Note to New Members ×

eces 2004 photos

ruhtra

Originally posted by Gecko

For me time is more important than archival quality and a JPG from a 6MP camera is more than big enough for DOD...I tend to think in term of what can get my customers a product in the least amount of time RAW's just add a time consuming step that gives us more file size that we really need. As a point of reference over the last year we have 34 DVD's and 110CD's of archived images, I'd have at least 3 times that if we shot RAW regularly.

Yeah. I know what you mean. I'd have 60 DVDs for the last year if I kept the raw files from all my film scanning.

I doubt the DOD cares about jpeg artifacts. Like I said. To each his own.

arthur

Originally posted by D-Sub

ignorant question:

are there any "consumer" digitals that have a fast shutter speed? I bought a Canon S200 a couple years ago, and the pause between button push and actual photo makes the camera useless for action shots.

I loved the compact size of it though...any suggestions?

You need to separate the focus speed (time to lock after pressing half way) from the shutter lag after focusing (time after full press (from half press lock) that it takes to take the picture).

There are plenty of little cameras now with almost no shutter lag (I have the Pentax Optio S4 that fits in an Altoids tin). But compact consumer digitals typically do not have fast autofocus and that could make it very difficult for action.

www.imaging-resource.com does reviews with measurements for stuff like that.

arthur

ignorant question:

are there any "consumer" digitals that have a fast shutter speed? I bought a Canon S200 a couple years ago, and the pause between button push and actual photo makes the camera useless for action shots.

As far as I know the delay is part and parcle of PnS digital camera's...the least expensive DSLR that I've heard of is the Digital Rebel and that's around $700-800. One of the guys I work with has one and we can't tell the difference between it's and images and the more expensive Nikon's we have except for the file names...The Navy is in the process of converting to complete digital (there are still some film holdout but few and very far between) for the most part we are using Nikon cameras because we like them better and we have a lot of legacy lenses that we can still use. We have a use for PnS cameras and for those we issue Fuji's but other than cost (we give them to pilots) I know of no other reason. Nikon and Canon are the only two who still use CF almost exclusively the rest keep jumping on the latest little media bandwagon (I'm not a fan of XD/SD/etc to small, get lost).

Originally posted by ruhtra

Yeah. I know what you mean. I'd have 60 DVDs for the last year if I kept the raw files from all my film scanning.

I doubt the DOD cares about jpeg artifacts. Like I said. To each his own.

arthur

No actually they do, we have very specific requirements for archival images and publication. We are required to save everything so most of it gets saved only once as a large un-edited .jpg, anything for publication gets copied and croped to 5x7 @ 300dpi and saved under 2MB (the most common file size accepted by newspapers etc.), any and all caption info we imbed with Nikon view or Media Grid (a PITA piece of software BTW). All released images are pretty much edit free (we don't even do levels). JPEG artifact normally only happen after repeated saves after altering data (opening with Photoshop for any reason for instance) BTW I do shoot RAWs for some of my personal stuff especially things where I'm not sure that I have gotten the exposure right (after 20+ years of photography I have little to no trust of light meters) it bugs my airmen that I plot most on my exposures, even with a flash, in my head.

ignorant question:

Depends on what size you are looking for. I just bought a Sony DSC-W1 at Sears, $349 - 10% on Sears Card, plus $20 off any electronics over $200, net cost was $294 + tax.

Great little PnS, which is what I bought it for. It has some good manual controls to it, plus a live histogram. It will shoot 9 frames at a time at 1.6 fps. It will also shoot 640x480 at 30fps mpeg video.

Not bad for a little PnS camera. I still shoot film when I need the big zoom lenses and stuff, but I only carry that gear when I know I will not be putting it in any danger. The W1 I intend take snowboarding with me. It has already gone mountain biking, hunting, fishing, etc... with me.

For some good digital camera review sites check out:

http://www.steves-digicams.com and http://www.dpreview.com

It seems like the digitial P&S take waaaay more time on the autofocus than the analog ones do, can anyone explain why that is? Anyways, Dsub, as others have said you push the trigger halfway down and get the focussing done first, then you tell everyone "smile", then press the trigger. It's pretty quick then.

A have a Canon A75, which is a 3.2 MP camera. That's plenty of resolution for my purposes. It's inexpensive, and has more features than most in its price range including manual override of damn near everything. You can shoot aperture priority, shutter priority (up to 1/2000), manual them both if you like, or select from over a dozen automatic modes. You can switch the focusing mechanism to focus on the centre, then manually keep that focus for the next shot/shots, which is what you want for action. You can select the ISO number to digitally "push" the picture. There's more features, can't recall them all off the top of my head. Video, of course - 640X480 with sound for 30 seconds, lower resolutions for about 3 minutes. Both of the review sites mentioned give it high marks (look for either the A70 or A75 review - basically same camera, coupla more features on the 75).

• 9 months later...
Guest Jon Rutherford

Thats me, Jon R :cool: (guy in black at the end)

ARGGGGHHH...is it winter yet?

thought it would be fun to compare some of the toe-side turns taken from about the same vantage point of a couple different riders to compare body mechanics. . . just for fun.

Had to flip around some of the goofy riders to look like the rest of the world :D sorry about that guys. anyway . . .kinda interesting.

http://www.ourwalden.net/art/comp.jpg

Lets see,

top to bottom, Thorndike, Myself, Fin, Drawing a blank on the name but I want to say Rod for some unknown reason from NZ I believe, followed by . . . damn, drawing a blank help anyone?

What to learn . . . Thorndike rips no matter how he looks riding. My a$$ is still way to high in the air. If you piss Fin off, he runs over you and your wife on the first day of the event (sorry had to). The Guy in the blue looks like he is having more fun than the rest of us, and I personally think the guy in black on the bottom has very clean strong form and looks really good.

I should get back to work.

-Todd Brown (~tb)