Note to New Members ×

World Champs, plates and interesting insights

Willow 15

“This is a special win for me,” stated the 2010 Olympic runner-up. “Prior to the race, a brutal equipment battle took place. Now, everyone is riding with the same material as I do. The whole field closed ranks. But with this victory in store, I know that I’m still there.”
This is a Quote from Benjamin Karl from Fis lg site http://www.fissnowboard.com/uk/news/podium-sweeps-for-russia-ladies-and-austria-men,146.html

I read that quote and thought plate systems. Then I saw this video which confirmed my suspicions, http://www.fissnowboard.com/uk/videos/race-video.html

After listening to lots of people on this site talking up, and talking down plate systems (many who have never used one:confused:) I would love to hear a racers perspective. Obviously Karl is worried as most other racers are using systems as good as his. What I find amazing is that Karl has been using his home made meccano for a while now but its still there with the Apex'$.

Even if you don't like racing, the final between Karl and Prommegger is a fine tutorial of how to demolish gates. I know Prommegger misses his last gate but what an amazing ride.

If these links don't work go to the fis site and follow from there.

Karl is by far the Strongest rider on the world cup the guy is over 200lbs and he is probably the only one who can ride is type of plate. I trained really hard this summer gaining 30lbs and squatting over 350lbs to be strong enough to ride this plate and I failed at it. So what I can tell is Benji is just a MACHINE and he is the only one who can ride this plate well!

Now I'm using APEX and I recommend this plate to every riders who is not 200lbs+ and squatting more then 400pounds ;)

Karl is by far the Strongest rider on the world cup the guy is over 200lbs and he is probably the only one who can ride is type of plate.
Thanks Seb, I have never been to a WC snowboard race so your insight on BK's plate system is great. You have actually reminded me of a time I was working in Austria way, way back in 87ish and there was a WC GS race (ski) and I was dumbfounded at the size of thse guys.

Have a good season and charge hard.

In my opinion, your size weight or how much you can squat means nothing. Last year I rode the plate I made, which was pretty much the same as Benjamin Karl's and did just fine. It weighed 6.8 lbs and I am most likely the smallest rider fallowing the races. I only weigh 140 lbs on a good day. So your size or weight means nothing to what you ride or how you ride it. Just my two cents on this subject....:biggthump

I wish I could list all the things I have done to my Kryptons, but I dont even know where to begin.... Lots of cutting, grinding and different tongues and liners.....

hehe, we got the time. do you? we'd love to hear. even some pictures would suffice.

are the mods pretty much the standard mods we (and even the occasional skier) used to do to flexons?

In my opinion, your size weight or how much you can squat means nothing. Last year I rode the plate I made, which was pretty much the same as Benjamin Karl's and did just fine. It weighed 6.8 lbs and I am most likely the smallest rider fallowing the races. I only weigh 140 lbs on a good day. So your size or weight means nothing to what you ride or how you ride it. Just my two cents on this subject....:biggthump

Then why is he the only one riding it?

I failed! Fish change, Sigi Failed, Jasey ''man I tried is plate I was not evan able to make a turn'' and i'm sure other people have tried and didnt stick on it...

Why is he the only one able to ride is plate then! if it's not because he is really strong and really BIG?

So are you trying to say the Bomber plate, the Donek plate, the Apex, the Slovenian plate, the Apex snowboards plate, and the Sigi plate are all completely different from Karl's plate? Cause when Fin talked to Karl at Telluride about it all he said he was getting nervous that everyone was riding the SAME plate as him. Now if you ask me the Boiler plate is pretty damn close to his plate as was my old "General Lee" plate. Which I have seen multiple people ride real well. Now it might not work for everybody right off the bat and you will most likely have to adapt to it and give it time. I know I did. Also some riding styles might not work with it at all. I highly doubt it ONLY works for Karl. I think my plate was more or less the same thing and it is what the Boiler plate was built off of and I am not having a problem or are my other teammates that are on it.

Yes they are! they can all flex or the Bindings can if you put complete F2 race on top of a stiff plate! But with the Karl plate NOTHING flex! No torsion...

Yes they are working almost the same but there's nothing as heavy and stiff then the Karl plate and what I'm telling you is true alot of riders tried is plate and got problems. Don't forget that all the plate you named the Karl is the only one completely in metal too

Ok, My General Lee plate was made 100% out of metal and does not flex at all in any direction. I rode it with my bindings direct mounted until it broke at the rear heel forcing me to go back. It rode great like that. Also Benjamin Karl's bindings flex, they are like old Burton bails.

Also Vic Wild made one and rode it last year as well and rode very well on it also.

I'm not saying it's **** (if your not heavy)it can be super fast and good! I did 4th time at copper with this system but as for myself in certain conditions I got problems with the plate not forgiving enough in my opinion cause I'm not the weight and power of Benjamin and my coachs believe the samething! And I think that's why there is right now only one person riding the Full metal plate. Cause evan if he won tons of world cups nobody is switching to THIS system. Why did everybody copied the Apex (carbon) and not the Benji (full metal) when Benji was killing it on is system for years!

That's it that's all :biggthump