Note to New Members ×

Old Man

softbootsurfer

Father's Day was Sunday. I had a chance to reflect on the life of a remarkable man. His father died when dad was only 12. The family lost their farm in the Depression. In the 1930s he was a competitive ski jumper. Dad enlisted in the Army Air Corps in WWII and was tapped for Officer Candidate School. Despite the lack of a college degree and not being a pilot, he made full Bird Colonel at the young age of 41. It wasn't until I enlisted in the Air Force that I fully realized how remarkable that was. Dad went on to become one of the top officials at the National Weather Service. After retirement he took up flying and sky diving.

In a few weeks he'll turn 90. He closely follows my snowboard and ski racing career and offers encouragement at every opportunity. He's the "go to" geek for computer problems among residents at his retirement home in South Carolina. Now that I'm a grandfather myself I have a greater appreciation for how lucky I've been these many years.