Jump to content

step in vs bail closure bindings


Guest boogieman
 Share

What do you prefer step in or bail closure bindings  

70 members have voted

  1. 1. What do you prefer step in or bail closure bindings

    • step in
      48
    • regular bindings
      25


Recommended Posts

Ease of entry/exit. Bling.

I love being able to step into my binding while gliding along, and steping out again with no effort approaching the lift line. Major cool factor!

Plus, when those pins engage, I know I'm locked in and secure.

Did I mention bling? :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't even notice the cable. It doesn't get in my way, and even makes a convenient carry handle.

Most of the time, I can pull the release even when it is under my pants, but I have seen some arrange the cable so it comes out through their pant leg.

At first, I was concerned about comfort in the boot, but it turned out to be a non-issue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Randy S.

Step-ins all the way for me.

I cut a hole in my pants around mid-thigh and had a cobbler reinforce the hole with leather. I stick a fastex clip in the top of the release handle (yes, it is built to accept a clip - 3/4" I think), run a piece of web strapping from that up inside my pant leg and come out at the hole. I attached a cheap bottle opener that looks like a climbing 8 to the end that hangs out. Not only can I open a bottle on the slopes, but I can release my leag w/out even bending down. It works great when you ride into line or want to step out on the flats.

I wish I could take credit for the idea. I stole it from Hiroshi and Scott Ferrell (Scott made a really cool custom pull gizmo - better than my bottle opener).

You can buy all the supplies for this at REI.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest boogieman

if you fall down real hard and your unlucky youl have a bottle opener stuck in your knee!

id go for something soft if i went for your option wich sounds pretty nice exept for the injury part

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by boogieman

if you fall down real hard and your unlucky youl have a bottle opener stuck in your knee!

id go for something soft if i went for your option wich sounds pretty nice exept for the injury part

I've fallen pretty hard on them and nothing bad has happened. The only drawback is they sometimes snag on the snow-fence that you find in the corral waiting for the lift.

They also come in handy if you find yourself upside down in a tree-well. You can release both bindings without having to touch your toes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Standard, though I've never tried step-in's. But I like the elegance and simplicity of the fewest moving parts possible, and the fact that it's standard, meaning all boots should work with all bindings (yeah I know, in real life, it doesn't work, like the UPS/UPZ and some older Raichles). And I never poped out, so no problem with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When a cable breaks (rare), it's a real pain getting out of the binding. You need to use something pointy (actually two pointy things), such as a phillips head screwdriver to push in the pins so the heel releases. Until you've located such objects, you're left with two choices. You either walk around with a board attached to your leg, usually the back one which makes for a very awkward walk, or, you take your foot out of the boot and walk around with one boot on and one boot off, also a bit awkward not to mention embarrassing! In any event it totally eradicates the hard boot skinny board kewl factor! Having said all that, I LOVE my step-ins and would never go back. Actually...I have three boards with Bombers, with regular heel/toe clips in the front and step-ins on the rear. It works really well that way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Miguel

When a cable breaks (rare), it's a real pain getting out of the binding. You need to use something pointy (actually two pointy things), such as a phillips head screwdriver to push in the pins so the heel releases. Until you've located such objects, you're left with two choices. You either walk around with a board attached to your leg, usually the back one which makes for a very awkward walk, or, you take your foot out of the boot and walk around with one boot on and one boot off, also a bit awkward not to mention embarrassing! In any event it totally eradicates the hard boot skinny board kewl factor! Having said all that, I LOVE my step-ins and would never go back. Actually...I have three boards with Bombers, with regular heel/toe clips in the front and step-ins on the rear. It works really well that way.

Its kinda like saying I'll never drive a car or truck again since I had a flat tire. It is rare - been on step ins for 5 years never had this or seen this cable issue.

I like step ins -- seems like it is more positive in locking in plus I can step in as I get off the chair and never stop - helps with my skier friends I see now and then. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Todd Stewart

I was at a race a few years back and some dude broke his cable, he would just take his foot out of his boot, put on a shoe and went up the lift line. Now that is commitment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lateral flex of boots is always an issue. IMHO lateral flex should not been provided by the boot, it should only care for forward/backward mobility and ancle support (and all that can be called comfort and fit). With stiff boot shells, lateral flex can only appear between top sheet of board and surface of boot sole. So either you need bindings with huge lateral flex or a boot/binding-interface with lateral flex. I only can achieve this with standard bindings with bails.

my 2 ct

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by skywalker

Lateral flex of boots is always an issue. IMHO lateral flex should not been provided by the boot, it should only care for forward/backward mobility and ancle support (and all that can be called comfort and fit). With stiff boot shells, lateral flex can only appear between top sheet of board and surface of boot sole. So either you need bindings with huge lateral flex or a boot/binding-interface with lateral flex. I only can achieve this with standard bindings with bails.

my 2 ct

:confused:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by skywalker

Lateral flex of boots is always an issue. IMHO lateral flex should not been provided by the boot, it should only care for forward/backward mobility and ancle support (and all that can be called comfort and fit). With stiff boot shells, lateral flex can only appear between top sheet of board and surface of boot sole. So either you need bindings with huge lateral flex or a boot/binding-interface with lateral flex. I only can achieve this with standard bindings with bails.

my 2 ct

I like the fact that you can step in and out really quick with the step-ins, but skywalker has a very good point here.

Lateral flex is a very important factor. The stiffer the boot the more lateral flex your bindings should provide.

I think it comes down to personal preference (again) .

Skywalker, how is that Northwave boot working with the VIRUS WCR? I have that same boot, but never used it in such a combination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Todd Stewart

skategoat

no no, he just put his foot back into his binding at the top of the hill and put his shoe in his pocket. During the race he had someone else take it down for him since as we all know, there is no place to hide ANYTHING in a speed suit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you're elderly, step-ins are a blessing!

I have an older board with SnoPro bail bindings and it's a real pain to bend over and get everything lined up properly. As a result, I rarely use it.

With my Burton Physics it's simple just to stomp in. Releasing can sometimes take a great deal of effort in tugging on the cables but I discovered that they work easily if I just shift my weight to the outside of the boot - right boot to the right and left boot to the left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Ray,

AFAIK as I know, my WCR is one of two baords, that were not shipped to Japan :p :p and believe me: It's incredibly good! The boots work fine with my moderate binding angles (55/60 R/F), I love the super secure feeling in these boots. The spring stiffnes is o.k. for me as long as I keep pushing powerfully, but little to hard when I want to do some freeride style. What I believe, I can feel is: I'm in boots designet for Racing on a board designed for GS but not in the 17cm range. It works :)

One additional point to my flex-posting: IMHO you need some for proper weight shift along the board axis (longitudinal). This is, what I wanted to point out. Furthermor a wider stance is possible, if you have some lateral flex between board and boots, which improves control in laid down turns. Again only my 2 ct

Regards

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by skywalker

Hi Ray,

AFAIK as I know, my WCR is one of two baords, that were not shipped to Japan :p :p and believe me: It's incredibly good! The boots work fine with my moderate binding angles (55/60 R/F), I love the super secure feeling in these boots. The spring stiffnes is o.k. for me as long as I keep pushing powerfully, but little to hard when I want to do some freeride style. What I believe, I can feel is: I'm in boots designet for Racing on a board designed for GS but not in the 17cm range. It works :)

One additional point to my flex-posting: IMHO you need some for proper weight shift along the board axis (longitudinal). This is, what I wanted to point out. Furthermor a wider stance is possible, if you have some lateral flex between board and boots, which improves control in laid down turns. Again only my 2 ct

Regards

Tom

Vielen Dank Tom!

Good info. I will give it a try and ride my .900 with the Terminator this weekend.

Ray

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest AlpentalRider

I have only tried standard bindings, but am also concerned about how stepins will stiffen my system. I love the flex of my Burton Race Bindings with my Sazukas. Once I move up to TD2's I'm going to loose quite a bit of flex. I can't imagine losing more by going with a stepin version.

Plus both systems work well in terms of binding interface. I have never prereleased in standards as long as the fit was set right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...