Note to New Members ×

Mid-Dec jaunt to VT ... where to go

Flashby

First post for the season and itching to get out to the snow while I still have bare grass in the yard. I wanted to head up to VT this time as I've not been there. I see JetBlue flies to Rutland, VT and Burlington, VT but that only makes more decisions. Fortunately, I have an entire week available and want to hit some of these great places. Is anyone else going to these places during Dec 12-18?

Rutland airport is:

15 mi to Killington

25 mi to Okemo

50 mi to Stratton

55 mi to Sugarbush

65 mi to Mount Snow

75 mi to Mount Sunapee, NH

Burlington airport is:

35 mi to Smugglers' Notch

45 mi to Stowe

45 mi to Sugarbush

65 mi to Jay Peak

The cost is probably not too much different to head out West from Pittsburgh but the initial idea was that I was going to drive (a mere 10 hrs to Mount Snow) and my wife could join me for the trip but since she doesn't ski or ride my winter trips are not always as exciting for her. I know the Western spots are insanely huge to what I'm used to in PA so wanted to try something between there like VT and NH before heading out to the 7,500+ ft elevation spots.

I didn't see that JetBlue flew to Albany and with one-way fares down to $72 per person it was attractive enough to try out VT for a change of scenery. Yes, Sunday River and Sugarloaf are on the list of places to hit at some point.

Just wanted to see if anyone was planning on being at one of these and I could start to plan the trip. I'll be overwhelmed at all of them so just wanted to see if others would be at the same ones.

P.S. I'm taking a trip to Montana in January so didn't feel the need to do 2 Western trips in 2 months.

Go West.

If you are going to go through the hassle of flying somewhere and renting a car go west. Just because they are big mtns doesn't mean you have to go to the top. The snow conditions have a much greater chance of being better. With snow conditions better you will have an easier time on your board.

Go to Utah, you can fly in and be on the mtn in the same day.

Taking two trips out west in two months is not illegal, go for it!

:biggthump

<grin> I'm not arguing or disputing the "Go West young man" mentality but this also isn't supposed to be a Discussion Board (I'll gladly make a new post in the main board area).

With friends hitting Breckenridge this week and maybe Heavenly/Tahoe and another at Whistler -- I am already late to the party but still having fun playing catch-up.

Flashby,

Mid December conditions are pretty spotty in New England. We need some consistent cold temps and some good storms to open more ride-able terrain.

The other problem in December is that mountains are still working on their base so guns are blazing 24/7 which does not make for desirable conditions.

This leads to minimal trails open, spotty conditions and crowded trails. Every year around this time I am jonsing (as everyone else is) to get on snow. I hit a mountain in early December and conditions have always been terrible with minimal trails open.

I guess you just have to figure out if you want to take that risk. But in the end you'll still satisfy your craving for getting on snow. A day on snow is a better day than sitting in the office.

The only suggestion I have is head as far north as you can to get better conditions. Since your looking at VT I would recommend Jay Peak.

Thanks, Geoff. I have heard from others that Jay Peak gets the most snow based on its location. Killington has 18" base at the moment but I'd like to get something settled soon while prices are reasonable for flight and hotel and such. I'll keep doing some searches and see what I can find. If my wife joins me then it might be better to a larger resort (Killington or Stowe) where she can take in a spa or enjoy the area while I'm on the slopes. She doesn't ride or ski so it is a bit of a dance at times.

She doesn't ride or ski so it is a bit of a dance at times.

If that is the case do Stowe, they will hands down have the most options for things to do for no skiers. You can even drive from Stowe to Jay Peak (about 45mins or so) to get to better snow if need be.

If you are looking for some suggestions email me, I planned the ECES out there in 2008. The Stoweflake has a world class spa setup.

... but somewhere other than Stowe would be cheaper on the budget since it has less things for a non-participant <evil grin>

I think I remember an event at Stratton last year (around the time I joined) so I know that is a good place to hit. Ok, Stowe is on the short list now too (Killington and Jay Peak as well). Thanks for all the tips. I'll let you know if I have any questions. I just need to wait for the temps to drop.

If that is the case do Stowe, they will hands down have the most options for things to do for no skiers.

Thanks, GeoffV, Stowe wins the race. Just booked the trip this morning. Staying at the Lodge at Stowe so the Mrs. can enjoy the in-room fireplace and spa and all the ammenities and it is right at the base of one of the slopes so can potentially see me from head down the slope from the room. We've been that way before but it was in summer and hit Ben & Jerry's as well as Vermont Teddy Bear Company so I'm sure those will be on the list as well. And yes, I'll try to hit Smugglers' Notch and Sugarbush and Jay Peak while I'm there. Gotta cram in as much riding at as many different places as possible to get some experience with this stuff.