Note to New Members ×

Ottawa pre-season 2011/12!

Ian M

^ The perfect early Christmas present!!

Time for the hike is very flexible; maybe leaving Ottawa around 10:30am?

Funny thing is, I tried for MSM this Saturday, but got lost. Hey, there was an accident blocking the main road, so I tried the side roads but didn't have a map with enough detail. Almost ended up at Lac Poisson Blanc. Doh! :eek:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiking ski hills is surprisingly fun and really interesting. I bet you wouldn't have been lost if you had brought a better GPS ... say someone who never gets lost! Wish I could join you ... but I am going to be away for a while.

I have to say the first snowfall was magical (not to rub it in). The world was white and wonderful and all I could think was winter is coming!

Ian...I'm out for Saturday as I'm out of town over night and can't guarantee I'll be back in time. I have a feeling it'll be a rough go for my fitness level once I get on the mountain. Too bad the snow is melting :( Mother Nature is such a tease...leads us on and drops us.

• 2 weeks later...

It may be slim pickings, but there are at least three local hills opening some runs this weekend! Finally!! It only took them EIGHT MONTHS to figure out how to make SNOW again :rolleyes:.

The list looks like Calabogie, Fortune, and Pakenham so far. What are YOU doing this weekend? :D

^ Nice Paul! I think I'll go and help christen Calabogie. I'll come and ride Pakenham with you sometime though.

What goes through everyone's head that first day? I always experience such a mixture of emotions: excitement about finally riding, and concern that I've forgotten how to carve or that it won't be as fun as I remember. Of course, it's always f*#%ing awesome, and my soul shouts 'wheeeee!' :D

I'm holding out...I've gone this far so I'll just ride out the anticipation in hopes we'll get a good dump within the next 2 weeks.

Get out yer slalom boards folks! I'd imagine it'll be a s*#tshow...the ol'meat gates. It'll keep you on your toes for the first time out anyway ;) I'm just jealous though...

Hey everyone, here's an update on conditions at Calabogie and Pakenham!

Calabogie has two runs 'open', but when I drove in today, they looked pretty... brown. On closer inspection, they were pretty... brown. Not the type of conditions I'd put an older board on. Uber disappointing. I got back in my car, and drove to Pakenham.

Pak was definitely better. Only one run open today, but quite good snow. (Fairly soft granular that scraped down to icy spots by 2:30pm) It was somewhat crowded through the afternoon, but after 8 months of waiting it felt like heaven! Bumped into a lot of people I knew, including Paul (Loopback), Neil (softbooter who also carves), and a skier who is putting together a HB set-up and was looking for info on boots.

It sure felt like a first day - I even fell over the first time I tried to carve :rolleyes:. Maybe it was Pak's fault because it wasn't steep enough?? Sure, let's go with that! The day got better, though. It comes back so quickly, and we even had sun for a few hours. Paul was breaking in some new boots, and it was great to do some runs with him.

As long as the temperatures stay down, there should be lots more open next weekend. I think everyone is making a fair bit of snow now. Think snowy thoughts, and maybe we'll get a nice natural dump too!

Cheers :D

Jealous of everyone who managed to make it out today. Even though it sounds like it wasn't great, it really is better than nothing. Soon - need to recover from my crazy month. And for those of you who were curious; there was no snow in the Alps when I arrived. I was there for the first fall of the year, but it wasn't much. Soon - snow. I believe winter can't hide forever.

FINALLY!!!

Had a great 1st day on snow at Pak on Saturday, bumped into Ian getting off the lift for my 1st run of the year and had a good few hrs riding together.

Went back on Sunday AM and they have opened the top of exhibition and widened out the rest of it by another 20 feet or so. Had 2 hrs of nice groom and no crowds.

Headed to Tremblant on Thursday with Ryan. He's got a bundle of new gear to try out, so it'll be early Christmas for him!

I'm just happy to celebrate the passing of the shortest day of the year by spending the majority of it outside snowboarding :D.

Anyone else able to play hookey?

the pockets on the backs of the liner gloves hold heat packets (sold separately) for additional warmth

Nice... toasty paws are the bomb. How many runs did Pak have open by Monday?

I'm passing on work tomorrow to go to Tremblant... perhaps with Ryan, but he's now a maybe 'cause he's :barf:.

Nice... toasty paws are the bomb. How many runs did Pak have open by Monday?

Heads-up for everyone . . . these gloves will need the chemical warmers or an additional liner, maybe both, to actually keep my cold digits warm during sub-zero days. Appropriate gloves for those warmer spring skiing days. Have my eyes on 3-finger (lobster claw) gloves - just have to get over sticker shock.

Ian . . . the Loop, Upper and Lower Exhibition - basically one run only. But, it was great to have the muscle memory kick-in, no crowds, and remnant cord to enjoy.

M.

Have my eyes on 3-finger (lobster claw) gloves - just have to get over sticker shock.

Mike,

I have been buying the Head fabric ski gloves sold at Costco for a number of years now. Yes, they always sell out fast and are good for just cool days. For the seriously cold days, may I suggest the mitts that MEC sells? They typically run somewhere north of $100 but are an excellent product that have kept my digits warm in the coldest of cold days. I just ran over to MEC's site and they now have a variety of mitts from $74 to $189. Have a look:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/GlovesMitts.jsp

- Brian

Hi folks,

My game plan is to be at Camp Fortune on Sat - Xmas Eve; arrive early & leave early. On Sunday (Yep, I know it is Christmas Day), I am contemplating leaving Ott at 6 AM to ride the morning and leave in the early afternoon.

Any takers? If so, you can call me at 552-0034 or reply here.

- Brian

Hi folks,</O:p

<O:pLast year, the National Capital Ski Club partnered with Tommy & Lefebvre to organize an awesome weekend package to Jay. It was such a success that the Club's trip guy, Jack, has put together three trips with T&L this season. Tara & I are considering the Feb excursion and am looking for someone we know to share a quad cabin.</O:p

<O:pCheck out the incredible pricing below (I am assuming this is a per person price) which includes transport, accomodation and lift tix for three days. T&L uses their corporate status to pass on this deal to us.

</O:p

<O:pFor anyone that has not been to Jay Peak in a few years, the skiing/riding is as good as ever, however, they built an amazing new lodge (the old one was like an old slipper; small, comfortable but well worn around the edges) that is far superior to the one that is no more. Plus, they are talking of expanding their snow area!...

<O:p- Brian</O:p

<O:p552-0034 if you have Qs</O:p

Jay Peak Express

January 20-22<O:p</O:p

February 10-12<O:p</O:p

March 16-18<O:p</O:p

$275 (price subj to change)<O:p</O:p

Transportation: Bus Departs 07:30 from National Capital Ski Club with pick-up at T&L Warehouse Lancaster Rd. Sunday return after ski day. Free parking but only if vehicle details are provided at registration.

<O:p</O:p

Accommodation: Ski in/Ski Out 2Bdrm Condos: Quad Occ (up to 6 people per unit depending upon configuration).

Ski Lift Tickets: Friday afternoon, all day Saturday & Sunday.

Registration/Payment: Register in person, by email or by Fax. Payment by Credit Card only. $275 is Non-refundable.<O:p</O:p

Visit www.ncskiclub.ca for details

Wow, interesting Jay package Brian. Have you heard about their new waterpark? They even have a standing wave! http://www.jaypeak.ca/en/waterpark.html I'll be out of town for the holidays, tearing up Sir Sam's near Haliburton, but look forward to riding with you in the new year. :biggthump

Riding Tremblant today with Ryan was... challenging :D. Firm granular snow scraped down to piles and ice by noon in most steeper spots. Greens and some blues stayed pretty good until we left at 3pm. Ryan really wanted to one-up my story of falling during my first carve this year, so he fell and took out a skier :rolleyes:. He should be awarded bonus points for this maneuver, because both of her skis came off despite the low speed of the collision. He was very polite and apologetic and feels sincere remorse for his actions:o.

Despite being challenging riding, I'm glad I went. On the first lift, we ran into a guy named Laurence who carves mostly at Mont Blanc. He said that some Saturdays, up to 30 carvers ride there! He was sporting a demo Jasey-Jay slalom board with plate, and had lots of good things to say about it. He also claimed that the conditions at Mont Blanc are normally much better than Tremblant. Food for thought!

Happy holidays to everyone, and best wishes for the new year!

Ian :D

^ Yeah, I think the 'good' side was closed when Chris and I tried it last year. It was icy, too. Definitely sounds worth another try!

I liked Habitant, there was a session organized there two years ago. It was enjoyable, but fairly small and had a gentle slope.

Has anyone heard rumblings about Cascades opening nights yet?