Note to New Members ×

Ottawa pre-season 2011/12!

Ian M

According to my sources; cascade is open nights. They are reporting 25% open (or 6 runs). Actually, all the hills in the hood with night skiing are now open nights. Guessing with kids out of school this week, things could be a bit of a zoo.

Hoping this snow continues. It is wonderful to see it falling in profusion!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks,</O:p

<O:pLast year, the National Capital Ski Club partnered with Tommy & Lefebvre to organize an awesome weekend package to Jay. It was such a success that the Club's trip guy, Jack, has put together three trips with T&L this season. Tara & I are considering the Feb excursion and am looking for someone we know to share a quad cabin.</O:p

<O:pCheck out the incredible pricing below (I am assuming this is a per person price) which includes transport, accomodation and lift tix for three days. T&L uses their corporate status to pass on this deal to us.

</O:p

<O:pFor anyone that has not been to Jay Peak in a few years, the skiing/riding is as good as ever, however, they built an amazing new lodge (the old one was like an old slipper; small, comfortable but well worn around the edges) that is far superior to the one that is no more. Plus, they are talking of expanding their snow area!...

<O:p- Brian</O:p

<O:p552-0034 if you have Qs</O:p

Jay Peak Express

January 20-22<O:p</O:p

February 10-12<O:p</O:p

March 16-18<O:p</O:p

$275 (price subj to change)<O:p</O:p

Transportation: Bus Departs 07:30 from National Capital Ski Club with pick-up at T&L Warehouse Lancaster Rd. Sunday return after ski day. Free parking but only if vehicle details are provided at registration.

<O:p</O:p

Accommodation: Ski in/Ski Out 2Bdrm Condos: Quad Occ (up to 6 people per unit depending upon configuration).

Ski Lift Tickets: Friday afternoon, all day Saturday & Sunday.

Registration/Payment: Register in person, by email or by Fax. Payment by Credit Card only. $275 is Non-refundable.<O:p</O:p

Visit www.ncskiclub.ca for details

May want to reconfirm that Brian. Received an email today. Price is up to $340.

May want to reconfirm that Brian. Received an email today. Price is up to $340.

Hence the "subject to change" rider. Jack the Trip Guy was telling me that he had been given a quote less lift tix so $340 per person is still a helluva deal for "ski in/ski out" condo accn at Jay Peak. Lift tickets are $75 ea at Jay so a $65 increase for three days of tix still sounds good to me!

From experience, all the condos have a good kitchen area so meals can be done in-house if desired to keep meal costs down. Also, if anyone is interested, please note that the Jan trip has been cancelled.

I am still looking to go in Feb if anyone wants to join Tara and I.

Cheers,

Brian

I've also heard great things about Mont Blanc. They apparently have one side that's perfect for carving. Habitant is supposed to be great too, been meaning to ride those for the last couple of years but haven't gotten around to it.

Having ridden Mt Blanc, yes, IMHO the third (north?) face is the best for freecarving in that the pitch is the most consistent and it is the furthest away from the main lodge so it is usually the side less skied/ridden.

Well, I went to Camp Fortune on Christmas Eve morning and the conditions were fantastic! Grooming was great, no one was around all day and the sun was shining brightly. A truly remarkable day in the Ottawa valley. I had a Volkl Renntiger board underfoot and had a great day!

The next morning, I jumped into my car early and drove to Mt Tremblant where the weather had completely changed around for Christmas Day. The snow was falling steadily making for flat light conditions. Moreover, MT had its typical early season fog at the top of the mountain as the guns were going full force trying to open up more runs. MT was definately behind the normal power curve in terms of getting terrain open due to the lack of natural snow. Still had a good day, but took the board off early as I got beat up pretty fast bouncing through the rough stuff late morning. That and there were more people out than I expected; most of them going slooooowww which made for dicey riding when I was trying to go fast, in the fog, around slow moving skiers!...

Hey everyone,

Edelweiss was cold this morning, it was nice and firm as well. The early start and cold temperatures kept many of the scrapers away, but the lack of snow started showing by around 11am. They are making like crazy. On the drive up, Cascade was hidden behind a fog of snow-making.

I am planning on being at Calabogie for first lift on New Years Day (9am), if others are up for it, would love to see you there.

Happy New Year!

Update for Vorlage. Snow coverage not bad today given our situation. Really only one run open (worth carving on) but they are still in dire need of snow. Base is thinning out with mild temps but I was still impressed considering it's mostly artificial.

Snow, snow, snow...everybody!

Calabogie was pretty great this morning. Super impressed at the conditions of the runs that were open and I wanted to ride (the greens were a little rough, and coverage left something to be desired under the second chair lift). Everything got soft around noon because it was warm and there were more and more people.

From about 9am till almost 10am there were more lifties then skiers!

Happy new year everyone.

^ Glad to see so many people out on NY's day! I went to MSM, and it was very good. The base is a little thin on one of the green traverses, but otherwise the four runs that are open (two on each side) were excellent!

Happy New Years everyone :D

Mike, I have been buying the Head fabric ski gloves sold at Costco for a number of years now. Yes, they always sell out fast and are good for just cool days. For the seriously cold days, may I suggest the mitts that MEC sells?

Hey Brian, yesterday while the cold front was blowing into Ottawa Valley I ended up night skiing at Pak with outer-mitt-shell over the fabric gloves. This ended up being a low-cost, high performance ticket for my warm digit fixation. CHEERS! Mike

Thx Tabby,

... for putting the coupon on the Oddawa msg board. I will try and get to Cascade on a Wed evening later this month.

I am off to Mt Tremblant again this WE. if anyone else is in the neighbourhood, you can text me at 613-552-0034.

I will be laying trenches in the early morning (I have "First Tracks" lift tix this WE) while the cord is in good condition, then go incognito when I switch to skis for the balance of the day.

-Brian

^ Well, Tremblant is tempting, but i think I'll go to Vorlage instead tomorrow (Saturday). I like the view better from the top :rolleyes:.

Seriously, Chris will be up there with his daughter, so I'm joining him. Anyone else wanna come and play?

Plans for Sunday are still open - does anyone feel like Calabogie?? :D

Just a quick note to let all you local carvers know that MT now has all the main runs open (although they are still blowing lots of snow to get the parks built).

The most entertaining view from the chair was watching a Nor-Am PGS SB event on McCullough. It was great fun watching the up-and-comers fly down the run in the fog!

However, pse note that only the top of the mtn was fogged in. Most of the mtn was in bright sunshine for most of both days so we all had an awesome time!