Note to New Members ×

Skwal Riders General Discussion

mikel45

You are a dip **** of epic porportions. Put down the cocktail and go back and reread exactly what I said about Skwal. Then, pick up your cocktail and choke on it.:)

Think Snow!

Hey Skiman!!! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing I mean so much to you that you would go through all this and get so emotional over little ol' me. You think about me all the time don't you. I know you do, I'm in your head and hard booters with your oppinions are just a bunch of dirty skiers.:p

Edit: Tell Tex to man up and delete his ignore "list" (what a pussy)

I am not sure where the boundary is (I ride both in some manner) but I prefer angled bindings on my skwal setup. I found the most difficult adjustment to be getting used to 60 degrees and hard boots on an alpine board, not increasing angles above that.

I am not sure where the boundary is (I ride both in some manner) but I prefer angled bindings on my skwal setup. I found the most difficult adjustment to be getting used to 60 degrees and hard boots on an alpine board, not increasing angles above that.

I think the dividing line is around 14cm waist. I loved riding the couple that I have been on, but couldn't get used to riding them on anything but cord. I'll get another when I have seasons longer than 10 days (hopefully in the near future!)

riding 87/90 takes some real getting used to. best comparison I could make is a slalom waterski.

photodad-what exactly is your reason for being here on BOL? You have been a bit of a **** show since you showed up and there seems to be no end. Do you have any actual interest in the things this site has to offer or just here to piss in the soup? Inquiring minds want to know. Sorry to salt up the Skwal thread.

Think Snow!

I carve therefore I am. It must have been my mistake for thinking this was a snowboard carving forum. I still believe it is but there are a handfull of intolerant people that think this spot is "all about the shoes". FYI, I have played golf in flip-flops before, I didn't have the spiky shoes. Shhhh. :ices_ange

Hey Skiman!!! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing I mean so much to you that you would go through all this and get so emotional over little ol' me. You think about me all the time don't you. I know you do, I'm in your head and hard booters with your oppinions are just a bunch of dirty skiers.:p

Edit: Tell Tex to man up and delete his ignore "list" (what a pussy)

Can we get rid of this guy and his drive for negative attention yet? He offers nothing but headaches.

definitely carving.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHwf15IrMJ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHwf15IrMJ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What was good was trying downhill boots which were more responsive with greater edging power.

Very interesting ... two questions:

1) what model of downhill boots were you wearing, by-chance, flexon comps?

2) did you have heat mould liners?

Some skwal tips from someone that has put around 80 days on them this season alone.

Boards: vary, pick your poison if you can find it.

Custom is THE way to go though...

Bindings: TD3 SKWAL!('nuf said!)

Upgrade to step-in if you have the boots for it.

Boots: I personally use an alpine snowboard boot.

This allows you to have a shorter sole length than ski boots, allowing for lower angles(if you angle at all).

This also allows you to utilize the Fintec step-in heel assembly.

GO STEP-IN!

Thermofit liners are also widely available.

This is also HIGHLY recommended.

I use UPZ RTRs with Fintecs. Thermofitted!

Riding tips: practice, practice, practice!

It feels really odd at first, but once you get hooked you won't want to go back!

Ripping on a Thias Easy Jungle 165 8mSCR. :1luvu:

rip.jpg

Riding tips: practice, practice, practice!

It feels really odd at first, but once you get hooked you won't want to go back!

I 2nd that, it's crazy weird at first but once you get it there is no undoing it. The carving boards are just a gateway drug to THIS!!! :eplus2::freak3::eplus2:

I won't be giving up my board quiver any time soon, but it will NOT be growing either, skwal maddness has gotten to my brain.

entertaining the idea of mounting skiboard bindings on regular parabolic ski and / or snowboard - how crazy is that?

If you are going to try it, I would use T-nuts for mounting the bindings. I don't know how you are planning on doing it, but I would not drill and screw the same way you mount ski bindings. There are very few things in life that suck more than losing your front binding to board connection at a high rate of speed!

I ride occasionally with a sit skier who rips, but his gear limits him on the steeps. I've suggested ditching the standard ski (breaks them often) with a swal for better edge on steep piste and better float in pow.

Tim's a big guy and with the wieght of his rig is pushing 250#. We're thinking a skwal around 12-13 x 180cm would fit the bill. Any of you skwallers think that'd work, and maybe have a board to fit the bill?

I've got a 2001 era Volkl Monocarver (Skwal) that I might part with. It's a metal board and very rare in the U.S. It rips. 14.5 M SCR. I think with weight/pressure it turns down further, (sharper). 16.5 CM tip/11.5 CM waist/15.3 CM tail. The stance width is around 14" - 16 1/2" . It's in good shape. I bought it new last year and rode it around 40 half days. (more like 3 hour days). I weigh 225#.

It looks to be slightly bent in front of the front binding area. Barely noticable and no evidence in the topsheet or base to suggest any damage. Very minor, just being full discloser. If anything it helps with turn initiation. It has a ton of camber. The inserts are odd, but a 4X4 works when twisted 45* I ran Catek OS 2'S. I think with cut down Catek Polycarbonate Plates this would work with the extra weight. I put some on my Donek Custom Skwall FC and it stiffened it some and increased the "pop" alot.

$550 with the stock/original Volkl "bail" bindings. PM me if interested and I could send some pics.

Don

Feed the addiction...:eplus2:

Might be interested, thanks Don. Your email thru BOL is not enabled. Send me a couple pics to tmoore at gotsky dot com, not sure how soon I'll talk to Tim again about it, some time this coming week.

The sit ski will mount directly through a nylon block so the bindings won't be necessary but if you want to sell as a package I'll put them to use.

ps what's the length?