Note to New Members ×

Never thought I could carve on ice until..

icebiker

Well, yesterday was a true revelation for me. I went to Windham, NY for likely my last day of the season. Conditions were LG over a hard icy base. I had my new 225's on (only my second day on them), and some Race Plates I bought from a fellow BOL member (much more solid than the "Performance" plates I had. Haven't picked up an alpine board yet (have the whole summer to research that), so I stuck with my "freeride/AM" Yukon 172.

Now, I've been riding for years (since mid-late 80's), and carving a little less than 15, but that's been in soft boots and 3-straps. To this point, I've always strayed from ice, simply skidded my way down when it's hard conditions. Could never hold a carve. Never thought it was possible.

Well, needless to say, I was wrong. Even with my 225s (softer than most hardboots) and my Yukon (not really a carving board, as I learned on my first day with plates), I found myself railing perfect "C"s just as well as when in PP conditions, if not better. So little effort required, such an unbelievable feeling!! Went the whole day without any thigh burn, managed to get much lower to the snow than I ever could. It's like my riding just went to "11" :biggthump.

I can only imagine what it'll be like when I get a proper carving board. I plan to go to Breck next season...with the wide trails out west, I don't think I'm going to be thinking of much else this summer;).

I've asked alot of questions on here, and you all have been a huge help. I'm sure I'll have more, but wanted to thank you all again for your guidance. Perhaps one day I'll make it to SES, meet a few of you, and get some hands on technique tips. :cool: