Note to New Members ×

Who has/rides VIRUS ?

kamran

kreeves, best thing would be to get in contact with them directly.

Email: VIRUS-Snowboards@t-online.de or call Frank @ 49 6022 655553

If you want, you can also email me with some questions and I try to help you with my own experience...

As kamran said, these boards run about 900 Euros, but depending on model and what you want can much more than that

But Frank can help you with the decision…

kamran, good choice! Yes, let us know what you think... after a full day of good riding you should know ;)

Ray

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, I've been on plates for 8 years, rode lots of Burton, Oxygen, F2, Hot, Nidecker, Donek and Prior boards, and even a few ex-racer JJA, Darren Chalmers and Mark Fawcett race boards and yes even a Madd 158 for a short while. I ride 325LTD Raichles (the pearl white ones) with RAB, soft tongues and soft springs. Bindings are Cateks, and I like steep angles, 66/63 usually, so I am OK with narrow boards. After years of wondering, I finally took the plunge and bought a Virus. So....

I am still learning after 5 days on the board, but I find it can carve any radius I want, any time I want. I never worried about threading though the crowds before, I could always find a space, but now I'm laughing all the way down the hill, carving circles around the beginners, turning others into slalom gates, it’s a whole new level of freedom in riding.

I don't go for the euro carve stuff, but I'm dragging body parts all the time now, and often this is on ice that others are complaining about. Edge hold is amazing, and the board is very friendly.

Wow. Not that I'm the greatest rider, but I have to say that many people would never know how good a Virus is even if they rode it - the board needs your input, and it then performs accordingly. Kinda like driving my SCJ Mustang - if you never opened the back 2 barrels, you'd never know it was a monster. For you younger guys, kinda like driving a Honda and never getting into the VTEC. Nice drive, but wow, if you really go for it the equipment is right there with you. That's Virus.

post-128-141842200663_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Chris Houghton

I am still learning after 5 days on the board, but I find it can carve any radius I want, any time I want. I never worried about threading though the crowds before, I could always find a space, but now I'm laughing all the way down the hill, carving circles around the beginners, turning others into slalom gates, it’s a whole new level of freedom in riding.

I don't go for the euro carve stuff, but I'm dragging body parts all the time now, and often this is on ice that others are complaining about. Edge hold is amazing, and the board is very friendly.

Wow.

Chris, seems you are a happy camper :D

Ray

Kreeves,

Sorry, I have to dissapoint you again. My only donek is a donek axis 177. I just got it and haven't had more than 2 days on it.

axis is an all mountain board and even if I was an authority to dare the comparison, it would still be like you said; apples vs oranges.

I think Chris's summary should give a good overall impression as of now and when it comes between a donek freecarve and virus, we should definitely get Ladia on board to give some feedback. I believe he has good experience with both virus and donek freecarve, and he is a hell of a rider. He doesn't just ride the groomers on plates, but he rides on any slope in any conditions.

Ladiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,

where are you????????

Guest kreeves

kamran

thanks for the reply. I have an axis 182 also. It is a great ride and I was looking into getting another board. Probably a freecarve but maybe something else.:cool:

Does virus have any swag like stickers an such?

Guest Randy S.

Kamran:

Did you already get your replacement Virus?

Compound Radius: This simply means that the curve of the board is defined by different radii at different parts of the edge. In other words it might be more curved underfoot than at the ends. There also used to be boards with assymetric radius (as well as others with asym edges). The idea there was that you'd have a different radius on your toe-side than on your heel-side. I think Hugh might still have one of those boards if you want to check it out.

Randy,

My board should be here next week. Best part is that after a lot of phone conversations with the shipping company, they finally took the responsibility for the damaged box and ultimately damaged board. So the insurance will pay for all the damage.

I am shopping around for a good set of bindings though.

wish you a speedy recovery

Kreeves,

I have never tried a donek freecarve, but most of the people I ride with have/had it and they are all very positive and united about its great performance. My donek axis is a perfect solution for those days when it's dumping and you can't find the perfect groom anywhere. I took it on the groomers and off the slopes (not in the trees though) and it just cuts and carves anything.

But the Virus,...it's just another dimension. I tried the regular tantalus and hopefully my tantalus team edition (yes Chris,...like yours) will be here shortly. I need to put a lot more hours on the Virus to form an overal and comprehensive judgement, but one thing I can already agree with Chris is that it carves small turns and huge turns like there's no tomorrow.

Got my Virus tantalus this morning. 3 day delivery all the way from germany. This one is the "team edition" tantalus. Now waiting for the bindings to be delivered (should be tomorrow or wednesday), had to choose cateks above bomber as bomber's yellow rings and zero disks couldn't be delivered and I wanted to ride my board as soon as possible. Will post a picture soon.

Hagen,

The last one was damaged during the shipping and I am happy Fedex insurance accepted the charges. The new one is the "team Edition" and it just looks great.

regarding the stepins; part of the reason we all moved to Bomber and Cateks, was the fact that these bindings offer stronger bails and constructions. Any additional weak link in a device will make the rest of the robust machinary useless. The marriage of these tiny pins with a piece of rubber/plastic called intec heel is just too scary for me. I decided to go back to simplicity and I wish everybody else good luck in their choice.

Congratulation again on your race results.

Kamran,

it looks nice, Team series is stiffer than regular for sure.

My first impression of Rocket 162 Team series, can not really be done at this time. After 5 weeks not boarding, and heavy drinking in Czech I am completely out of shape. I try Rocket twice, but always only for a couple runs. This board carves very well, but required to be ridden very hard all the time. It is fast and it really like to be on edge only. I think, it does not tolerate any mistakes and stance and angles seem to be very critical. I still play with it. Well my first impression summary is short: if you are not in top physical shape, do not even consider these boards.

Kreeves,

Thanks,..I was kindda concerned about the choice gold, but when I mounted them on the board, it really put a smile on my face.

Ladia,

Rocket? I thought you had the lightning version???:confused:

Anyways, My short previous ride on "regular" Virus tantalus was very close to what you explained. These boards accelarate fast while coming out of the turn and there is no time for making mistakes. To my surprise, it was a very very friendly carving tool, but like you said, you need to work with them and they demand your undevoted attention while carving.

I plan to be in Kirkwood on sunday and hopefully I get to ride the "team edition" (indeed stiffer) for a full day.

Hagen,

it's just a matter of time,..you'll get infected by this virus too,....resistance is futile!

First ride impression

Board: Virus tantalus team edition

Bindings: catek olympic regular.

Boots: Head stratos

Yesterday I completed a full day on my virus. I skip the ooooohs and ahhhss and just write down what I noticed. The board is remarkably fast. It does both big and small slalom turns easily and its compound radii eliminates the need of having one board with a short scr and one with a big scr. As for accelaration, you do a very big radius carve and finish going up the hill, as you slow down a lot close to a full stop, you point it down the hill, throw yourself towards the center of the next circle and immediately it catapults you so fast that you'll find yourself in the middle of the next high speed big turn in no time. It keeps accelarating and to my great surprise it eats up all the bumps on the slope and stays stable throughout the whole turn. Edge to edge transition is fast too (waist 17.1) and that requires getting used to. You need to be there with your 100% attention and concentration or it makes you pay. It is certainly not a boulevard cruiser with a regular lisence plate. It's full race car tuned for the track. It never chattered a bit and was stable at (relative for me) high speed all the way. The ride was smooth and cateks and Head proved to be a fortunate combination although for the first half of the day I was playing with the cateks after every other run to get it dialed in and find my favorite settings.

I found what I was looking for and I was lucky in my gamble for purchasing a Virus without demoing it first. 900 euros starting price for a Virus may be a lot of money, but it's certainly not expensive for what you get. It was worth every penny I paid for it. As for durability, look up the german ebay and see the camber on 5 or 6 years old viruses and convince yourself. I am selling all my other boards and keep this virus as my main board and my donek axis as my all mountain board. For me, the quest is over. I found my board.