Note to New Members ×

Skwal Riders General Discussion

mikel45

As mentioned in another thread.

I tried the Coiler Skwal demo on Friday for 3 hrs and got rid of the poles on the last run (could go for more but my quads won't let me).

I love the new feel and something new to learn.

On order from Bruce:

170 Nirvana Balance Skwal, 10.5/12.7/12m sidecut. (the demo was 172 or 174cm), a tad softer than the demo for my weight.

Width to be determined but likely 'wide' 13.5 or 14cm as I'll be running F2 bindings on them with Northwaves boots on soft.

I was booting out at times, not sure if technique or the fact I was trying to do EC on soft snow and my bindings or boots were touching the snow.

Incidentally no foot pain on that set up.

Most amazing bit was how well it cut through choppy snow I normally would be bouncing around on my VSR.

I took out the Thias Easy Jungle on some re-frozen 'snow' this weekend.  It was 1/4" to 1/2" of firm machine groom on top of man-made yellow ice. The Thias and I weren't working together well.  Edge grip was lacking compared to my memories of the Skwal USA board that was pretty amazing on ice.  My other snowboards didn't struggle with grip on the same surface.  

I didn't get to do a back-to-back with the Thias and the Skwal USA as I left the latter at home, but I'll try to do that comparison after ATC.  The Thias is a popular choice around here; how do others like theirs on ice?  Or, is the Skwal USA just awesome on ice?  

I didn't get to do a back-to-back with the Thias and the Skwal USA as I left the latter at home, but I'll try to do that comparison after ATC.  The Thias is a popular choice around here; how do others like theirs on ice?  Or, is the Skwal USA just awesome on ice?  

For my 220 lbs it is way too soft with little to no grip on anything firmer then the next-day-after-the-snowfall Sierra snow.

Easy Jungle is a soft and very short radius skwal originally targeted for beginners or extremely light riders.

Thias 8 and 12 m are nice boards in the right conditions but they are definitely old school technology. New Colier Titinal 174  is a whole new deal. Very pleased with it's handling first two days out . It's not in the Coiler lineup this year but I'm sure will be very popular in next years offerings.

First batch of boards arrived yesterday!  Website has been completely overhauled!  Ready for business!

boardshot.jpg

We plan to be at the Aspen Trenchin' Convention Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with at least one DEMO board available to get your hands on.  

If you have any questions please contact me ASAP!  

nosegraphic.jpg

My observations are that Bruce is very busy making people happy by staying home this year and filling orders. I have three Skwal's two Thias glass construction and one Coiler titinal. No question new construction is the way to go. Learn on an old one and if you like it quickly move up to new construction. I gave no indication to Bruce what I thought he should make for me other than approx. length and relied on his expertise . I was not disappointed. Contact him provide your weight and desired turn radius and let him work his magic. Bruce has one demo that he rides but if you are interested in trying mine in Southern Ontario  I'm at the Oshawa ski club most weekends.

• 1 month later...

Screws are into inserts - you can do and undo as much as you want! 

Set it up so you can comfortably stand on carpet in your house.  Do this near a wall or in a doorway!  ;)  I liked a bit of outward cant on both feet.  There are three sets of 4x4 holes. The rearmost ones are for powder, center your stance on the front two sets.  

Riding - keep your shoulders/hips at 90-degrees to the board.  There are some good old videos showing the progression of the steps on YouTube, search for 'Skwal beginner' or similar.  

• Like 1

If you are a skier too I have experienced a more comfortable cool down by switching back to skis for a few runs to cool down my muscles. Hopping off the skwal  and driving an hour in the car make for a tough stumble into the house ! Starting out with poles and a wing man helps to keep people off your back. Once you have the balance thing figured out a little speed is your friend to make turning easier.

• Like 1

The board won't be nervous but you might be the first few times out.  As your speed increases your stability will increase as well. Once you get over the basics and become more confident with increased speed it will feel more stable. Until you get spoiled riding a newer titinal board the Thias will serve you well. Learning on a short sidecut board is not a bad thing. But you will probably want to get up to a 9.5-10 side cut on your next board unless you ride only huge groomers and then you can really open it up with a 12m and really scare yourself.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The board won't be nervous but you might be the first few times out. As your speed increases your stability will increase as well. Once you get over the basics and become more confident with increased speed it will feel more stable. Until you get spoiled riding a newer titinal board the Thias will serve you well. Learning on a short sidecut board is not a bad thing. But you will probably want to get up to a 9.5-10 side cut on your next board unless you ride only huge groomers and then you can really open it up with a 12m and really scare yourself.

About to step onto the narrow path to nirvana. Will be giving my Skwal USA 17cm waist, 167cm Propaganda (8m SCR) freeride/powder board a few turns on an indoor snow slope. A trial run last year on the beginners slope at Turoa was fun. Just need to get the stance set. I note that the waist on my Riot Supercarve 180cm is also 17cm (approx. 12m SCR). Once I've got the feel of the Propaganda, I may try the Riot skwal style when I head south to Otago in August (& lowrider, I may even leave the isocline plate on!).

Update: Just been doing some carpet carving to work on those binding angles. The greater width has given me a wider range of options. I could even ride it the 65F 60R I ride my snowboards though that would be cheating. Will be riding it skwal style but some experimentation is planned.

Edited by SunSurfer

Which is why I personally recommend a wider stance. That old school narrow skwal stance was killer on my legs and spreading it out with very slight binding angles dialed everything in.  To each their own, I've seen some rippers with that short stance so there is no right or wrong.

About to step onto the narrow path to nirvana. Will be giving my Skwal USA 17cm waist, 167cm Propaganda (8m SCR) freeride/powder board a few turns on an indoor snow slope. A trial run last year on the beginners slope at Turoa was fun. Just need to get the stance set. I note that the waist on my Riot Supercarve 180cm is also 17cm (approx. 12m SCR). Once I've got the feel of the Propaganda, I may try the Riot skwal style when I head south to Otago in August (& lowrider, I may even leave the isocline plate on!).

Update: Just been doing some carpet carving to work on those binding angles. The greater width has given me a wider range of options. I could even ride it the 65F 60R I ride my snowboards though that would be cheating. Will be riding it skwal style but some experimentation is planned.

Forgive me, but I don't think that a board with a 17cm waist is in any way a skwal, or am I misunderstanding what it is? Isn't it just a modestly narrow Alpine board with a short radius, even if it was sold by Skwal USA? Riding this with typical Skwal angles will result in severe underhang and zero leverage. Even with my 12.6 and 13cm Skwals I use angles between -3 and -10 degrees to ensure that I can modulate edge pressure.

Hi Art,

I 4 x 4 inserted a Nordica Jah Luv ski several years ago. It worked fantastic. Specs: 185 cm 167/140/157 29m radius. early rise tip. Titanal+ wood core. A little on the stiff side as a ski but I found it great as a Skwal. I mounted my stance centered on the skiis marked boot center. 

I just picked a brand new pair that I will install a set of 4 x 4 inserts, for any interested party, based on ones preferred stance width. 

I've found that Skwals and Monos have too much sidecut to be a great powder ride. This set-up is NOT for trees, ( although it would work fine I think). It's for big mountain, or open terain/ bowl type riding. I never tried it on firm conditions but it should be ok because of it's Titanal. It does carve rather well on soft fresh groom too. I wanted a Ski that won't throw me "over the bars" when I make a fast turn transition. 

Cost will be $ 300 + shipping. Inserts placed based on your personal stance width preference.

Don 

• Like 1