Note to New Members ×

Prior 4WD 179 and Factory Tour

Bora20

My wife and I went to Whistler this weekend for a friend's birthday and contact Prior before we went about attending one of their factory tours.

The building is small, but the amount of equipment in the place is large. Extremely tidy and organized, with tons of projects on the go.

Gus showed me and Shelly and another dad/son through the shop from start to finish. We went through the old boards on the wall from Chris Prior's early years, and we then ended up back upstairs in the showroom.

The Alpine section is quite small for what they had in stock, but none the less I managed to find one I liked. Gus also said that Chris's real passion is Alpine boards and he has talked to him at length about it. It was also good to see the TD3 standard and TD3 SI in the flesh. I will be ordering some TD3 sidewinders this summer if I can.

I ended up purchasing a Prior 4WD 179 with the black Haida Eagle/Clear topsheet and black/white race base. It is beautiful! I thought about getting a 10/11 board and using the upcoming graphics, which are wicked BTW, but the $100 savings on the board and no shipping won out. Plus my wife said just buy it! There was also a 10% discount offered for taking the tour and buying in-store, plus free demo vouchers.

About me:

Height - 5'9

Weight - 215

Angles - 55/50

Lift - 3/6

Cant - 0/0

Stance - 19.75"

Setback - 1.5"

Here she is, ready for her maiden voyage on the weekend.

Album - http://bora20.smugmug.com/Sports/Snowboard-Gear/11617054_WiCaj

Top Sheet

821964533_Bz5E4-XL.jpg

Base

821962833_mCFJr-XL.jpg

Serial/Model - I really like this one as you can see the core and the carbon in the board through the clear parts of the graphic.

821963777_B9kvL-XL.jpg

TD2 base plates

821961362_iDojj-XL.jpg

TD2 complete

821960670_yNDDk-XL.jpg

So I rode it today, on nothing but ice. It only carved in about an inch, no matter what run I was on.

I adjusted the bindings after each run and in a great show of stupidity, managed to give myself heel lift on my front foot for one run. That didn't end well, total frontside edge highside, landing on the back of my head. Helmet and board both ok, body going to hot tub and chiropractor...

so...back to the board. I also had the angles set too high, 55/50, which was giving me front knee pain whenever I initiated a frontside carve. When I could make it carve, it held on for miles. It is super fast and stiff compared to what I am used to. Carving seemed easy, but skidding was difficult.

I am worried that I picked the wrong board and should have gone with an ATV instead to make it a bit easier starting out. I am not used to such stiff boards, but I am sure a better fitting pair of boots and some soft snow will make all of that go away next season. Boots on the way, now to find a local(ish) reputable fitter.

...and my abs are killing me...apparently my others boards were way to easy for me to turn.

Hello ice..

828714912_Tr4zz-XL.jpg

Parking lot adjustments

828716583_YS6i6-XL.jpg

Hey Bora,

How much do you weigh?

The 179 length is pretty long, but the 4WD is a really forgiving board. I first started on a 169 4WD but I am only 145 pounds.

As you mention, softer snow (not too soft) is your friend as a beginner. Ice and firm snow can definitely make it much harder as a beginner to carve. Not only does the edge not hold as well for a beginner (which means it is harder to bend the board into an arc and keep your speed down), but the board accelerates and goes SO much faster.

Buell

Hey Bora,

How much do you weigh?

The 179 length is pretty long, but the 4WD is a really forgiving board. I first started on a 169 4WD but I am only 145 pounds.

As you mention, softer snow (not too soft) is your friend as a beginner. Ice and firm snow can definitely make it much harder as a beginner to carve. Not only does the edge not hold as well for a beginner (which means it is harder to bend the board into an arc and keep your speed down), but the board accelerates and goes SO much faster.

Buell

I am 215 lbs right out of the shower. With full gear and clothes, probably closer to 230 lbs. I had no problems carving it over harder when I wanted to. I could make easy turns or dig it right in and turn sharp. Adjusting the binding angles again could have helped, but I was wiped.

The problem was the speed. The snow (ice) isn't forgiving at all and I would have too much speed to fast, and it was hard to burn off as skidding didn't work, I just kept up the same speed. Then the downward edge would grab and down I would go.

I did hit about 100 ft of softer non-groomed snow and it felt really nice. It was only about 2" deep, so more of that would have helped.

Once I get my "new to me" Head Stratos Pro in 1 shell sizer than now, I should be able to set my angles back to 45/40, which will really help. I also have a 3 degree disc for the rear which will also help.

You'll be fine at your size on that board. It is generally considered that around 45 degrees is the lowest you want to ride in hardboots so hopefully 45 degrees is low enough. Also, I do not know what style of riding you are trying, but just in case, do not try to square your shoulders to the nose of the board at lower angles. It will cause issues both physically and technique wise to rotate that much. Ride with you shoulders aligned with your binding angles (perpendicular). Ill fitting boots can definitely cause physical and technique issues, not to mention add to injury risk of the foot and lower leg.

This time of year gets to be really tricky to carve. Spring conditions means a lot of different snow conditions across the mountain, through the day and many times within just a couple of turns.

It is a trickier time to carve than winter. Often the good run of the moment moves around the mountain as the sun heads from east to west. If everything is firm you are waiting for the sun to soften the runs it hits first (more east facing). Then as they get too soft, you move around the the runs the sun hit later (north or west facing). Some times the whole mountain will get too slushy to safely carve. When you get the right timing on the right run though, it can be perfection.

Enjoy!