Note to New Members ×

Free carving and these new plate systems?

~tb

As I previously stated, "I would not describe his technique as knees jammed together, but Benjamin clearly drives very aggressively with his back leg/knee." The first picture below shows Benjamin Karl at the top of a gate, and the second picture shows him passing the same gate. The pictures prove that his aggressive driving with his back leg/knee is not a random movement or "extremely transient moment".

I'm sorry, I'm not making myself clear. Karl's style isn't what I mean by knees jammed together, and the back knee is not at all in the pocket of the front. It seems we agree about that. I think I actually ride like this.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its called skill, grace and talent. Something that is often in short supply around here. Riding and even racing is more beautiful when its smooth and graceful. Most of the racing I have seen looks like a boxing match with arms flying all over the place and boards doing the same, not appealing to me what so ever. Ride your board like you love it and not want to destroy it. Ruts be damned! There is always more than to skin a cat or get down the mountain in this case. He has learned how to crush everybody and do it with finesse. Take lessons boys!

Think Snow!

100000% couldn't agree with you more !

When i wrote in another thread about the ugliness of the race style technique and praised the style of casper carver almost everybody was ready to eat me alive!

100000% couldn't agree with you more !

When i wrote in another thread about the ugliness of the race style technique and praised the style of casper carver almost everybody was ready to eat me alive!

:rolleyes:

"Race style technique" carving has nothing to do with flailing arms. A racer going through a rutted course as fast as they can often does though. Snowman is specifically referring to the race course, you are are referring to a technique.

I would much rather ride surfy than ride like I want to pound my equipment and the snow into sumbission.

Huh? I always thought that you were the one promoting the "don't get ridden by the board but rather ride her like a man, bend her, twist her, beyond the specs, etc..." ;) :D

Top 8 from the Olympics. I only see one that puts their knee behind the other. Maybe Karl is just more evolved then the rest.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJG8ln7jcLfz_I6rKX1KCWnXMNnQ0-Fa1sGcVJDGTP5Vli-YQ&t=1&usg=__fieL6gs5cKcXWZ5jt-HQTmYXg1I=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5jJyHZ0ai1CMZOItC27zlxuSFmkjI7aGwtS8d1C0mIN-1QPM&t=1&usg=__HdCVANtPtJV-Dt3_A2Br9VF7C2I=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1C8EqF_8UlWVVF-8aYAc0P_352ARTQ28qL9jCFiy3auIbFXM&t=1&usg=__TBn4nYvnWxil1jwM7kitW6YUEH4=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPN43vb7h0YRNV_C7-TbswdeRQDnudqHLoN-YgP8ivo77Lu1g&t=1&usg=__2qEHEFRTLAx4MAFDGD_mYkdCv78=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFMn25X4glA6mk1l0RE45O9OqaEoap-1e9ftX-dBZUv-WtPpM&t=1&usg=__2KARpQ1qPXtcCYKmR6qWBk3zcI8=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFRUgqX6jaa11Qw1GIPp7wmJtqSSNaaWWb0NP71D2E3qUZDkk&t=1&usg=__wrB8zo_Nw32FhBHwQL3MvRWV-Jk=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRB4UTZhCo0R9FxPUFl0LwiCLE0ExHx9A4aPb4kkQ-GQ9pNGoc&t=1&usg=__G2h63jLgNhorLBnR4RUSv_WWh54=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlHpN17h3QnzOSjQfQ7SGvlA_9l75Ak_bztHwpZ0h3-iR9J3U&t=1&usg=__b28sTkXT4hGifaW8sA40mhNwg-8=

Doesn't prove much... Not taken at the same phase of the turn and from the same angle. It looks to me that few of those guys would look similar to Karl, if taken at right angle and right moment. I definitelly see some rear knee lateral drive in a few pics.

Only videos could tell more...

Did Snowman just call himself the Flowmaster? Probably not... Just the way it was written.

This knees together - apart **** is so lame, the way it takes over other conversations. It could really use its own thread.

Snowboarding of any kind is a series of transitory movements. Every rider in the WC will have their knees together at some point.

Anyone who will throw a position away due to taste is not maintaining a full bag of tricks.

Is the argument based on the basic position? If this is the case, nobody training for competition "sets up" knees together anymore, they set up apart, but the above is no less true because of the default stance.

As a group of recreational carvers, many here have chosen to abandon this position. The racer does not have this luxury. Not the ones who want to finish runs, anyway.

Sorry for contributing to the thread-jack.

I AM the Flowmaster!:eplus2: Hard Boot Taliban, Lumberjack, Snowman and many other choice things people like to call me but Fin won't allow up on the site. Just havin fun.:biggthump

Think Snow!

Sorry Snowman, you are NOT the Flowmaster.

Dave Winters IS the Jedi Flowmaster. Just check the LCI vids that have him riding.

Ink

it can flow or it can crash

<object width="480" height="385">

&ampnbsp

&ampnbsp

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USlnfTGlhXc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

copy embed code, paste into createlink.gif dialog box

+1 those people rip softboots better than lots of folks on plates

edit: no offense but that video did not help your cause any...

I think Bob did a good job of being tactful yet got the point across.

You a obviously a good rider, the soft snow and low angle don't demonstrate

skills that would be on par with those you were comparing yourself with. IMO

FYI, Even those that can, seldom say " I ride better than" . It is typically a big red flag you are an asshat?

Originally Posted by slopestar

Buell/oldvolvosrule. Video posted. Comments?

still waiting. You guys must have watched but no comments? I know , I know...it's softboot footage but I claimed,you said put up and now I need to know if I had better shut up. :eek:

I don't think oldvolvo was involved. Your answer is above.

I don't think you need to shut up. You might consider just lowering your voice a tad? You ride well, it is just not a good example of carving on softboots.

flow like water is the best advice I've ever received, thinking "move like water" transformed my skiing & riding especially in the bumps and reduced my energy output a lot.

Smooth = more runs per day:biggthump

Waves at impact zone are chaotic however ...:eek:

Great riding is done with anticipation in a relaxed state...the more relaxed

we are the more we resemble the soft flows of water...

thinking of all the great Pure Carve guys as examples :biggthump

These plates seem to be able to soften things up thereby allowing a more relaxed ride...

"Waves at impact zone are chaotic however ...:eek:"

waves crash- streams flow

When I think "flow like water", the picture in my mind is that of a small stream, rolling up a bank at a curve, surrounding a midstream rock(obstacle) and coming back together continueing the flow(line) once past it, always looking ahead(anticipating) and choosing a line that flows with the terrain.

An isolation,or floating plate allows the board to flow with an uninterupted wave form (smooth arc).

I should follow Sunsurfer's lead and ghetto up a floating plate to get the dead spots out of the 185s flex.

now there's a good name for the bomber plate, the bomber floater. Mounted to a coiler would be a perfect match.:lol:

I don't think oldvolvo was involved. Your answer is above.

I don't think you need to shut up. You might consider just lowering your voice a tad? You ride well, it is just not a good example of carving on softboots.

Totally get it. Thanks. I will post when found, additional video in the "videos" area. Need to have some early 90's video tape converted to digital media. Thanks for not bus-chucking me!;)

"Waves at impact zone are chaotic however ...:eek:"

waves crash- streams flow

When I think "flow like water", the picture in my mind is that of a small stream, rolling up a bank at a curve, surrounding a midstream rock(obstacle) and coming back together continueing the flow(line) once past it, always looking ahead(anticipating) and choosing a line that flows with the terrain.

An isolation,or floating plate allows the board to flow with an uninterupted wave form (smooth arc).

I should follow Sunsurfer's lead and ghetto up a floating plate to get the dead spots out of the 185s flex.

now there's a good name for the bomber plate, the bomber floater. Mounted to a coiler would be a perfect match.:lol:

Waves do a lot more than Crash... especially for people who study them and understand their dynamics

maybe a plate would work on a surfboard...though kelly flows without one :biggthump