Note to New Members ×

Kirkwood was great!

trikerdad

Made it to Kirkwood for Veteran's Day. A 720 mile round trip for half a dozen runs, but worth it. Got crowded off the mountain by 11:00 am with only 2 chairs open. I would have stayed another day but, as far as I could tell, I was the only hard boot rider there and I get bored hanging out with myself. Tested some new gear (Donek Axis 182, UPZ boots, Arc'teryx bibs and Head snowboard gloves), and every thing rocked. I had the Axis set up a little too far back for the hard pack but could tell that I'm going to love it. Switched to my Volant 173 which worked great in the conditions. The UPZ's worked flawlessly and the Arc'teryx bibs are bullet proof. I was most impressed with the Head gloves. I picked them up on ebay for something like $34.99 including shipping. They have all the features you could want except 'carving patches' on the palms. At first I was a little dissapointed they didn't have removeable liners, but after using them, I didn't care. They're the warmest, dryest gloves I've ever tried. I'm just sorry that it'll probably be a month or more before I get to ride again.

Sorry but the weather was so weird that I bagged the trip. Turned out to be great and I am unable to commit for the weekend...torture.

Some TC carvers share a condo at Kwood once or twice a year at the Kwood resort. No reason to do the round-trip thing.

I was in Kirkwood on Friday. The weather and conditions were great,and indeed no other carvers at all. There was a small problem with their power generator (little fire) that made them stop the operations for about an hour between 1.10 and 2.10 pm, other than that GREAT.

I need a pair of good gloves!!..the second (new but cheap) pair are wearing off FAST, and the season is not even completely started everwhere. what is the "bomber" ultimate good glove brand?

Originally posted by chooblaykhan

what is the "bomber" ultimate good glove brand?

I've had great luck with Outdoor Research gloves. Durable as hell and when they show external wear, the goretex layer stays intact and they still keep you warm and dry.

I find the inner gloves too warm for most days, so I bought a pair of glove liners to wear under the outer shells. You can buy just the outer shells with OR gloves, in fact if I could do it over, that's exactly what I would do!

I had already put a coat of Marine goo on the palms and as long as you keep an eye out for any new wear spots and recoat once in awhile they last a long time. As far as being too warm, that's what is so great about these gloves, they really do wick away the moisture. Warm usualy means sweaty, but not with these. They also have an extra strap to secure them to your wrist so when you take them off they just hang so you don't have to sit on them or stuff them in your coat.