Note to New Members ×

Head Stratus Pros

big mario

Nope, not 2012 models, 2008 model.

Again, I spoke directly with the buyer from head in germany, (who orders the boots from dalbello) and he said they last ordered them in 2008, and have no plans to order any more!

Yea then my friend was mislead from what Bomber told him haha. Well this sucks because I hear they are amazing boots and they are now discontinued.

Nope, not 2012 models, 2008 model.

Again, I spoke directly with the buyer from head in germany, (who orders the boots from dalbello) and he said they last ordered them in 2008, and have no plans to order any more!

Could someone please win the lottery and buy the rights and molds?

Bomber Stratos Pro, sounds good doesn't it? ;)

If you need a spare part you can generally use ski boot bits. I have used them and they were actually better than the stock ones.

The had the Head power cam buckle off a ski boot and it worked fine.

I assume thats what you are talking about?

That is what I am asking, if there is a particular ski boot (make and model?) clamp that works really well with the HSP? I have some older clamp that works ok now, except it pops when i am riding it hard. The unique thing about the clamp on the HSP that it only has 1 rear screw holding the clamp on vs rivets or slipped in versions.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I bit the bullet and gave HSPs a try, slightly downsized at 26.5 (from 27.5 in Deeluxe). I am using new Zipfit liners in the HSPs, which I've used for some time now with previous boots. I've been a pair of SBs then Suzukas for many years now, and highly punched/customized. I was worried coming into HSPs that I would need a lot of work to get them to fit, but they do seem to support my wide feet without needing to get punched.

I spent a decent day on them today and had a few hot spots and some heel pain but I think I need to give them a little bit more time before I need to tweak them a bit more. I was happy that the toebox was sufficient. The flex is concerning me though. Locked is just too stiff, especially in the rear. I tried front locked/rear unlocked for a while and that felt good, but I know I shouldn't put too many hard miles in this config.

The buckle contact concerns me a bit as this does seem to happen when I flex hard. There appear to be quite a few potential mods that people do these boots, but I am hesitant to do so since they are brand new boots. Do the rear boot mods + BTS make the flex that much better? Should I just hack away and see what can be done to improve the flex?

Do the rear boot mods + BTS make the flex that much better?

It did for me.

Should I just hack away and see what can be done to improve the flex?

That's for you to decide. You should take comfort that other people have already been down the path and there are plenty of links on how to do the modifications.

bts, cut the wings in the back at a 45 deg angle, booster straps = bliss.

Buckles never seem to pile up on me.... i'm wearing 28.5's though.

Started with a size 29, downsized to a 28.5. They are very differrent size wise, I had to shorten my binding distance quite a bit.

I use Conformable liners. Glad I went down the size, I did have to get the toe box punched quite a bit though.

I have used the same pair since the black color way came out after the orange went away, even though I have back ups.

I switch from HSP 25.5 to 26.5 as my toes were bent all the time.

On my 25.5, I did the mods Big Canuck says and my riding improved.

Curiously my 26.5 are softer than my 25.5, probably because there is more space between the buckles. I have red HSP with gold buckles, never seen anyone else with red HSP :cool:

By the way I'm at 160

I'll probably do the mods on the 26.5 also.

I've been riding Heads for 9 yrs and I saw a huge improvement when I installed the BTS. I didn't think I could improve the boot because they always were comfortable and I felt like they were performing well. Then I added Booster straps last season and WOW, better control and quicker edge to edge. I thought about cutting up the shell but the idea of not being able to go back kept me from making that modification. Good luck and Happy Trees, Kipp

Rode on unmodified HSP's last year, and am on fully modified HSP's with BTS this year. No comparison, its night and day better this year, from the first turn I was amazed at how much less work it was and how at the end of the day I wasn't feeling like my legs were going to fall off.

I'm a lightweight (155-165) and I would recommend it to anyone using heads in my weight range, I can only assume with stiffer springs it would work perfectly for pretty much anyone and everyone.

• 1 month later...

Just want to confirm that yes, Head no longer and will not produce snowboard hardboots. Production ceased in 2008, and there is no such thing as a "2010/11" model of the HSPs. I did a lot of digging and emailing to find out who/what/where/why but apparently the molds were destroyed, Head simply lost interest in supplying the the alpine snowboard community.

Yet from another source I heard that "someone" (who I have no idea) indeed bought them and there may be a new manufacturer coming out with a version of the HSPs that are more closely related to Northwaves .950??? Quite honestly I dont believe that one, but there are other rumors I heard of "something something happening".

As of now as everyone knows there are really only two hardboot manufacturers: Deeluxe and UPZ. The introduction of a third would be phenomenal and would point to how the hardboot community is in fact growing more rapidly than we thought.