Note to New Members ×

Some hardboot content in new Warren Miller film

skategoat

Caught the new Warren Miller film, "Impact" this afternoon. If you've seen a Warren Miller film in the last 10 years, you've seen this one. In other words, more of the same. I guess they call it tradition.

Near the end of the film though, there is some hardbooter content. A rider named Christian Santelices rides plates and hard boots in Alaska. Mind you, the board is wide with a rounded tail so not a true carving board. But still, caught my interest after 2.5 hours of rather bland footage of "extreme" skiing.

Okay, there was one cool segment on riding a tidal bore on the Amazon.

Guest AlpentalRider

i was at the seattle show last night and my wife fell asleep, and I almost fell asleep as well. 2 hours of the same thing over and over gets old, although I did like the "Warren's Angels" segment ;)

Guest Marilyn Cambers

I was wondering what all the hype about Warren Miller was ... year after year ... we went to see it last year and left after about 45 minutes ... we thought it incredibly boring, nothing but the same thing over and over and over and over.

I don't understand all the excitement to see it every year?! :eek: There is some cool footage, but it should be free and/or on cable.

Marilyn ;)

Originally posted by Marilyn Cambers

I was wondering what all the hype about Warren Miller was

When Warren Miller himself actually had something to do with the movies that bear his name, they were great. He had a gift for narrating a ski movie with a sharp wit that is hard to describe, and will never be duplicated.

For a quintessential WM experience, rent "Ski Time". It is beyond old school, but if the skiing lifestyle is in your blood, you'll love it. It's really funny too. I suppose if you didn't grow up skiing, it probably won't connect with you though. I believe "Snowriders 2" has some decent hardboot footage, and is truer to good ol' WM form.

As for the hype of current films, I believe they are done by his son, and they're kind of indistinguishable from the next ski flick these days, but they attempt to carry on the WM tradition. Also they have come to symbolize the looming start of each ski season. Once the new WM film comes out, you know it's time to start dreaming of snow.

I was watching Snowriders II last night and there is some very good footage of hardbooters leading ski carvers down the hill at Tahoe. I think it was filmed in 1997 and shaped skis were pretty new. There is also footage of hardbooters using poles earlier in the show.

Snowriders II is showing on the INHD Network and looks sensational if you have an HDTV. I saved the show with TIVO and have watched it a couple of times. There is some incredible footage of two guys negotiating deep powder in kayaks. INHD is showing it this afternoon at 5:30 p.m. Eastern time and INHD2 is showing it tomorrow morning at 4 a.m.

I have to agree with you, Jack. As good as the motion picture photography is in the contemporary WM films, I like the older ones better.

Pat

Guest AlpentalRider

The only good thing about "Impact" is the fact that I received free lift ticket vouchers to 5 different ski resorts (4 resorts in the Kamloops, BC area and 1 to White Pass, WA)

Yea, I go every year religiously. Its great to go with friends and pray for awesome conditions. Good swag, stickers, posters.

Here in Portland we have a big turn-out. Theres always riders from the movie signing posters, etc. This years coupons were for a Free ticket to Apex, Big White, Silver Star & Sun Peaks. And a Free ticket to Mt. Hood Meadows. And a Free lift ticket to Schweitzer. And a coupon to a swanky shop that sucks in downtown. The pricey admission is kind of worth it. I drink massive amounts of caffeine and never get bored.

Rage Films are the up and coming coolest movies. The last two years have been the deepest, steepest and very crazy. I recommend that you definitely see those ones. Better soundtrack too. Junkshow Diaries and Stimulus