Note to New Members ×

Ottawa pre-season 2011/12!

Ian M

Hey Ottawa carvers! It's September already, which means that my brain is in full-tilt snowboard mode. I thought I'd come and share my (almost boundless) enthusiasm :D

This year looks like an exciting season; the last week of February is already booked off at work for the East Cost Expression Session, and I have a shiny new pair of skis waiting to be... flown! That's right, I picked up some all-mountain carving skis to round out my sliding fun. I'm looking forward to teaching carving more this year, so please feel free to ask for focused teaching meet-ups with me as well as free-carving.

September is also the month that seasons passes are on sale at most hills, so I thought I'd share some thoughts. Last year I finally tried Mont Cascades, and ended up visiting a few times because I liked it a lot. There are steeper, wider runs than Vorlage, and after a few years riding nights in one spot I'm ready for a change. There is also riding 'by the hour', so if anyone is interested in coming out just a few times, it should be very affordable. It seems that many of us have 'lone wolf' tendencies and differing resort preferences, but it would be great fun to have a regular meet-up night. Varying locations might make this more interesting too! Think of it as a 'local hill buffet'..?

Lastly, (I know, I just talk and f*#&ing talk :P) I'd like to invite everyone to a November get-together to watch some great carving videos and maybe old Warren Miller stuff if I can find the carving footage I remember. The only catch is that I can't host it! My apartment and TV are simply not up for the job. Anyone looking to show off their big screen?

I hope the summer has treated everyone well... it has been a nice one. Looking forward to seeing you all and making some trips and turns together! :biggthump

Cheers,

Ian

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Acceptance is the first step on the road to recovery.

This problem seems specific to snowboard... hmmmm!

Here is the info on the Latitude card from Tremblant; up to 4 tickets at $50 each. Brian also mentioned the T-Max (two-for one) and the T-66 deals, but they are not listed yet. I'm thinking of buying four tickets for Tremblant this year :)

For anyone interested in trying Jasey Jay's new boards, there are opportunities nearby. I also asked JJ about demos at ECES, and it sounds like Eric Snyder from RaceBoarding.com will bring some boards. There are three stores in Quebec that will be stocking the boards, and I believe we can test them out:

• Max Ski Service in Mt-Tremblant
  • Mont Saint-Sauveur Internation (MSSI) ski shop
  • La Boutique Sharks in Laval

Cheers,

Ian :D

Hi all,

I just made email contact with Angus Fairgrieve (Knightchocolate), and he is part of a group of 4 people buying Cascades night/day passes. (Weekdays are included when you buy a night pass)

I'm signing up as person #5, if three more people join then passes will only cost $85@. Currently with four or more people they cost $95. Who's in? :D

Cheers,

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Bah, if I get out 4-5 times it's all good : )

No super-unobtanium just regular :D However, there's talk in the biz about experimenting with a new metal core that responds to earth's true magnetic north...something like Gyrokore? Apparently helps with stability and maintaining good balance throughout the turn ;)

Note: Please do not go emailing and calling Bruce about this or my board may never get made!

Hi Ian et al,

Well, I am not quite as ready for winter as Ian, however, I have started planning my winter vacation(s). I am headed to UTAH with my new GF in March. Check out the wickedly low prices for the first three trips the National Capital Ski Club has organized to date! (ncskiclub.ca) I will also look at the ECES in Feb. Thx for the heads up Ian!

Recently had a long chat with Chris who directed me here. I am definately up for a pre-season war story session! In fact, I will even volunteer to host if you snow dogs can get your collective tails to Orleans. At the moment I am planning a mid-Fall bike ride for friends that I jokingly refer to as the "Tour d'Orleans." We have done this for the past three years and it is always a ton of fun. The gig is to get together mid-day and go for a leisurely (to be inclusive of the women who join in) 2-3 hr ride around the flat lands of the neighbourhood to see some of the more interesting sights (yes, I can assure you there is some wonderful scenery in the east end of town). Hybrid or mtn bike is recommended since some sections are off-pavement. The "finish line" is at my BBQ for a beerfest and further socializing. You can come for the ride or the beer call or both - your choice.

I would be delighted to turn this occasion into a pre-season carving call. Who is willing to volunteer the videos? While the date and details are yet to be confirmed, Sat 22 Oct is the preferred date (the following WE is the other choice). Chime in Ottawa area posters!

Hey Brian!

That sounds like fun. I'd be up for bikes, bbq, and boards :) Thanks for offering the venue!

I've some short videos pulled from the net which are pretty good, and if anyone else has some favourite footage just shoot a link my way and I'll bring 'em all. There's cool classic Warren Miller carving footage too - I just have to figure out which one of the 52 films it was in...

Cheers!

Brian! I resemble ... I mean resent that comment about riding slow so that the girls can keep up! I would be up for a get together, might even bring a bike. Never been to Orleans! Do I need to bring my passport? :AR15firin

How many months till snow season? I will be buying the 4-pass at Tremblant and am looking for people to play mid-week hooky with me. Also plan on SOS and ECES this year, so keep me in the loop!

Happy Friday

So so far... except I've driven farther for a yummy snack :)

Dryland training with the Extreme Ski club starts next week if anyone's interested. I did it last year and felt very well prepared for the season, for the first time! Just ask if y'all have any questions...

http://www.skiextreme.ca/programs/dryland.html

Cheers,

Ian

OK Boys & Girls,

<O:p</O:p

The fourth annual Tour d’Orleans is set for Sat 22 October 2011. RSVPs by Wednesday 14 Oct, please!

Here is the game plan: <O:p</O:p

RV at my place between 12:30 & 1:00<SUP>1</SUP>.<O:p</O:p

Depart for a 2-3 hour casual bicycle ride around Orleans’ best tourist attractions. If Tabby cycles as fast as she promises we will have more beer-drinking time…<O:p</O:p

Return to my place for a late afternoon BBQ<SUP>2</SUP>, socializing and carving vids courtesy of Ian. This is a rain or shine event. Come prepared for whatever the weather has to dish out<SUP>3</SUP>. Unless the conditions are absolutely miserable, we will start outside on my large deck, then migrate inside as appropriate. <O:p</O:p

If you do not own a bicycle or have other plans for the afternoon, you are welcome to drop in anytime after 4 PM to join the party.

Brian & Tara <O:p</O:p

613-552-0034<O:p</O:p

Snowsurfer^at^rogers.com <ADJUST ; spammers precluding at attempt my please sign, the for “at”><O:p</O:p

1089 Chablis Park<O:p</O:p

Orleans, ON

Notes<O:p</O:p

1 – If anyone needs some minor bike maintenance such a putting air in tires or tightening a spoke, I will be happy to pull out my pump or my spoke wrench at 12:32. At 12:58, I will be somewhat less patient.

Judge your arrival time accordingly!<O:p</O:p

2 – BBQ is BYOB – Bring your own Beef/Pork/Lamb. Tara and I will whip up a cornucopia of salads and vegetables. I also have two cases of beer left over from our recent (combined) BD party; Sleeman’s Honey Brown & Corona. I am looking for volunteers to empty those two-fours so I can get my bottle deposit back. For those bringing wine, be advised that Tara and I prefer French and Italian versions.<O:p</O:p

3 – I will make two bathrooms and one shower available for folks to clean up if the weather is at its worst – which has happened in the past - and actually made the ride more of a giggle! <O:p</O:p

I think we had an OK summer, the weather was better than last year. Although, riding in sleet is not my idea of fun (cold, wet, bike - pick two). Yesterday I was standing at the bus stop in the rain thinking, if only it were 10C colder, all this would be snow! I have decided that fall is a nasty tease!

Looking forward to seeing people at Brian's. I feel like I am going to have to put some serious miles on my bike between now and then so that I can put my tires where my mouth is.

Last year I finally tried Mont Cascades, and ended up visiting a few times because I liked it a lot. There are steeper, wider runs than Vorlage, and after a few years riding nights in one spot I'm ready for a change. There is also riding 'by the hour', so if anyone is interested in coming out just a few times, it should be very affordable.

So you finally tried it. And it only took like 3 years of me yapping about it. I "lone-wolf" at Cascades because of the wide runs and lack of crowds.

So you finally tried it. And it only took like 3 years of me yapping about it. I "lone-wolf" at Cascades because of the wide runs and lack of crowds.

Yup... right you were! It can take me a while to come around to something when the old thing is still working for me :P

Looking forward to making some turns together at Cascades.

Cheers!

Warren Miller's 62nd Anniversary, “Like There’s No Tomorrow”.

Movie will be held at Centrepointe Theatre, 101 Centrepointe Drive, Ottawa, On K2G 5K7. Showtimes will be on Thursday, October 27, 2011 – 8:00 pm.

Tickets available at:

1. Tommy and Lefebvre
  2. Capital Tickets
  3. Centrepointe Theatre Box Office

For more info see this link:

http://www.skinet.com/warrenmiller/events/centrepointe-theatre

Anyone interested?