Note to New Members ×

The Original Coiler "Plankenschtein" Naked Monster 188

Shred Gruumer

Ok, think of a great excuse to tell my wife when she finds this in the closet and the debit in the bank account, and I'll buy it right now!

"Yes, dear, this is my mistress."

"Of course you can buy those window treatments"

"It was either this or a night in Vegas with Charlie Sheen...do you think I made the right choice??"

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Plankenstein.

I'm not sure why..., I lliked the look of it, always had good luck with Bruce's boards but virtually all the boards I have purchased over the past 5-6 years have been in the 160-170ish range. I just got tired of thinking I had to be doing 100mph on GS boards with my hair on fire (i know big boards can be turned pretty sharp under a skilled rider) I just liked the slower more controlled speeds you can turn FC and SL boards at.

I read the reviews when Shred posted the board and new about this stick but never paid it much thought, 188, 23 cm waist? What? Why would ya? 158's rule the world!!!! I read what Erik J wrote and couldn't belive what he wrote, saying he hadn't that much fun since his 58. Could this be true?

Took the plunge, paid the dough to the Shred man and 3 days later it was in my hands (Shred, sweet packaging, unreal that it showed up in three days!!:biggthump). I didn't have the oppritunty to ride it till today. I had dreamed about how it would ride since I unpacked it. (frankly i was pretty freakin nervous)

Drove out of Calgary, totally overcast, grim weather indeed for the end of March only to arrive at Nakiska to pretty much bluebird skies. I took my 163 vsr as well and locked it to the ski rack thinking i'd be back to swap it out after one run.

Took one run just to see what the board was all about (All my existing boards are 18-20 cm waists). I kept my usual angles (64fr, 60 rr) and I was super surprized at how easily it turned and not surprizing was the incredible edge hold, but i didnt think it would be that good. Took it fairly easy on some of the steeper pitches and made it down in one piece.

Next run i opened it up a bit and was blown away how tight of a turn the thing can make, but the weirdist thing is you dont have to be going that fast. It was so bizzare....

I remember watching the video Jack Michaud posted about 5 years ago of him, eze and Geoff V at Sunapee thinking if i could ride that smooth i could die a happy man. I've been able to put a hand down and pat the dog for some time but watching Jack and the boys putting their forearm down on the snow in such control looked so wicked. I did that pretty much at will today. (Geoff I still like your old avatar better btw:D)

Pitches i couldn't ride last year, and just masterd this year, i was adding an extra 2-3 turns on. It just doesn't make sense how tight this thing will turn. Obstacles i would have made bigger turns to avoid and go around I was charging at with no problem coming around tighter than i ever thought possible (on any board for that matter).

The board is super smooth, unreal craftmanship and soooo much fun to ride. Never unlocked the 163, glad I remembered to grab it as we were leaving

If you are thinking of a new board, I highly reccomend one of these bad boys.

Thanks Bruce, Thanks Shred, just when I thought I had reached a level i felt good at, you guys brought it up 2 notches. This board rules.:biggthump:D:1luvu:

Sorry for the novel, probably should be in the board review section but those that thought about getting this, should get one. Period.

K