Note to New Members ×

newbie needs help

tim oliver

How do you set up Burton step in race plates to tell your angles? I have a Oxygen 58 Apex, am 165 lbs. old guy returning to carving but a beginner carver and after one day on the board am wondering...is it too short, stiff, etc? Not sure about how many days I'll be out there and not ready to take the plunge into new gear but pretty stoked to get back into the game. Suggestions?

Don't know about the bindings? I would just set them up so you are comfortable and don't boot out. The board ought to work fine for you. I weight 160 and have an APX 165. It is a pretty easy board to ride and is forgiving. I found that I could easily ride it like a softboot board with skidded slash turns that shoot up rooster tails. Go with as wide a stance that is comfortable. Just ride the board in a normal manner until it feels comfortable and then try to get it over on edge. Most of all, have fun!

5'9" 150lbs here -

I can carve on my 156cm softboot ride pretty easy on greens and blues. Can't carve on double blacks, and I can make it down some decent-snow blacks linking tight carves.

I would say the board is probably not too stiff or too short for starting out carving. If you are hesitant about buying new gear yet (as I was at your stage) just get to the point with your current board where you feel that it is starting to hinder you. Hopefully you will have some "revelations" and know when you need something - i.e., more length or softer board, etc. I am younger so I push pretty hard when carving, which helps me to get away with boards that are a little stiff for me. More relaxed carving would be nicer/easier with a softer board.

Set the center disk on the board so that the slots for mounting screws are lengthwise, then the "Edge" icons are towards the board edges.

In the midle of the binding there are 2 small arrows, they will line up with the scale on the center disk. The other arrow is for regular, the other for goofy. So when you read the center disk you could see e.g. 60 and 30 lining with the arrows. Should be obvious which one is your binding angle:)

If you want to know what your angles are, loosen your bindings enough so that you can turn them while still attached. First, set them to "0". Each notch they turn equals 3 degrees. Some of my center disks have the 3 degree increments embossed on the disk and some do not.

You should be able to see a little arrow on the binding housing. Use that as a reference but if there are no markings on the center disk you kind of have to "eyeball" where zero would be by squaring the binding to the board. Just count the "clicks" as the binding rotates.

The "board/edge" words on the disk don't mean much. l have had my disks with those words pointing both towards the edges AND towards the nose/tail. lt just depends on whether you want to shift the binding towards either edge or towards the nose/tail.

Flywalker, of course you can do it both ways.

For a newbie I'd still recommend conventional installation; using the center disc slots to finetune the stance length and just centering the boots on the binding by adjusting toe and heel blocks. Propably better not to have bias in the beginning.

Hey Tim,

That was me and Big Mario who spoke with you in the AM. I was the one who was telling you about setting up your stance angles. If you want to, PM me through my profile and I can help you out more.

Like Geoff said, there is a good group of us who ride loveland regularly on the weekends and are more than happy to get you going with setup and riding tips. Just hanging out with better riders to talk to and watch will step up your game and shorten the time it takes to get to carving in plates. Look for the Yo LCI thread on the ride board.

As for the question of too short or stiff, the length is fine for you now. I didn't flex your board and don't know it well so I cannot tell you if it is too stiff or not. I can check that in two weeks, next time we will be up, after SES.The people of Lovey will be smilin' next week when they have no trenches to jump. :) If the oxygen is too stiff I have others you could test out.

Good luck and welcome to BOL.

Ink

Flywalker, of course you can do it both ways.

For a newbie I'd still recommend conventional installation; using the center disc slots to finetune the stance length and just centering the boots on the binding by adjusting toe and heel blocks. Propably better not to have bias in the beginning.

Hi Juha...

Didn't see your post before mine... sorry. l didn't give any advice whether or not to move the binding horizontally or vertically around the board, just to not be too bothered about what the board/edge words were all about. Perhaps l should have said that it was better to leave the binding centered, although l had simply assumed he would be doing that anyway.

My main comment was more about the angles Tim wanted to find. lt seemed like his disks didn't have any markings on them to read so counting the "clicks" would give him his angle numbers. l have two sets of disks like that as well.