Note to New Members ×

Blue opens Friday

Chubz

Its about time. Now we get to find out if the new snow guns make a difference on Main Street! (or if the had some groom training)

It will be nice to be back on the snow, though I'll have to drag myself out of the water. What a season!!!! This is was from a trip in June (yellow boat, red helmut)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBs8QLjTYDM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBs8QLjTYDM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Pillow Rock on the Upper Gauley (Yes that is me almost making a mess in my boat)

post-799-141842327563_thumb.jpeg

Day 1 was compressed microdeath mini cookies. It looked pretty and was ok for general cruising but once you put any teeth into a turn, it gave out from underneath your edge. Good thing this east coast rain arrived to blend it together to be refrozen into boilerplate this week.

Sharpen em up folks

I was there yesterday morning, not bad conditions. Bottom of most trails were icy but nothing too bad, softened up around noon. Crowds were manageable even with only a few trails open.

I'll probably be going monday/wednesday/friday late morning to mid afternoon starting late January if anyone else is trying to ride then. Hopefully a few others from the Lehigh U alpine snowboard group will be joining as well.

John

From what I heard..........its nuts to butts time, at least on Challenge:biggthump

Though late start, best early conditions I have seen in a while. But then again that could change any given day.

Razor not open as of today, windy.

Hope to see you out.

I was at Blue Mt every morning the last several days, and have to ask whether that's typical grooming? A few runs were actually groomed, but many were just a frozen mess from the night before. Midway was bad, I thought, but that still didn't prepare me for Main St; like riding a road bike over 100 railroad crossings one right after the other. Maybe it's the snow-sports version of a rumble strip, to wake people up who might be sleeping as they're flying in to the "slow" area? Some runs were covered with golf-ball size iceballs, with a few softball-size ones thrown in every few feet. How does the grooming there work? Two lucky runs every morning? At least I'm not going to feel so deprived when I ride at night now!

Anyone riding Monday morning? I hope the crowds are gone so I can get back to trying to carve.

Not too crowded, much better conditions today. Razor was probably really good late afternoon after the tennis-ball size ice balls sintered into a nice hardpackish surface. Lazy Mile was much improved. Main Street OK. Should be just a nice tomorrow, I think. Hope to get some turns in.

IDK

They are hit and miss. I notice those speed bumps on bottom headwall of razor several days ago and couldnt figure out how they made them that way. the other things I have been seeing this season that hasnt been too bad in a few years if the ridges that run parallel to the slope. I have been doing a ton of so-called wheelies this season from those ridges. As far as the mini and mega death cookies, I have accepted those wont go away, so I purposefully, do not for any reason put my hands down a ridge throws me.

My main issue this year and it happened to me again today is them not taking the snow completely to the edge of the trail, so it leaves big drops offs along sides of trails and todays incident was right at the top chute coming out of widow maker. Setting up for a heelside (on the right) coming from widow and as I initiate turn at the roller, the bottom drops out (about 6' at edge of snow and total of about 12' including drop in slope) The distance was about 20'. Fortunately, it was soft and not those mega cookies they often dump off the side of the trail. On flat days forget about it and be careful of edge of trail. fortunately I was without injury and rode away.

It might be time for a chat with mountain manager. It seems they are more worried about their new fangled ski pass system and speeders in slow zones than the stuff that might maim ppl.

It's Blue, what can you say, and dont get me started on ski team taking Razor every Phucking weekend

fought through the roads and got there at 8:30. nobody there until around 10. no carving...i just brought my powder board and had a blast. conditions should be good for a few days at least now.

i will be there tomorrow most likely, with the hardboots.