Note to New Members ×

Is your season over?

kinpa

Is your season over?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Is your season over?

• No, still riding, or still have plans to ride.
    • Yes, due to an injury.
    • Yes, due to home mountain being closed for the season.
    • Yes, due to other circumstances. (explain below)

I talked to a guy with Sparks splitboard bindings....//.... I have plans to cut a cheap board and create my own split interface out of an old pair of Nitro stepins for well under $100.

B0ardski: I too have plans to make my own split board by ripping a board in half, epoxying the 'cut' edges and devising a more efficient way to keep them together. Am worried about screwing up the board's lateral stiffness. I have never ridden a split before.

Never have seen that Spark binding before....looks pretty tight!! I'll hafta look into it.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just had 35cm over the night! Ah, just looked at the site, make that 50cm!!!

They were planing to close Cypress after the Easter Weekend, but this might extend it.

After that, there's still Hamlock, Baker, and Whistler. And, of course, the Blackomb Glacier all the way into the late summer. ;)

Caution: RUB IN- I'm done (for the day!!) more powder Wednesday I hear!!

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWMq1fc5nm0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWMq1fc5nm0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

Mid Snow Depth: 132

Surface Conditions: Powder Powder Powder and more Powder. Just a few wind scoured spots.

General Comments: The calendar says it's spring, but the dumping snow proves it's still winter. Forget about all those spring and summer sports, because El Nino is kicking in for some late season dumps. We had 33" of new snow in 48 hours as of 8am, with more on the way. Fresh tracks, fresh tracks, fresh tracks... Have a great day today!

Mammoth Mountain California.

Did they official do a full shut down today or keep stupid chairs like 7 and 11 open so they didn't have to do refunds?

I stayed in today so I could finish up some work and take advantage of tomorrow more properly. Looked like barely anything was open anyway.

we were at stump alley when they opened, the snow was good but not too much visibility, i think we did 4 runs but the last run was more like survival mode, we just wanted to get down safely, you couldn't see 10 feet in front of you and lots of really strong wind gust, by the time we got down chair 2 was shut down, about 15 minutes later they tried to open chair 10 but they didn't and just before we drove back somebody was saying that there was something open at canyon lodge but i'm pretty sure the conditions were just as bad if not worse, i don't know if they officially shut down the mountain but they should have just for safety reason

we'll see about tomorrow

I think I'm done. See below. In the end, no broken ribs, punctured lung or ruptured spleen. But two weeks out, and I still feel like Mike Tyson used me as a punching bag.

Ow! That looks like some wicked soft snow you're lying on there ... did you stuff it?? I hope you heal quickly and well ... at least it happened at the end of the season.

Thanks for the good thoughts. I am healing.

I don't really remember the fall (not due to head trauma - just speed and flailing and confusion). We were at The Canyons (Utah); snow was in generally good condition. (But yes, queequeg, it was soft were I was "burritoed" on the stretcher.)

I was on my new to me Coiler NSR 182/Vist/TD2, and we were just fly down the mountain linking turns. (My buddy was on my Kessler.) In a transition from heel side to toe side (I ride regular), I lost control and (as best I can recall) basically slammed forward onto my chest. When I hit I thought I felt something "go." I got up, knowing I was injured in some way and knowing the day (at least) was over.

I side slipped down to the chair, and essentially collapsed. There were two off-duty patrollers who were free skiing, but could call it in. In a matter of minutes, I was surrounded by three on-duties and being treated like a Pharoh. (Thumbs up to The Canyon's team.)

The rest (as the foregoing) is pretty boring, and the usual: Sled ride down (hate the bouncing), ambulance, hospital, CT scans, buddies laughing and taking pictures of me in the hospital bed, and so on. Luckily, I essentially just bruised the left, center side of my chest. (I don't know the medical terms, but no broken ribs, punctured lung, severed spleen - all that stuff a-ok.) They let me out after a few hours of observation.

Breathing is still tough, don't you dare make me laugh, cough or sneeze, and I can't seem to find many comfortable positions. But I'm miles ahead of where I was a week ago.

Oh, and for those concerned about the most important thing: Yes, the Coiler is just fine. I'm sorry that I won't post a Coiler vs. Kessler review this year. Something to look forward to.

Colin

came to a very abrupt end.

The South Ice Coast El Nino plus Arctic Oscillation one-two punch just freaking stopped. Looking at near 90F temps this weekend.

MelloYello can speak more knowledgeably. As far as I know, N.C.'s Appalachian and WV's Snowshoe and Timberline are still technically open. But the mushburger conditions suck ... literally. For this out-of-shape 'senior' one day, last week, was sufficiently humiliating.

HOWEVER, that's one day more than I got last season, and I learned that I can still link heel/toe-side carves and have some fun. And I did it on a '171', 7cm longer than I'd ever ridden. Moreover, my son, after a two-year hiatus, took an intermediate lesson and was quickly ushered to 'the park' by his instructor. The guy's apparently a natural. He couldn't be more stoked, and I couldn't be happier/prouder.

For you Left Coasters and the PNW, glad the 'Nino is finally bringing you the goods.

Enjoy!

Hope to meet some of you next year.

BB

Technically my season should have ended late Feb when I busted by shoulder. Turns out I broke something - but had no idea - so I got another incredible five days out, including three at ECES and a trip to Tremblant :)

Season is over here anyway - there is no snow. First March on record without any white precipitation. Makes know that I can't ride a little easier.

Counting the months till I can get my board back out.

i'll add my own sob story.

voted due to other circumstances.

couple weeks back, got relieved from my job, so i thought i'd have some time to finally go boarding freely. first day back on the hill was after a night of heavy snowfall with a storm advisory, second day i took a nasty spill on my second run of the day. a bit of detail of that can be seen in my latest thread. took over a week to heal.

leaving for a family vacation on the 6th (will be gone almost a month) and have a schoolwork deadline 2 days prior, so i'm stuck at home doing a lot of work that i've been procrastinating. if there's any snow left in may, i may be able to get in some more days.

it's extremely frustrating, especially because, in the 08/09 season, i never really got a working, dialed-in setup until around the last 2 or 3 of my riding days that season.