Note to New Members ×

Tips on staying warm in sub 0 F weather?

newcarver

I don't have real heavy gear for riding in super cold. Any tips? I was thinking 2 pairs of thermals, fleece jacket, with shell over that and lined pants. I have super warm mits. How can I keep my face from freezing up? Expectin high of 10 with wind chill around -20. Too much powder to not go riding and my son has practice for mogles comp on Sun. Just don't want to get frost bite or anything.

I usually wear a Turtle Fur neck gaitor and tuck it up under the edges of my helmet to keep my face from freezing off - though it can cause some fogging/icing problems with my goggles, so I make sure I've used a de-fogger on the goggles too. I see a lot of people using those neoprene face masks, and they might be better at directing warm breath away from goggles, but I've never tried one.

For my bottom side, I'll wear my butt pads just for warmth, even if snow conditions are soft & deep - that extra padding really makes a difference on a cold chair lift ride!

I also carry a couple of those little chemical handwarmers - if I'm getting really cold, one on my belly and one in each armpit is awesome (especially useful for skinny/cold people like me if you get stuck on a chair for a long time.....)

And have someone look at your nose and cheeks once in awhile - it can be easy to frostbite and not notice it....

Stay dry and keep skin covered. I sweat in my columbia jacket when its around 10 degrees, so a thermal is all i would need.

You can find thermal base layers like an under armour shirt on sale at discount stores. buy a cheapo face mask, wind burn will hurt on your first run. Be cautious by going into the lodge much more often. If you lose feeling in your face, it's time to take a break.

Cheap neck warmer or a scarf at the least. Stay covered, stay dry, be cautious. skin should not be exposed.

layer up when you have to watch the comp, standing still sucks. maybe take a few runs to warm up in between his runs. Extra layers...

standing still sucks.
Yes, it does. Standing in the tent on wicked cold days I wear layers under my down puffy, and sometimes I put one of those larger chemical warmers on my belly or back(the ones for the aches and pains you see commercials for, or just the larger "body" ones that you can get at the ski shop). Your feet will freeze too just standing there, so make sure you put some toe warmers in your boots.

breathable layers are your friend. we just got finished with a cold snap with high temps in the negative numbers. I never once put on my down coat while riding or biking. just layer with wicking materials, so you stay dry. toe warmers are also good in the boots to keep the toes warm.

i wore a heavy weight base layer, 300 weight polartec fleece jacket and a shell on top and I actually was sweating in sub zero temps, but stayed nice and warm and dry.

although you're talking about windchill, so that could be different. just my 2 cents worth. hope it helps.

If it's windy, the shell is critical. Do you have a hood? That makes a big difference. On windy days I'll ditch my helmet so I can wear the hood.

Good goggles and making sure there's no forehead gap is also important. Hate that ice-cream headache.

As far as warmth, I'm usually good to go with a mid-weight base layer and fleece under the shell, so long as I'm active. Cold up the lift, hot by the time you get back down....

Body lotion on the feet, keeps the socks from bunching and creates better circulation.

Chemical hand warmers under the shell over the liner, on top of the toes, boot gloves over the shell.

2,3,4 layers of long underwear, wool or poly.

3DO kneepads,warm knees warm heart-warm heart warm hands:cool:

Padded shorts.

Over dressed bottom, not so much required on top, camelback under the softshell, body armor under the camelback.

Turtle fur neck gator, helmet under hood.

F2 Stepins for rear binding:lol:

Sidewinders on the front...

More often than not, I think many overdress.

You get hot, you sweat. You sweat you get wet, you get wet, you are DONE !

Neat little trick I learned long ago, Anti-Perspirant Deodorant on your FEET!

ARRID EXTRA DRY Cream works best for me, keeps my feet from sweating, and when you massage it in with your hands guess what, helps keep your hands from sweating also!

Polypro Turtleneck and a Fleece Neck Gator work well for neck & face protection.

I always find I am warmer when riding with others, just the company and conversation on the lift keeps your mind off of being cold.

Once you get off the lift and start riding, I've never had an issue being cold.

The bigger the SMILE & the more FUN you are having, the less chance of being cold :biggthump.

Got the full beard in effect. Once it ices up seems to provide good insulation. Might have to skip the helmet so I can use my hood or I might see if I can wear it under the helmet. Got silk undies. Will be trying some new hardboots with a very snug fit and ultra thin socks. That might be my downfall. The antipersperant might do the trick. Thanks for all the advice :biggthump Will see how it goes. Worried about my son the most. I guess he could quit practice early if it gets to bad for him. I'll just go to the little cabin with the wood stove and fully stocked bar to get out of the cold. It's right down from the run with the mogles course. He knows where to find me :p

Hands, feet, and face are the hardest to keep warm. As jp1 said, most overdress their core. I find that if I'm warm on the first lift ride in the morning, I'm going to be overheating by the third run.

I use a slightly heavier fleece under a shell, plus two pairs of liner pants. Then a neck tube that covers my chin and neck. Then a simple bandana to cover my nose/face and pinched by the lower edge of the goggles along their full width. It's hyper important that your breath goes down and out freely so your goggles don't fog up. As the bandana starts to freeze I constantly reshape it so that there's a nice open space for breath to flow freely. Then change to a fresh bandana whenever you go in and it thaws, failing that roll up your wet one in paper towels and squeeze it to get as much water out as possible.

Feet are tough, I've had ok luck with the stick-on chemical packs and Boot Gloves.

Use the hardest wax you have along your edges. Cold snow is highly abrasive.

I love riding in these conditions as most people stay home. ;)

One of the key things I learned about keeping warm in sub zero weather from my ice climbing days was the importance of keeping properly hydrated.

Cold weather dries out your system through respiration and sweat, and then your body has to work harder to keep your core temperature in the zone. I find that by keeping a small thermos and water bottle in my pack or the inside pocket of my jacket, I can take small sips while on the chairlift and stay warmer, especially in my toes and hands.

I tend to keep hot chocolate in the thermos, and just water in the water bottle.

I find that hydration systems tend to freeze up in temps below 15 degrees F, even with chemical warmer assistance on the bite valves. Keeping the water bottle in the pack gives it enough insulation to keep it from freezing.

It also allows me to stay out longer, and get more runs in....

I did have a Bailey's with hot cocoa when I had to take a break. Temps were zero at the lowest lift and it was overcast. I didn't get too uncomfortable. Just the ends of my big toes started to hurt after a few runs. Did some mogle runs on my SG Cult and that warmed me up a good bit. Overall not a bad day. Did have to buy my son some new glove liners as he was miserable after about 1 hour. After that and some hot cocoa he was good for the rest of the day.

I often fish Lake Superior open water in all the winter months. Launch the boat from the beach and go fishing. It seems the best days for fishing are when no sane person would go ouside let alone go fishing. Granted Im only a mile or two from shore but Im just sittting and fishing on open water. Goretex, goretex, goretex. I try to by my gear to cover all my winter activities so I might look funny carving or fishing in my gear but the stuff is great! If your gear has a goretex backing its very hard to beat. Plus the chicks like the fish scales stuck to my Lapel! Ok, so its a little $$ but its way better then the knock off stuff but if you buy gore, they back it! Typically if you buy winter gear with goretex its top of the line , not necassarily brand or fashion fancy, but hardcore good stuff backed by good product warranty. Keep the core warm and the extremeties benefit!

I cant wear anything over my mouth as I hate it, even when it hit -30 C with wind chill a week ago, so I cant help you with that.

For me as long as I keep my body warm but breathing, Im ok.

The answer has and always will be: merino wool. I have everything in it, thermals, sweaters, underwear, socks. Either from Smartwool or Icebreaker.

Hey Gilmore, that Exchanger mask looks like a pretty good product. Where does the air get taken in and exhausted? Since the marketing info says that the intake air goes from <10% RH to about 75% RH I would guess there is mixing of fresh air and exhaled breath.