Note to New Members ×

Donek Incline 164

I had the pleasure of being the owner of a new Incline 164. It has a 24.1cm waist, 10.4M sidecut, and around 131 EE. Running 30 deg F and 20 R. I have now had the chance to run it though its paces in all types of terrain. Very fun board that seems to be able to do everything really well. It is a very fun softboot carver and will hold an edge almost as well as my SG Cult in hard boots! Works great off piste and I've booted it off some drops and rollers at high speed. It always feels comfortable, especially at speed. I have also riden this board with plates off piste and on groom. It is a little too quick steering on the groom but excelled on the steeps and bumps. Finally got to try it out in powder. I set the bindings back 1 set of inserts and it would blast through cop and float in untracked as good as my 3800 ever could. I am very happy with this board and it is now my favorite soft boot board that I'll go to for a do anything board.

I have the 168. I wish I could ride it with soft boots, but it's just too narrow for my size 13 soft boots even at 45*. With TD3s and hard boots it really rails, though. The flex seems similar to the soft-boot boards I like (Arbor Crossbow 166, Never Summer Premier 168) but when you ride it you notice right away it's torsionally much stiffer, which is probably what makes it rail turns so effortlessly. The bigger SCR is nice too; it's a lot less twitchy.

I got this board used here on BOL and the seller described it as "lacking camber in the front". I can't say I notice this, but really have no reference. So it's possible that if I had a new one I would like it even better.

New ones have flex tailored to rider weight and the width is custamizable too. All these things for the stock board price. And you can pick the graphics! A lot of board for the money. I like this board so much I'm getting a metal FC next season.

• 1 year later...

I am considering picking one of these up custom from Sean. I have described this in other posts: I am looking for a board to mix in extreme carving (laid out heel to toe linked) and more freestyle orientated moves such as nose butters, 360's, etc... I can do all of this already more or less on my Prior WCR, so I am basically looking for a board that will make all this super easy at more relaxed angles. The Incline was recommended to me over the Razor because of its tail, which will facilitate 180's and switch riding. Whats everyone's opinion? Should I also give the Saber a look, or the Razor (like is it possible to build a Razor with a tail? I have no idea).

I bought a 168 from Teach this season and have to say it is an awesome board. It is very stiff torsionally and carves very well. I am a newbie with my first season on hardboots, previous 17 years on softboots. I started with Catek os2s and really liked the board at real low angles, the last week of the season I picked up some used TD3 SW and increased the angles (still low at 45/35). With the sidewinders everything was much smoother.

• 1 year later...

Carbon 160 is more of a soft boot carver than all mountain but that doesn't mean it doesn't float in powder. But I find flat camber boards are better for that, since with donek I had to use a bit of weight shift rather than centered. But still it allowed me to smoke other intermediate softboot riders with stock, mass-produced freestyle boards on powder day. Mogul was fun too.

Doing jibbing, park and half pipes was ok. Landing was surprisingly forgiving considering length and flex.

Even with carbon it's a bit heavier than I expected but I would rather trade weight for durability and also I can simply lose some weight so no loss really. Torsion is stiff as hell, edge locks with confidence on icy slopes but edge release is smooth and effortless. Skidded turn was easy, too.

Donek craftsmanship was as usual, i.e. superb.

Next time I'll get custom width for carving in duck stance, camber pulled out so it's as flat as possible, more rocker at the nose, more tapered nose (like Nomad or Venture Storm) then cut the nose like virus UFC. A little softer nose will also help. Might have to wait until current one shows some sign of age but with typical Donek durability will be some time but I'd have it no other way.

• 3 months later...

I ordered an Incline from Sean as soon as he started to build them with VSR & Decambered nose & tail.

It is an Incline/Wide with a 26cm waist, 9-11m VSR & the old-school white topsheet with the crown Donek Logo, my very first "New" board that was built for me.

At first, I was riding this board with bindings & freestyle boots from about 10 years ago, with & without Palmer Risers, and it just did not feel right. I just didn't have enough support & leverage to fully utilize the flex & shape of the board.

Prior to this season, I invested in some more recent bindings & a pair of Salomon Malamutes, and my oh my, what a difference a stiffer interface makes in the performance of this board. The board can rip both short & longer carves with confidence, has a nice "pop" off the tail inbetween turns, initiates turns with ease, and I don't bother with the risers any more.

This board is a keeper. You will not see this board in the "For Sale" section anytime soon!

• 1 year later...

I picked up two older Inclines last year; a 180cm with 23.5 waist, 11.5m single scr; and a 164cm with with 24.1 waist and 10.4m scr. I ride them with hardboots and use them mainly when conditions are too soft, where a raceboard tends to bury itself.  I was surprised how well they carve--feels very similar to the old glass Freecarve--just a bit mellower, with float, and busts through late day crud nicely. Even though not my first choice for riding perfect cord, you can really rail these boards!

post-2809-0-44292600-1420750093_thumb.jp180 Incline the"Delrossi" railing on firm corduroy

post-2809-0-26645900-1420749512_thumb.jpin soft spring crud 

Edited by bigwavedave

• 1 year later...

So I decided to have Sean build me a new 164 Incline with the newer flex pattern (decambered nose, less in the tail), a little narrower waist (23.5cm), and a 9-10m scr. Got to ride it all day in some fresh snow over soft groom and had a blast. Carves feel smoother, I suspect due to the decamber. There is still enough camber under foot to give a little air in the transitions from edge to edge when I put the energy into decambering the board.  With the tight side cut it can have a very slalom-like feel. Really fun board, carves like a demon. :eplus2: I have always ridden hard boots and narrow "race" boards, so this is a revelation for me to find a wider board for softer snow conditions that carves this good.

Riding hard boots in "relax" mode.

post-2809-0-02431600-1452978799_thumb.jp

post-2809-0-55193700-1452978820_thumb.jp

Edited by bigwavedave

• 1 year later...

Just came across Ryan Knapton's review of the Incline. Nice footage of him ripping turns on a 29.5cm wide version. Thought it should be here. I've owned and tried a few other boards of this type (all-mt carvers?) that get get rave reviews on the forum, but in my opinion, none of them gets it done as well as the Incline does.