Note to New Members ×

Mt. High to destroy your favorite EAST side carving runs too...

Bullwings

Yep, that's why I stopped going there after 2006. That place BLOWS!!!

Mountain High Launches New Top-To-Bottom Terrain Park At East Resort

Wrightwood, CA – October 4, 2010: Mountain High has long been a hub for freestyle snowboarding and skiing. Now, with winter just a calendar-flip away, the Southern California resort is set to launch its newest and longest terrain park ever. This time at the East Resort! 1.6 miles of continuously flowing terrain will make this new park one of the most sought-after on the West Coast, and give visitors two great areas to choose from.

Says John McColly, Director of Marketing, “The goal is to create a world-class terrain park at East, making use of the perfectly-groomed slopes and spreading out the traffic between East and West to create a better experience for ALL guests, park-oriented or not.”

Mountain High’s West Resort has dominated its park scene since the mid 90s but the East Resort is actually better suited for terrain. Its runs are longer, the trails are more spread out, and Goldrush’s gradual pitch is perfect for features of all shapes and sizes. Mountain High will capitalize on this by offering a brand new park with features and variations that have never before been seen. There will be a mixture of both big and small elements including banks, hips, jibs, and jumps. There will also be a second learn-to-ride zone at the top of East built solely for beginners. This area will be filled with lower-level features including plenty of fun banks and rollers, and a small BoarderCross course.

Says Justin Montoya, Terrain and Snow Surfaces Manager, “The East Resort is a blank canvas with big, wide runs that lend themselves perfectly to long lines of flowing terrain features. This is something brand new for Southern California.”

To create the best park possible, Mountain High spent the entire 2009/10 season testing the terrain, establishing features & locations, and fielding suggestions from its guests. The new park incorporates these lessons and blends itself with the natural contours of the mountain to create a spectacular top-to-bottom run that is exhilarating but compliments the terrific alpine experience the East Resort is famous for. Overall the program will better distribute guests between East and West, give freestyle riders and exciting new park to ride, and showcase the sheer amount of terrain Mountain High has to offer.

At the West Resort the park crew has been busy polishing existing jibs and fabricating new ones. Two stand-outs are a new stair feature in the Playground and a “Pipe” jib designed and sponsored by Skullcandy. The stairs will come in either a 20 or 30 foot version and employ removable footings so rails can easily be interchanged. This lets Mountain High vary the difficulty of the features and create customized set-ups for events and photo shoots.

Mimicking Skullcandy’s iPod docking station labeled the “Pipe,” this new jib comes complete with built-in speakers and a removable DJ booth so riders can not only hit the feature but be entertained as they do so. Skullcandy DJs will make regular appearances at the resort this year, providing audible excitement for both competitions and the general public alike.

Riders love coming to Mountain High because there is always something new. From the quality to the variety, the resort has been on the cutting edge of park design for the better part of 15 years. This winter Southern Californian’s have a second Mountain High park to choose from filled with new ideas and new passion. As always, a legendary winter experience is what the resort aims to provide and visitors are encouraged to post their comments on the resort’s forum at mthigh.com.

Because of proximity, I purchased my pass at Mt High. In fact I am going to get it today...It is what it is and I plan to make the best of it. If we band together and ride together with good attitudes, then perhaps the jibbers can learn to appreciate the style, power and gracefulness of laying rail???!!!

• 3 weeks later...

KTM, If you want to do the Summit/Bear Mtn pass I would recommend getting the midweek plus sunday pass. That is the pass that most of the BOL members get who ride at Summit. Usually, Saturdays are a zoo, not much carving going on unless you're there at first chair.

The midweek plus sunday doesn't allow holiday riding unless it is at night. Who wants to ride during the holiday period anyway. Too many ants!

For that pass, it is currently 399 and that gives you the ability to ride at both mtns, Bear and Summit

• 2 weeks later...

The sad part is that the majority of the "freestylers" suck!:flamethro

But I can't blame Mt. High for doing it, its all about the money. All these local resorts are getting overcrowded. My favorites are still Baldy, Waterman, and Summit on a blue Monday. Baldy and Waterman are not really that carve-able, but are fun when it dumps and ride your retired phat powder board. Little hidden gems and cheap too.

Mammoth's ticket pricing is over the top with $92 for adults. Luckily I got a season pass which also covers June.:biggthump

Skiing and snowboarding are becoming "exclusive" sports again. Mt. High is just catering to a "less wealthy" demographic which cannot afford expensive Mammoth weekend trips. Nothing wrong with that.

Mammoth is busy enough as is. Remember those days that you could blast all the way down Dave's Run to Canyon Lodge without some scared, parent skiers yelling at you for going too fast, whether you have better control of your board then they can ski. Hate that.:flamethro

• 2 weeks later...