Note to New Members ×

1st x on metal. Time to sell old boards.

davekempmeister

I know I'm late to the party, by the standards of many on BOL, but I've just ridden metal for the first time over the past few days and am smitten. I'll spare everyone the superlatives, metaphors and tech babble and just say that snowboarding now has an entirely other dimension for me now. It is amazing. This without having used a VIST I have sitting around - something else to look forward to as well, I guess. Thanks to all here on BOL that wrote so eloquently about metal boards over the past few years that I was coaxed into buying one.

Also, CO is the greatest state in the union. Just back from one of dozens of trips to CO over the years and my belief in CO and it's beautiful people was reaffirmed when someone turned in my wallet to a lifty at Loveland the other day. The only time in my life that I lost my wallet (somewhere near the top of chair 6) and I had the good fortune that it should pass through the hands of two honest people on it's way back to me. Thanks to "some lady in a red coat" & Patrick (of Loveland) for that.

Hi Jack. The dampening, the way that it rides longer than it is, the way the shovel head shape starts the cut. The speed. Unbelievable. I got the VIST because it was a good deal and am not sure that I want that much more between my feet and snow. I might sell the VIST if I get a good offer. Fitting that you should respond - gives me a chance to thank you again. I met Bola in person at his shop for the first time after dozens of phone conversations/transactions. Super nice guy, but I already knew that. The shop is a Mecca. All the best.

I too had a chance to ride metal and new shaped (decambered, hammerhead nose) on Friday at Whitetail. Although it was my 1st run for this season, I could lay down about 80% what I left. New shaped throw me into J-turn if I pushed it hard. It is faster and board just lead me to go fast and fast. I had to embrace myself to slow it down time to time and tried hard to maneuver it when it try to go straight.

After riding it for 2 hours, I switched to a freecarve deck and I could rip it from the start. It was easy and predictable turns gave me confidence to go fast also. While I was riding the freecarve deck, I was thinking Snowman's avatar, "I Love Camber' :1luvu:

I will try some more times to get used to new metal & new shaped. Since it was very well groomed condition, I may not see the big advantages of new deck that much. Any tip?

Put me in the "I love Metal" camp.

For me the biggest difference is the bumps and crud that the board soaks up. Also having a progressive sidecut and decambered nose makes my turns more predictable and easy to vary. Not sure which of these features is most responsible but it sure is fun and exciting to have this new technology :biggthump

I'm excited to try Donek's recent fiberglass boards with the new geometry. That will be interesting to see which aspects are due to metal and which are due to the new shapes.

I love my metal Coilers, they are much more versatile than the other older boards I've owned.