Note to New Members ×

Softboot carving in Step Ins?

newcarver

Was thinking of getting some NOS stepin boots and bindings. Wanted to try mounting them on my Razor 164. Will these things hold up to the stresses of carving? I weigh 160lbs. I was looking at some Rossignol SiS boots and bindings since I can get the whole set up for under $60. Are these bindings limited in any way, such as angle settings/forward lean, etc.? These are the type that have a high back on the binding. Was thinking that this might be a more comfortable setup than my standard strap bindings. Strap pressure = foot pain after a few hours of hard riding.

Those were not a great step in system. Lot's of rock around that center bar for and aft, cold metal under foot, ice up and a tripping hazard while walking.

The higher end Clickers worked reasonably well- with Flows and other folding high back designs, or even just todays better straps and boots I think you can get the same convenience and better performance (albeit not for $60, but you get what you pay for there).

I know at least one person that likes SIS a lot. I didn't find them supportive enough, but only tried lower end model.

Clickers rock side-to side too much and ice up badly...

From the true step-ins, I like the Switch the best. It's 4 point lock of the sole, so it feels very solid (stable foot position). However, the ones without highback were too flexy in all directions. The one with highback on the binding is pretty solid fore-aft and somewaht floppy sideways. I always wanted to add a power strap on the front binding, but never got around it.

Flows are not true step-ins, but work pretty good.

Eventually, I ended up riding the Nidecker Carbons and had more performance out of them then any other softy binding. Then things changed in the snow school and I'm only on h/boots now. I hope for good...

I use Highback Switch bindings for all my softboot boards. The beauty of them as BlueB says is that they have a very stable foot platform due to the 4 point lock in. The real beauty of them is that they can be found for 29-59$ on line. The downfall of them is finding boots that are not worn out.

The downfall of them is finding boots that are not worn out.

That's precisely why, after 10+ years, I retired my Clicker SSTs. I got some Carbon 900s and Burton Drivers and I am very happy. I miss stepping in but once you make the snow wedge, so your arse stays off of the ground, and get used to them you can strap in fast.

Try searching the forum because there is a post about this that will point you to some softboot carving setups.

I have burtonSI because The wife likes them for teaching and we can can get'em cheap off fleabay so we've got 5 pair of binders and a couple pairs of bootsfor under $200 invested. The higher end carbon SI are much stiffer and better for carving with a decent forward lean range and lockdown on the highback.

That said, I never use them 'cause I get lots of flex out of my old 124s with nitro stepins and think laces are a hassle.

Clickers have too much roll side to side and the SIS hinge in the middle for & aft. Switch & burton have similar 4 point mounting geometry but the switch has far better retention and are definitely the best soft stepin system.

There's some good reading in this thread http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22038&highlight=stepin

but you'll have to wade thru it to get the softy info.

FYI: I personally always loved :) the Burton SI. They are 'boot specific though', but the Burton boots (Drivers & Rulers) always fit me well and were firm to my liking :) ..

I got some 'really good deals' on Boots and Bindings (with Carbon Fiber highbacks) off of ebay just before I started hardbooting (still new in closet).

You can lock the highback, then use a Booster Strap around the top of the highback & boot for that instantaneous transmission of power feel :biggthump... JMO / jp1