Note to New Members ×

Insoles?

RJ-PS

Originally posted by Kent

Nice post Lonerider. It depends what you're going after. If you're a weekend warrier who has a life outside hardbooting (which I hope you do), it sounds reasonable. If you want the best possible gear and set-up, perhaps you need to invest a little more. In your situation, I would have ditched the Bombers, gone with SnowPro or Phoikka and bought a FP. Then again, you won't have to worry about bindings again.

Looking back, I'd have to agree with you about trading down the bindings, but I didn't know anything about alpine snowboarding at the time and the Bombers were the only one that were readily available (I normally don't trust buying used equipment unless I really know what I'm doing). Even, now I think the Bombers are a bit overkill for me because I'm still new to alpine and I'm light, so the durability and performance aren't as important until I get better (or heavier somehow).

Either way, I have custom footbeds now, so it's all good. My main theme is make sure you get your money's worth. Getting the free unlimited bootfitting (including liner moldings) with the footbeds and being able to use the footbeds in my hockey skates really helped satisfy my needs to "get my moneys" worth.

Having a $800 board (or three) doesn't mean much if you still can't ride very well. Well... I guess I shouldn't say that because that's just my personal opinion on how I view my own situation... if that makes you happy, and lets you have fun - then that's what it's all about.

Originally posted by bola

Kent:

You really can't be serious!

I am very serious. 100% of Thermoflex liners need an insole. Not 99.9% or 85.3%.....but rather 100%. I'm not going to get in a pissing contest about this.

ThermoFlex was NEVER MEANT to serve as an insole. Anyone who fits a ThermoFlex w/o an insole is doing a dis-service. It is IMPOSSIBLE to fit a ThermoFlex liner as a custom insole. Not hard, not difficult....IMPOSSIBLE.

As for side loads, the movements in snowboarding are vastly different and less technical than skiing. Therefore, there is room for error. ThermoFlex is generally not a good option for advanced intermediate and above skiers. So, a hand stitched liner or silicon injected liner offers MUCH better support than ThermoFlex. Back to boarding...ThermoFlex is a good option considering alternatives and application (softer boots, less technical movements).

And yes...I totally agree. One MUST question the sale of generics from the same manufacturer of customs. I imagine it has something to do with increasing shareholder value. As mentioned, OTS insoles can work...but not as good as customs.

As for your boot fitter, he's probably never offered you insoles b/c you never told him of a problem and/or told him of your performance goals/issues. That's a good move for a fitter, don't create problems that don't exist.....

Beer is on me if you're out in Breck in Dec.....

K

I have been sitting patiently by as the discussion between customs and other footbeds rages on.

But it's my post and I'm taking it back :D !

I have already decided that I need customs for both myself (Head Stratos Pro) and my wife (Burton Winds & Thermoflex), and the issue is not spending the money, we have already decided to do that (up to $200 each).

The question is.....of all the customs that are commercially available (ie without a trip to the podiatrist) which one is the best for carving in hardboots?

PS I tried to e-mail you Kent, but Fin said you chose to hide your e-mail.

Originally posted by RJ-PS

The question is.....of all the customs that are commercially available (ie without a trip to the podiatrist) which one is the best for carving in hardboots?

Clearly you should have deleted the post after my first reply :D

The Surefoot people suggested a rigid custom footbed, which is good for things like skiing, snowboarding and hockey (sliding sports where static alignment is important) - as opposed to a soft shock absorbing footbed which is made for running and other sports that have a lot of foot pounding (where pronation during footstrikes is important).

Aside from that, I don't the brand matters so much as the guy customizing the footbed for you. It isn't just heating up the moldable part and squishing it against your foot, there is a bit of adjustment involved... as least that's what it seemed like to me (first timer!)

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by RJ-PS

But it's my post and I'm taking it back :D !

I've tried both the custom cork superfeet and the Surefoot ones. Surefoot uses a cool computer gizmo to map your foot and then carve a custom footbed from a blank. Superfoot is a cork thing that is heated then vacuumed to your foot.

For reasons I've mentioned elsewhere (durability, stability, comfort) I am much happier with the Surefoot ones. In CA, there's a Surefoot at Santa Monica, Mammoth and Squaw.