reuse your current boots unless you want step-in bindings ... that said: starting off in ski boots will significantly impact your ability to progress quickly.

And yeah, one of the annoyances of the old boards is that changing your binding setup was a major commitment, so stance experimentation to get truly dialed is pretty much impossible. For that alone, it is way worth the upgrade.

Best of luck, and thanks for the walk down memory lane!