Note to New Members ×

Ottawa pre-season 2011/12!

Ian M

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris & I laid down some big trenches at Mont Cascades last night. I wish I could say "deep trenches" but snow (?) conditions were classic Eastern Canada powder. :rolleyes: There was a JP sighting (Tabby's newbie carver workmate) as well as a couple non-listers in hard boots.

Cascade has their main runs open but are still blowing snow, even on all the main runs, which made cruising at speed a little more challenging as we negotiated the substantial Wed nite Hot 89.9 crowds as well as the "mini snow storms" down the Promenade! On the bright side, given the size of the piles of artificial snow accumulating, it should be good for the WE. <fingers crossed>

For tomorrow, I will be at MSM with Tara if anyone else feels like playing hookey given that there is a serious dusting of snow coming in the next 24 hrs.

Saturday, I will be at CF on my freeride board with my instructor suit on!

- Brian

^ Sorry Tabby - no days off work this week :(

Ryan and I will be out at Cascades tomorrow night if anyone would like to join! I might ride there with him and Deb again on Saturday, then ski at MSM on Sunday. (Wheeee! Ski demos :eplus2:)

Free evenings next week are Tuesday through Thursday. Who wants to ride when?

Cheers!

Snow :D Snow :D Snow :D Snow :D Snow :D Snow :DSnow :D Snow :D Snow :D

My life is suddenly more messy than the road conditions. I am very tempted about tomorrow and will play it by ear if / when I get out of here tonight.

Other plans: Calabogie on Sunday morning and the Vorlage next week (possibly Tuesday). Still thinking about tonight.

I am so happy there is precipitation.

I've only been out 6 times this year but all at Pak. Was out yesterday aft and might try an hour or two this aft again.

I go for the deal days/coupons. but this is getting harder.....

From Calabogie site:

"The Peaks has discontinued half price Monday, $22 Tuesday and Season Pass holder bring a friend on Wednesday free offerings"

What has worked for me......

-MSM has $20 Tuesdays

-Cascades has promo/discount nights

-My Pak season pass usually gets 50% off the full rate at most locals.

-Tremblant I look online for unused lift tix that expire in less than a week that were part of vacation packages

-The Entertainment Coupon book usually has 2 for 1's or 50% off at a couple local hills and using 1 of the 2for1 dinner coupons usually pays for the book.

- COSTCO -- haven't tried this year.

- A Tremblant picture pass of any kind is usually good enough to get the Season Pass reciprocity rate at most hills

I hate paying full price for lift tickets!!

replied to your PM on the Rossi and/or Airwalk too.

//Paul

Feeling lonely at Pak, how are you dudes and dudette swinging affordability to enable carving multiple local hills during the week, ganging up on season passes?

Same as Chris said, but different - I join the Ottawa Ski Extreme club every year, which offers ticket and gear discounts as well as a great 10-week dryland training program. That usually gets me at least 15% off an lift tickets, often more.

If you're lonely, come out and play some night Mike! If you come to Cascades where I have a night pass, I can buy a discounted ticket for you.

Boy, today at MSM was chilly, but very fun :D. There were so many beautiful things to see in the cold - like ice on sunlit trees and vapour from the guns floating up into the air. I'm feeling almost-ready for ECES because I just did three consecutive days on snow!

Cheers :D

To add to what my worthy peers have already touted:

NCSC: One more benefit of the $25 mbrshp fee is that they run a bus to Mt Tremblant every Wed for $90. This gets you a lift ticket and a comfy ride on a luxury cruiser bus. I did this for years and I always appreciated, at the end of the day, that someone else was driving me home while I was having a cold one at the back of the bus!

Moreover, the Club Executive has convinced the Sutterman bros to hold CF Appreciation days on Fridays alternating at MSM & CF for active and retired military mbrs. I fall into the latter category (Damn it! I must be old!!!) and drove to MSM last Fri where I skied for free! This Fri is CF's turn if anyone fits the bill.

Costco/MT tickets. I am a mbr and had a look at their passes last WE - $65 (plus tx, I presume). However, in addition to a lift ticket, you receive a $10 lunch voucher as well, thus $55 & tx is a reasonably cheap MT tix (the NCS Club sold pre-season tx for $52 for this season (in the fall of 2011) - yet another reason to join) versus the ~$90 full pop iffn you show up at MT's ticket wicket.

T-66 and Club Max Discounts. Since MT started selling their T-66 limited season's passes, I have bought one every year. It is a great deal if you pay attention to the T-66 days. I always get about a dozen days out of my ~$350 pass. That's about $30/day at Tremblant! I love it!!! As mentioned by Paul, I need to try out that T-66 pass to get if I can get discounts elsewhere!

Did I forget anything? That Alzheimer’s is just around the corner; I know it...

BRP

If anyone would like to join me for carving this week, plans look like this so far:
  • Wednesday night at Vorlage with Tabby, Ryan, Deb
  • Thursday night at Cascades

Who's planning what for the weekend?

Cheers!

Just in case someone was planning to meet me at Cascades tonight, I'm bailing. Too... t..i..r..e..d. Why do I need this 'sleep' thing anyways? :mad:

Ian and I are just heading back from Cascades. His quote is " Its a thin layer of granular snow over machine groomed ice". Translation... It's carveable but hard and fast. Choose gentler slopes. We rode the back side all night and had an absolute blast.

Sounds good enough for me, I was on the fence but am going to try to and squeeze in a few hours at Pak tomorrow morning......

That run down the back of Cascades is EPIC. Wide and steep, then wide and gentle with a wicked knoll to play with. Fu-un! Chris and I worked most of the night on laying clean carves all down the steep pitch, but it was a real challenge. I ended with a run where only one toeside was shaky, but Chris made a really smooth run! (He was on a way-too-stiff board, too) The gentler bottom section was covered in our tracks by the end of the night... very nicely defaced/decorated :D.

I think that the key to hard, fast conditions like right now is to choose somewhere that you can manage your speed comfortably. Any of us could have a blast (and a reasonable challenge) riding Pakenham right now.

ahhhh... :sleep: