Note to New Members ×

2010 Upz Rc10

Bora20

I bought a pair of 2010 UPZ RC10 boots form Dan Yoja http://www.upzboots.com/ last week. Dan was able to provide me with real-world advice and experience in my buying decision. He answered emails very quickly and they were on my doorstep within 2 days of ordering.

The boots themselves are 26MP and are translucent cream. They were very hard to get into the first time and had me sweating. Once I figured out that the last toe buckle was still hanging on and release it fully, they went right on with a good push. All is good now and they slip on with ease after a few hours of wearing them on the carpet.

I am going to get some different footbeds for them from the start, but overall, they fit very nice. No real pinch points, just one on my left arch, but the footbeds should help fix that. I also walk on the outside edges of my feet so adjusting the canting should help. A boot fitter will be found if this doesn't fix it.

I also had to move the to upper clasps over one hole so that I could get the boots done up around my calves. This was easy with the included tools.

I also bought the SnowPro Race LTD stepin bindings, which come with the heels and hardware. T-nuts and bolts are included with the heels and took about 30 minutes total to install. I will post about them in the bindings section.

I will have to wait until the winter to ride test them, but I couldn't pass up the deal that Dan has right now (or will have come May 1st) and got fully outfitted.

Prior to t-nuts

850230607_utgpq-XL-1.jpg

Drilled out with 19/64" drill bit (7.5mm)

850226146_WPq54-XL-1.jpg

T-nutted

850225474_z4qCj-XL-1.jpg

Heel and hardware comparison

850229344_MM9nh-XL.jpg

850235925_Y6LZY-XL-1.jpg

850224840_Rv8WG-XL-1.jpg

850224141_hmXno-XL.jpg

Boot

850240974_DzrQc-XL.jpg

850239359_PR6UT-XL-1.jpg

850237838_e3RkV-XL-1.jpg

850240135_X7ipP-XL.jpg

25.5/26.0/26.5 Shell sizing

850236506_KrNFL-XL.jpg

26MP Liner

850231350_nyWGX-XL-1.jpg

850233852_CvSmB-XL.jpg

850233116_sLy3V-XL.jpg

850234588_ofJxf-XL-1.jpg

26MP Footbed

850232298_HSD4z-XL-1.jpg

Included tools and liner pads

850235234_yPo68-XL.jpg

How they look mounted

850215629_MMHnP-XL.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a pair of 2010 UPZ RC10 boots form Dan Yoja http://www.upzboots.com/ last week. Dan was able to provide me with real-world advice and experience in my buying decision. He answered emails very quickly and they were on my doorstep within 2 days of ordering.

I am going to get some different footbeds for them from the start, but overall, they fit very nice. No real pinch points, just one on my left arch, but the footbeds should help fix that. I also walk on the outside edges of my feet so adjusting the canting should help. A boot fitter will be found if this doesn't fix it.

I will have to wait until the winter to ride test them, but I couldn't pass up the deal that Dan has right now (or will have come May 1st) and got fully outfitted.[end quote]

Picked up a pair three seasons ago, love-em, that third buckle has broken a few times on both feet, I advise you ask Dan for a few replacements now so you can have them when you need them...

I went with the Surefoot Orthodox, low volume (have had more than 4 pair all the others were much larger) and replaceable as they keep a record of your foot. Looking on his site I see no mention of a deal other than shipping, as I remember last year the deal was the free extra tongue, I'm thinking of replacing my shells and am wondering what this year's deal is?

Picked up a pair three seasons ago, love-em, that third buckle has broken a few times on both feet, I advise you ask Dan for a few replacements now so you can have them when you need them...

I went with the Surefoot Orthodox, low volume (have had more than 4 pair all the others were much larger) and replaceable as they keep a record of your foot. Looking on his site I see no mention of a deal other than shipping, as I remember last year the deal was the free extra tongue, I'm thinking of replacing my shells and am wondering what this year's deal is?

This years deal comes into effect on May 1st, but you can email Dan now and ask him what it is. I don't want to post it until it is official, but it is better than a free tongue ;)

• 1 month later...
Good I have been looking for a stiffer boot! haha

And when you said there is slight presure point on your arches is that because you have a high arch or a low arch?

I have low arches, but a set of footbeds should fix it all up. All boots force my feet flat and they hurt in every boot though.

I have a set of these boots too and love them. Word of advice. Make sure you locktite every single screws with blue locktite on it. I've had day ruined and had to fetch parts. Thanks to Dan he was very helpfull sending the parts fast.

Some nice improvements since the pair of UPS ones I had a number of years ago. Basic design is the same though. I wore through the third buckle on my rear foot (more inclined ankle so the 3rd and 4th buckles rubbed on each other). Liners look much better than the crap that came with mine.

Is the power strap an actual booster strap (stretchy)? If not, I suspect you'll really like replacing it with a Booster brand one.

I looked at that first picture and went: :eek:. Scary that there are no t-nuts in there at all. Thank goodness the replacement heels came with. It would be suicide to mount Intec/Fintec/FAST heels in those without t-nuts.

The walk/ride lever is improved a bit too. It is still retarded that down is walk and up is ride, but I guess not too many people use them for bc riding. I found it super annoying when they auto-revert to ride mode the first time you step into the snow and the snow forces the lever back up. I actually taped them into walk mode once on a long uphill hike. Almost all AT boots I've used recently have standardized on having the lever up for going uphill and down for downhill.

Enjoy the new boots.

• 3 months later...

So I have been getting ready for the season and started working on the boots. I threw in a pair of Sole Thin Sport footbeds and they made a world of difference.

I haven't heat molded them yet, but the arch pain instantly went away just wearing them in the house. They seem to have done the trick so far, time will tell once on the hill, but ok for now.

http://www.yoursole.com/products/footbeds/thin/sport/

thin-sport-footbeds-01.jpg

thin-sport-footbeds-02.jpg

thin-sport-footbeds-04.jpg

So I have been getting ready for the season and started working on the boots. I threw in a pair of Sole Thin Sport foot beds and they made a world of difference.

I haven't heat molded them yet, but the arch pain instantly went away just wearing them in the house. They seem to have done the trick so far, time will tell once on the hill, but ok for now.

Excellent, Surefoot's orthodic's suck(but their liners are excellent) and I'm on the hunt for a set, last set I got in a ski shop were hugh, not compatible with conformable liners.

When are you gonna heat mold? I would like to know if the toes mold in and if the heel cup tightens up.

another excellent gleam from bol.

I bought another set of This Sport for my running shoes and a pair of Signature EV Ultra for my casual shoes.

I heat molded them and they are awesome! They are not in tight boots, so harder to tell how they formed, but feel so much better to walk/run in.

• 1 month later...

I finally got to ride them today and damn do my feet hurt!. They are perfect for length, and feel good when not buckled.

However, once I buckle the 3rd buckle (middle bucket) my left foot, which is about 0.5MP bigger than the right one, began to throb. The snow was not good today also, but the 3 mile long run really hurt.

I think that the liners may be too high volume in the arch area. When I look at my feet, I have small looking bone spurs sticking out above the arches, and this is where it hurts.

I am wondering if a larger liner would help or if I should cut out parts of the liners where the bones are? I am not sure if I can find a bootfitter to help as I think it will be hard to punch out the middle area of the boot. I don't know if adjusting the canting would help at all.

Other than that, they feel amazing for everything else and I am really going to love them once we get some better snow.

Excellent, Surefoot's orthodic's suck(but their liners are excellent) and I'm on the hunt for a set, last set I got in a ski shop were hugh, not compatible with conformable liners.

When are you gonna heat mold? I would like to know if the toes mold in and if the heel cup tightens up.

another excellent gleam from bol.

If you are unhappy with a Surefoot orthotic, Go tell them. They will remake it differently for you. If you want a Surefoot liner, you will will have to use their orthotic. (unless you have one already that does support you foot in neutral, which is rare) I used to manage a Surefoot and I have made and used every system under the sun, and Surefoots is truly unreal. It is the ONLY system in the snowsports industry that is also used in the medical field. Just go get them done differently. They will gladly discuss the problem with you and make a different one according to the symptoms that you have. Free of charge.

If you are unhappy with a Surefoot orthotic, Go tell them. They will remake it differently for you. If you want a Surefoot liner, you will will have to use their orthotic. (unless you have one already that does support you foot in neutral, which is rare) I used to manage a Surefoot and I have made and used every system under the sun, and Surefoots is truly unreal. It is the ONLY system in the snowsports industry that is also used in the medical field. Just go get them done differently. They will gladly discuss the problem with you and make a different one according to the symptoms that you have. Free of charge.

Timely, I was looking at a pair of orthodics labeled "surefoot" as I wrote that, they are blue and almost flat, a little arch support, somewhat of a heel cup.

Today as I was setting up a set of bindings getting ready to ride I was placing the boots and thought of the blue orthodicx, so I took out the liners and put them in, tight fit, looked closely and ahh, a set in there already, took one out, a really nicely made beautiful heel, hugh instep(I'm not flat footed:) ) orthodix, my bad, don't know where I got the blue "surefoot: ones but the ones in my conformable liners, made at surefoot @ Killington were an excellent product and I apoligize for my mistake.

Timely, I was looking at a pair of orthodics labeled "surefoot" as I wrote that, they are blue and almost flat, a little arch support, somewhat of a heel cup.

Today as I was setting up a set of bindings getting ready to ride I was placing the boots and thought of the blue orthodicx, so I took out the liners and put them in, tight fit, looked closely and ahh, a set in there already, took one out, a really nicely made beautiful heel, hugh instep(I'm not flat footed:) ) orthodix, my bad, don't know where I got the blue "surefoot: ones but the ones in my conformable liners, made at surefoot @ Killington were an excellent product and I apoligize for my mistake.

No problem... I apologize for getting a bit defensive, but it always amazed me when people don't come in to get things fixed or replaced. Thats what we are there, to make things right...:)

Do you remember who fit you in Killington? Was it Ray Rice maybe? Great friend and a great guy... And one of the best boot-fitters in the world.

Have fun!

Ari

I have low arches, but a set of footbeds should fix it all up. All boots force my feet flat and they hurt in every boot though.
However, once I buckle the 3rd buckle (middle bucket) my left foot, which is about 0.5MP bigger than the right one, began to throb. The snow was not good today also, but the 3 mile long run really hurt.

I think that the liners may be too high volume in the arch area. When I look at my feet, I have small looking bone spurs sticking out above the arches, and this is where it hurts.

I am wondering if a larger liner would help or if I should cut out parts of the liners where the bones are? I am not sure if I can find a bootfitter to help as I think it will be hard to punch out the middle area of the boot. I don't know if adjusting the canting would help at all.

This is a common issue.

Install your feet in the boots, and buckle up. Particularly that third buckle. Wait until they begin to 'heat up', then wait another 5 minutes or so.

Pull your feet out, strip off the socks, and look for the red patch over the instep. Circle this with a ball point pen of your preference. Pull the liner from the shell, put your bare foot in the liner, and translate the outline on your instep to the superior aspect of the boot tongue.

From your photos, it appears that tongue is attached with velcro, so detach the tongue; beg, borrow, or 'unauthorized take' a drum sander, and thin out the plastic to provide room for that bony protrusion and surrounding tissue. Thin a little at a time, buckling your foot back in the complete boot each time until contact over the top of your foot is uniform.

Avoid abrading the stitching and your fingertips.

Wear eye protection.

So...I heated the liner up tonight (in the boots) with a hair dryer on high for 2 minutes. I then put my feet in the boots (with thick socks), cranked them down as far as I could and stood in them (with my toes on a 2x4) for 30 minutes.

It took 30 minutes for my feet to start to tingle and I am letting them cool now. I will give them on hour or two, put on thin socks, and give them another carpet ride.

I am going to see if I can get up on the hill tomorrow to do a little ride testing. I changed my bindings to 50/47 degrees with 0/3 degree cant. This give no overhang and a bit of comfort with my short legs. We will see what happens, I think it will be a success and my feet just need to get used snowboarding again.