Note to New Members ×

High-flying,hang timin',360,airjibin',0gravity=alpine boarder?

RJ-PS

I would like to think of myself as getting pretty knowledgeable with carving thanks to some of the great minds on this site and the others(catek.com, freecarve.com, tahoecarvers.com,etc.)

However there is one thing I just don't get, why are there so many pictures of carvers catching air parallel to the snow? It is as if they did a 180 and changed edge in mid-air and will come down in a carve.

Who-da-what-da?!?

Basically every other time I pop onto Bomber there is some guy with a cheesy smile floating above the snow as if he doesn't care that he is about to eat more than snow!

Can someone please explain this to me, because truthfully I wanna do it!

Guest Pre School Rider

RJ PS,what you're seeing isn't some trick of the camera,like the snapshot was taken 3 seconds before Ka-Thunk-Bang happens... What you see is riders who have used the great advantage that hardshells offer in working the flex of a board to it's utmost.In softshells,and particularly with blunt,straight-across-the-board stances,you can't really work the energy that's actually built into the camber and flex of a board.Raceboards and stiffer freecarvers kinda have the feel of a divingboard,with loads of spring just waiting to be tapped into,and converted into forward energy.Using hardshells with an aggressive,forward-facing stance will give a rider the ability to work pressure along the whole length of the board,and do this while turning.Carving a hard enough arc on a stiffish board that has decent edge grip,you can 'load up' the 'diving board',then Release it,BOING,out of that turn,and into the next turn.That's the moment you noted seeing caught on film.I've seen this done more than once within a given arc,and I've seen this done off of little knolls that look harmless,but yield pretty big air.I can do this,and toss in a 180* spin,and land it on the new edge. I DON'T ride a Burton Seven...

Are these the photos you're talking about?

photo_home_10.jpg

photo_home_8.jpg

These guys seem pretty likely to fall in the next 0.5 second, but I guess if they are going fast enough they could bounce up and keep going.

Getting air as you switch from one edge to the other is pretty normal, but these guys seem to be getting air at the apex of their turn - I can't see how that can work too well.

But I don't understand the 180 thing you're talking about .

Yeah Baka,

That's the pic. The 180 was not a direction change as far as riding nose first and then tail first. I was talking about riding one edge and then the other but changing edges completely laid out in the air. The 180 verbage was probably not the best, sorry.

PSR,

As usual you are the one with the answer. Thanks.

What boards can you accomplish this on. I just got a Rossi 184 race, will it throw me? I was on scholarship in college for springboard diving, so this should be right up my alley.

Can anyone on the West Coast throw a triple lindy besides Rodney D.?

Originally posted by RJ-PS

PSR,

As usual you are the one with the answer. Thanks.

What boards can you accomplish this on. I just got a Rossi 184 race, will it throw me? I was on scholarship in college for springboard diving, so this should be right up my alley.

I'm not a pro (nor a really good rider), but I managed to do it a couple of times, and my board is a Nitro GTX 166 (agressive freecarve). I also was thrown enough not to be able to get in another carve because I loaded up the board too much. And also, I don't get as low as these guys, so I don't know if that counts.:(

Derf

Hey Guys,

Got reading the forms today and found this thread. I'm a Level 3 Instructor in Canada eh! We call these types of turns, dolphin turns. Where you use the rebound of the board to change edges in the air, and land on the new edge. They're pretty fun. They work better if you up-unweight or Cross-over like jack calls it.

About the 180 thing... I can do that on my sims burner 162 but sadly I rarely land in a carve. However on my soft boots setup, its pretty easy. Carve hard toeside, jump 180, and land in switch toeside carve, then smile :) cause everyone on the chairlift saw that.

The 184 race requires some speed to get it to turn sharply. It will also require some weight. If you weigh under 160 I dont know how you are going to get that board to snap. It has a 15 meter side cut so you will need to get it going pretty well before you try to snap it. It does seem to come alive at good speed and is Very stable.

With some space and some speed the snap will come and when it does you will know it

O-kay maybe I am just talking smack cuz I can. But I have video of my self not only pounding sick "porpose" turns we always refered to them as Aireal transitions. And also some Video of my self poping 360s from the pop after one carve into another(my friend Dave was very good at these as well at speed) of course it was shot in 92 on asyms but thoose who have riden with be can conferm the 180 all the time on plus 190cm boards! At speed! Any where CUZ I Ride Backward and fly big air as well!

Whats Up Old school action!

Originally posted by BBQ Chef

I have only seen 1 person able to do the 180 and land into carve and ride iy out. Will Garrow. I have also seen some one else from the Whiteface crew attempt it.

Jake's done them(180 pop to fakie and the reverse). He was pretty consistant at them last year.

Guest Pre School Rider

Matt Beck was the first guy I saw nail these back in 1989.I had taught simple nose-rolls,then gone into doing blindside nose-roll 180's.Matt figured out how to load it up mid-carve,and pop it around either direction.That became an inside joke of sorts; I mean,could a skier from that era actually carve a turn,but change direction,and still be on the same edge they did the previous arc?We'd toss that up occasionally to the 'top-dogs' in the Ski School as a baited question(you can see how my popularity within PSIA took a rapid nosedive,eh?),just waiting for the planker to overanylize the moves needed.What I never really perfected was fully 360* airborne edge-to-edge moves.I guess I wasn't high enough and/or couldn't deal with the rotation-to-edge transfer smoothly enough.It's been fun trying,though!

The things your talking about can also be found in the "carve it up" video from PureBoarding.

Carve it up

Changing edge in the air is basically a olly ....... known from freestyle or scateboarding ........ At the end of a turn, take your weight back to the tail. Then release this energy by moving forward (quick). You come out of the slope, change edge in the air and land into the next turn.

Try this trick first from the frontside to the back. I think it's mutch harder to do it from the backside to frontside.

Let me know about your experiences.

hy there

what you see on the pics bakka postet?

i d call it a flying vitelly, when you go over a bump or jump into steeper terrain, while you are laid out. you loose the edge on pourpose, in the middle of the arc for a small air and then catch the rails again to finish the turn on the same edge:D :confused:

Tigger, I recognize that quote in your signature. I felt compelled to let you knwo it is incomplete.

The full quote as I remember it was "Faster and faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"

Guest jeffnstefanie

that is a quote from Hunter Thompson

"I've never had any complants about the blue ones"

Hunter Thompson as played by Bill Murry

Where the Buffalo Roam 1980