Note to New Members ×

Buying Canadian boards

skategoat

Just wondering - is the fact that Prior or Coiler are made and shipped from Canada a deterent to buying? For Americans, that is?

Are you guys getting dinged only the State sales tax or is there additional duties/tariffs? Is the shipping more expensive and does it take longer than say a Donek?

shipping from canada is on an 80 year old pony with a GPS system to find directions.

Unfortunatly the GPS system is virus ridden and only works when chanted at with a jamacan voodoo witch doctor.

um.. yah.

SkateGoat:

I have had goods going both ways across the border.

There are many ways of getting around the potential taxes/duties.

I have sent/received numberous skateboard/snowboard packages from the US (I am in Canada) and about 99% of the time - I get them through duty and tax free.

Plus, you have the benefit of the dollar exhange, that makes goods from Canada slightly cheaper.

Hope it helps

Rob

Originally posted by Rob-CanCarve

Plus, you have the benefit of the dollar exhange, that makes goods from Canada slightly cheaper.

Last year it was cheaper to buy Canadian but with our strong dollar Donek is the same price or a little cheaper. Donek's price of $US550 is pretty much bang-on Coiler's price of $CDN680 at current exchange, both a little cheaper than Prior at $US585.

I note the US pricing for Prior works out to $CDN715 but the Canadian pricing listed on the website is $759 - can us Canucks buy a Prior with US bucks?

I know a ton of consumer goods move from the US to Canada but far less the other way. Most of us Canadians who buy from US sources have figured out ways to minimize tax and shipping. I was just wondering if American hardbooters lean towards American suppliers for the reason that they don't have to ship across the border.

The reason I ask is that I have a friend in the freight forwarding and fulfillment business and I thought a possible source of business for him would be Canadian snowboard mfgs selling to the U.S. He could set up a US shipping location. But, if it's not a big deal to American buyers then there's no opportunity.