Note to New Members ×

Base Repair Possibilities

scrapster

Had a section of my base "collapse" the other day while riding. I didn't hit anything. Looks like there was just no core material underneath supporting the base in that spot. It stinks that it's right along the edge, but at least all the base material is still there and in good shape.

How would you all go about fixing this? Could it be filled in underneath--leaving just a "crack" in the base material that could be sealed up with some p-tex?

post-6931-141842332717_thumb.jpg

Hmmn....I was tempted to say cut the base, and repair the material under the Ptex - replace material that was supposed to be under there. But I'm now wondering where the next point of failure would be...how much do you like the board, is it a decent enough board to go through this amount of effort.

Looks like you need a copolymer material if the repair is in the location of the steel edges (to get it to bond to the edge), which looks to be the case.

http://tognar.com/base_repairs_tips_ski_snowboard.html

Would rather not comment on the brand as I try to resolve the issue. (It is not a common one, though.)

I did have something similar happen to an old, Avalanche hardboot board a LONG, LONG time ago.

And good guess, but wrong answer on the base grinds. The board is pretty new and hasn't been tuned.

Would rather not comment on the brand as I try to resolve the issue. (It is not a common one, though.)

I did have something similar happen to an old, Avalanche hardboot board a LONG, LONG time ago.

And good guess, but wrong answer on the base grinds. The board is pretty new and hasn't been tuned.

I don't buy it. betting you hit something or there was some sort of compression on it at some point. foot rests can **** up boards even.

Couldn't be chairlift footrests, its near the tail right at the end of the eff edge. Conditions when I had it out were pretty good too--solid, hard packed-pow to chalk.

But, the biggest evidence that something is awry, I can push on the remaining "flap" of base material and it's springy--from the metal edge to about 1/3 of an inch in. In that section at least, there's an empty cavity underneath the base.

So, unless there's a rock out there that could have made a small, narrow incision in my base and then excavated all the material underneath while leaving the base nearly intact...

Anyway, I was looking for repair advice and suggestions. Thanks to those who provided them.

You could try to inject some epoxy into the cavity. However, you do not know how big it was and if the epoxy would go all the way where needed...

Other option is to slowly grind off the affected base with Dremell tool and expose the cavity. Then either fill everything with epoxy, or just seal with epoxy (including the inner part of the edge), then abrade the epoxy and fill in with p-tex. With p-tex, heat up the "wound" first a bit, then ligth up the stick and smear-twist into the cavity (like welding with a rod), rather then dripping. Build up quite high, then cut off the excess with a cheasel and sand down.

If it's an expensive board, maybe let a pro fix it?

You are absolutelly right. But it's the only way to fix "within". Open method would probably be my preffered way. Downside of the "open" method is that if the current configuration is:

-Top sheet

-Laminate

-Missing core (cavity)

-Laminate

-Base

The bottom laminate would be gone together with the base material, to expose the cavity. That would leave a weaker spot after the filling...

Mark, if you go for the injection method, first drill few small holes along the suspected cavity. They will serve as multiple injection poins and as the "breather" holes for the air to get out as you are injecting into the others.

If you could rig some sort of vacuum system, then you'd drill only 2 holes - one to inject, the other to suck, on the opposite ends. All the rest has to be sealed.

Couldn't be chairlift footrests, its near the tail right at the end of the eff edge. Conditions when I had it out were pretty good too--solid, hard packed-pow to chalk.

But, the biggest evidence that something is awry, I can push on the remaining "flap" of base material and it's springy--from the metal edge to about 1/3 of an inch in. In that section at least, there's an empty cavity underneath the base.

So, unless there's a rock out there that could have made a small, narrow incision in my base and then excavated all the material underneath while leaving the base nearly intact...

Anyway, I was looking for repair advice and suggestions. Thanks to those who provided them.

if the core is collapsing or has gaps either the board was screwed when it was built or water got or something but AFAIK water causes swelling....

I've seen bubbled bases from irons being too hot and the base pulling away from the edge for unknown reasons. weird. I don't think either of those are the issue.

how old is the board?

as bob, I do not buy this, but this board is 5hit no matter what you pay for it/or are willing to pay for repairing or merely erasing the cosmetic...

yes and you miss two important issues:

1 is this cap construction? what board/brand

2 if sandwich construction what board/brand

base does not simply collapse upward as it were? and furthermore, you obviously have attachment to this board or the money you spent to acquire this board as you are willing to throw more money to erase the problem.

it is just a poor build of snowboard, or poor specimen in a particular batch without quality or control. there is so much concern for libel but we are telling because you are asking in the first place. why bother a tech with this?

Ok, that may be too strong and I will apologize, but to be sure you ask for input.

ok, I will go away now. have a great day on your local hill! :-)

Not a Prior. My WCRM is doing nicely ;)

I'm guessing the core isn't missing. It seems more like a gap in the laminate right below the "zipper" component of the metal edge. More details to follow...

I asked because the topsheet on a older glass wcr there was sort of wrinkle on the topsheet. I wondered what it was but it did not effect ride.

it dose not matter what brand it is

or where you got it

it does matter if the manufacturer is still in bussiness

I know you are attached to it but form what you said it just gave out

I would be conserened about more base caving in:(

if you got a defective board the manufacturer should replace:argue:

I know you are attached but it may be a safty issue

if you are that attached contact manufacturer for a replacement

you can inform them of the sentamental attachment and you would like your wall art back with the replacement board

most reputiable manufacturers will stand by there product espesually with the soft spot under the p-tex

a friend of mine runs a rim shop when a customer has a structuraly unsafe rim and dosent want it fixed he cuts a slash in the beed to make the rim unmountable to protect himself against a lawsuit .(he can still fix rim if customer changes mind and wants it fixed later)

you can ask the manufacturer to make the board unrideable so it is just wall art :AR15firin

that can just be stinging the insets with a welder to make it so you can't mount bindings to it

hope it all workes out for you