Note to New Members ×

Minds in the Water

softbootsurfer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You start on a larger board.  Your weight in Kg plus 15 to 20 litres.  Then progress to something this size or smaller.  Ride Engine 5'0"/80 litre with Lift Foils 250HA hydrofoil.  At 85 kg this board just supports my weight.332851966_RideEngine.JPG.0a96bfd415d512cacf706c6d5afe2a25.JPG

Edited by Rusty Edges
  • Like 3

There is no load on your back because there is no harness.  Like all sports though, you need to engage your core muscles.  Riding toe side may be uncomfortable for some, due to the twisting, but I figure most here have developed exceptional core muscle stability from alpine carving.

Actually, once up on the hydrofoil there is very little load on your arms either.  Some riders, myself included, use a very small belt harness with hook and harness line on their wing for long tacks to allow for better drive through your feet and better upwind angle. The harness is not needed,  and discouraged, when learning.  When it comes to playing on the windswell or waves the wing will sit nicely in a neutral position held by the leading edge handle.

While learning you will get alot of arm fatigue.  Once you learn to relax your hands your sessions will get much longer.  You don't need a "death grip" on the wing. I often find myself riding with just two or three fingers on the handles.

Edited by Rusty Edges