Note to New Members ×

Anyone on a new Knee?

bumpyride

I'm curious about this as well. The right knee underwent ACL reconstruction 12 years ago and has had two subsequent "tune-ups". There is no remaining cartilage. Last November I got Hyaluronic acid injections but only enjoyed relief for about eight weeks. The only other option is total replacement but my doctor doesn't think I'm ready for it for a few more years at least.

In February I tore the ACL of my left knee and will have surgery on to repair it on June 22nd. The folks I know who have TKR (Total Knee Replacement) have returned to skiing and have had wonderful results. I imagine the results would also be good for riding.

Has anyone here undergone this procedure?

The biggest problem with new technology/medication in any area of medicine is that it doesn't have a track record, you don't have an indication about how it is likely to play out over time. The first 5 - 10 years worth of patients are essentially experimental subjects whose long term follow-up results determine the true value of the "advance".

One difficulty for the potential patient, with this kind of expensive new technology, is trying to work out whether their surgeon is -

a) a pioneering genius OR

b) an entrepreneurial doctor who, having made a large investment in expensive technology to try to corner the market, is trying to keep his bank manager happy, OR

c) somewhere in between.

I've seen all three, and the shades in between, in my medical colleagues.

Caveat emptor!

SunSurfer

I have torn my ACL on my left knee 2 times ,first time back in 1988 they just streched and bolted down the same ACL and it broke again after 9 months and the second time they tried the new way "plastic surgery" they called it and it still holds up until today but with allot of pain (my left knee was'nt the same again!),after that i also torn both my PCL'S (all from basketball)!

I couldnt ski after even the first surgery because skiing is very stresfull to the knees thats the reason i tryed and stuck with snowboarding!

I have two friends that have had both knees done at the same time and

are both in their mid to late 60's...an intense option to be sure with much

rehab required...both are happy with results and one maintains their bike

and boarding joys as one is able to hike like they used to...:)

and another...

Joey, who is now 71 and Bikes, Surfs, Skis and Carves all with dakine Style

he had before...a mentor for us all :)

My Sister who is now 69 had this done 12 years ago and went from being a total invalid to

once again walkin round the block :)

From what I have seen...I would not hesitate myself if and when required.