Note to New Members ×

Wheres your head at

Bobby Buggs

Well my first day out today. Far from perfect conditions with some ice and some various sized nuggets scattered about. I noticed one thing thats been plaguing me for years. I DONT turn my head and look left when I do my heel side turns. When this happens I get in the back seat and end up sliding on my hip till I reconnect the board:angryfire. When I do make an effort to focus across the trail everything lines up right. So I have a nice ice/nugget raspberry bruise on my left hip as a reminder to stop looking at my board or down the hill or even at the sky:freak3: when Im doing Heel sides.

I still hear that coach from 8th grade say your body goes where your head does. You figure by now I would get it.

You figure by now I would get it.

Some of us (such as myself) need hard knocks to remember a lesson. A few innocent crashes can be a good lesson in what not to do, which I think can be more important than what I should be doing in some cases.

I am a total nerd and keep a small pad and pencil in my pocket. On my ride up the lift, I write down what I think I should keep doing or not keep doing. I don't do this all the time, just when something strikes me as important. At the beginning of each season, I pull out the pad, review what I've written and keep that in my head when I ride. Usually after 3 days I'm back to where I left off from the season before and can start looking to improve.

Yeah sometimes Im a Fool. I get out for the first time yesterday and think I can just mindlessly drop turns Full speed like I did in the middle of last season, Not taking into account the conditions or other factors like maybe Im not that good to begin with.

And the Dipsh!t award goes to................:smashfrea

^ I respectfully disagree with philw.

In my experience, Bobby, using your eyes is an excellent way to initiate and maintain a great carve. When you use your eyes to choose a target that is across the hill, your shoulders and then your hips both naturally follow. The result is a carve with moderate rotation into the turn, which really helps commit your core to the carve. This technique is what helped me learn to finish my carves better and thus control my speed.

On my toe-side, I also use it to look up the hill every 2-3 turns to watch for fast-moving unskilled hoodlums as philw said.

Cheers!

I know Im weird but no one else has this problem with looking into your heel side??:

I don't have this problem (on heel side), but not because of any great wisdom or technique. I got into the habit of looking over my left shoulder into the turn on heel-side because I'm paranoid of getting hit from behind.

The problem I have is on my toe side. Each time I glance over my shoulder on toe side, I blow the turn. If I don't look, I make nice half circles. But each time I glance up hill, I leave "flat spots" in my carves. Annoying.

I haven't been badly hit yet (knock on wood!), but I'm still paranoid about it. I've had enough close calls.

One thing I noticed today is that instead of turning my head to see uphill half way through the carve, it works much better to keep my head and body in position at the beginning of the turn and throughout.

Not only did this give me a better view of where I was going and allowed me to see what's bombing down the hill on toe side, I had a much smoother, consistent ride. No more flat spots in my carves.

One thing I noticed today is that instead of turning my head to see uphill half way through the carve, it works much better to keep my head and body in position at the beginning of the turn and throughout.

Not only did this give me a better view of where I was going and allowed me to see what's bombing down the hill on toe side, I had a much smoother, consistent ride. No more flat spots in my carves.

Good stuff! Glad you figured this out, lafcadio.

Cheers :D