Note to New Members ×

Ottawa Carve-fest!

Ian M

Which day of the week for carve-fest?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which day of the week for carve-fest?

• Monday
    • Tuesday
    • Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • Friday
    • Saturday
    • Sunday
    • I'm infinitely flexible, and JUST WANNA RIDE :)

On Sunday, Chris, Billy, myself and honorable mention, Amber (teleskier) made our way to MB and the Sharks demo tent. Michel and his small team of elves had a full range of F2 and Prior boards to demo. Personally, I tried three different boards; one F2 and two Priors. Maybe its 'cause I never liked F2 aethestics, but I did not enjoy riding the board either. OTOH, I really enjoyed both Priors I rode - even as the snow conditioned continued to deteriorate over the day.

However, I was inspired after watching a couple of the Shark guys come down a difficult pitch late in the day laying down clean arcs ('trenches' would be far too great an exageration given the continuous boilerplate lurking under the half inch of "hard groomed granular!") on some very hard "snow."

The silver lining in the cloud is that local icy conditions will be an interesting challenge after the inspiring riding I saw at Mt Blanc.

I sent a Thank You email to Michel yesterday on behalf of the the Ottawa crowd for bringing out his gear and for being so patient with all the Qs he fielded during the day.

Hope to see a bunch of you at MSM on Friday.

-Brian

Definitely still good to go, sounds like like we can all aim to meet at the lifts at 9am.

It's not a big mountain, so if anyone is late we shouldn't have a problem meeting up. (The first hour or two will probably be warming up on the nearer of the two sides.)

*stoked!*

Thanks for coming out to play on Friday everyone! It was great to ride with all of you :biggthump

Cheers!

I second that motion! I only felt bad that the snow conditions were less than great; my crystal ball was not working so well a month ago when I suggested MSM :freak3:

I would be up for doing another get-together carvefest at a more "carve-friendly" location like Tremblant in a week or three.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this topic? :argue:

-Brian

Great day riding!! Had a great time meeting/riding with everyone!

Agreed, the snow was less than ideal, but I enjoyed the hill enough that I'm going back this Friday..

I'm in for another carvefest....be it at Tremblant or MSM! The more notice the better for me....Spring breaks are starting too, not sure when Quebecs is but Ontario is the week of the 14th.

//Paul

The week of March 14-18 would be ideal for me as my wife can pick up the kids after work. Therefore I am suggesting Friday the 18th. Hopefully then we can all sit around and have an apres carve beverage of your choice. Alternatively would anyone be game for an overnight and make a 2 day trip out of it? Tremblant would be my preferred venue.

I'm thinking of taking most of the week though, you heading out any other days?

Phil,

Well, not this week, but here are the highlights planned for the rest of my season:

Jay Peak 18-20 Mar

MSA/LM 24-28 Mar

Mt Tremblant 1-3 Apr

If anybody is interested in joining us for any of those dates, I can tell you where to stay at great rates and how to come by discount lift tix.

Cheers,

Brian

... maybe I can be lured back to Tremblant:)

FYI, Tremblant was good yesterday (but not great). Conditions were spotty. Given the fresh snowfall, I expected the corduroy to be deeper, but MT is known for its high winds and the top of a lot of runs were bare. OTOH, some runs were in good shape even late in the day. It was literally "hit or miss."

A bonus from riding MT yesterday is that I finally had a chance to run down Algonquin, a looong greeen run on Versant Soleil that was just opened last season. If you get past the "green" designation, it is a monstrously wide run with a nice consistent pitch until almost the very end of the run. I can't wait to go back and catch this run first thing in the morning on my longest GS board to do fast, flat out loopy turns all the way down. As Phil says, you can get a race board up to some serious speed in a short time - even on a "green" run. Note to other MT enthusiasts: keep your speed on all the way to the bottom of this exceptionally long run because it takes a big right-hand turn near the bottom to go back to the chair. At this point, which you will quickly recognize by the large wood rails set up on the outside of the run, the train both narrows and flattens out for ~200 metres. You have been warned! Otherwise, an exceptional recreational carving run.

-Brian