Note to New Members ×

Is it worth to come back to snowboarding sports?

Maciek

Now I do not mean just simple fun. I sampled it in the past as many know ;)

The only question is: should I drop $1500-$2000 for one of titanal boards, TD3 Sidewinder and some flex systems control (I hope my old AF 700 boots are still good even though they are from times when buckles were plastic)... or should I get set of new autocross/race competition wheels and some fuel/ignition controller for performance car for the same price?

Please help me. Am I welcome in the community? Any help to catch up with modern stuff?

I am serious. I am pretty much set with community of motorsports, but I wonder if I stand chance in this particular winter sport which I loved years ago.

Have good runs

I know you have been a member a long time. Perhaps do some reading to get caught up. Then get out your old gear and see if you still enjoy it?

You do not need expensive gear to have a good time. (plenty of threads that you can join existing pissing matchs on this topic)

In short, the new boards, bindings, boots all provide additional features , feel and benefits. Just go ride!!

Welcome back, again. :biggthump

Poland? :confused:

I sense a Polish Jamaican accent in your writings? :eplus2:

PS,

Donek or Coiler (non Metal) + Vist Plate + TD2 Bindings for 900$. Good system for less than a grand.

Donek or Coiler (non Metal) + TD2 Bindings for 900$ for less than 500$ top of the line a couple years ago , still excellent gear that will still test the best of riders.

I know you have been a member a long time. Perhaps do some reading to get caught up. Then get out your old gear and see if you still enjoy it?

You do not need expensive gear to have a good time. (plenty of threads that you can join existing pissing matchs on this topic)

In short, the new boards, bindings, boots all provide additional features , feel and benefits. Just go ride!!

Welcome back, again. :biggthump

Poland? :confused:

I sense a Polish Jamaican accent in your writings? :eplus2:

PS,

Donek or Coiler (non Metal) + Vist Plate + TD2 Bindings for 900$. Good system for less than a grand.

Donek or Coiler (non Metal) + TD2 Bindings for 900$ for less than 500$ top of the line a couple years ago , still excellent gear that will still test the best of riders.

Yep. Poland:) Still accent here and there... written and spoken :)

Thanks for warm welcome!

Get both :)

IMHO money dump into car get less dollar per grin ratio compare to snowboard.

Now that I think about it; my daily driver cost less than my snowboard equipments lol... board + binding + boots + cloths

i spent much $$$ and time on my weekend car galant vr4 and i rarely get to use it to it's full potential. Where snowboarding I am barely scratching the ability of my setup.

--

David

i spent much $$$ and time on my weekend car galant vr4 and i rarely get to use it to it's full potential. Where snowboarding I am barely scratching the ability of my setup.

Drool. I remember the joy and fun I had with my '95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 and can definitely relate to your Galant thrills. I don't envy your decision.

You could get a cheaper board and bindings without sacrificing too much fun. Even World Cup riders use cheaper F2 bindings, your boots are fine with a BTS and maybe some new liners. For €1000,- / $1500,- you can find a very decent setup, all new. If you shop around for second hand, demo stock or NOS even for less.

my advice = I think you and everyone else going out, buying the best new gear you can afford will help your game tremedously, and not just because you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you're on great current equipment.

Your purchases will also help keep manufactures, distributers & marketers in the game.

An added bonus will be that you can generate cash in the re-sale market while building good kharma helping cash light folks like me get geared up.

:cool:

I'm going to buck the trend: If you don't absolutely want to get back into it, don't bother. If it's not a passion you have to satisfy you'll just be wasting your time and money. If you agree with this then best of luck in your other hobbies! If this makes you angry then you have your answer: You want to get back into it.

I know the feeling about buying car parts. Just remember that your budget depends a lot on the class you choose to race in. Stock-type classes = cheaper. Modified = $$$. The racing is just as good in either but the cars are more crazy/exhilarating in the $$$ end.

I made a similar rationalization. After just once on the slopes for the first time using rented equipment I did some number crunching and it was far better to buy my own stuff and not have to fight rental lines, get there 4 hrs before the place opens, etc. So the next day or two I spent about $1,000 on equipment to get me up to speed: used board, new boots, and new bindings.

I knew the boots and bindings could be sold if I ended up not pursuing the sport since they are new so that helped. Also, for my previous car, a single set of summer tires were close to $800-$1,000 and only lasted one year. Ugh. This stuff will (hopefully) last me 5-10 years. At least, that was the reason I gave my wife and it seemed to work.

I would say, try and do both.

I go between boarding and off-road motorcycling. I get bored with boarding toward the end of a season. I NEVER get bored of my bike. If I did not have both though, It would be a LONG winter as I can't get out moto riding as much as I would like, but (usually) can get tou boarding pretty easily. I do use studded tires, so we ride all year, but, sometimes the stars just don't align.

Welcome back!

My personal opinion, take it for the $0.02 that it is worth:

Get a Titanal board, keep your boots, skip the binding sub-plate.

Beg or borrow a ride on some Sidewinders and see if they are for you... I love 'em on my longer decks, but don't feel the need on my shorter decks.

Titanal boards have now been around long enough so that they show up in the classifieds from time to time... I've actually sold 3 myself, still own 5 others.

Maciek,

My boards, bindings and boots are older than my kids. My pants are ripped on the right knee and left hip. I use duct tape. I wear my wifes old jacket and have to sew the pockets at least twice a year. When all is said and done I look like I just crawled out of the dumpster after Ski Barns used and second hand board swap. Yesterday was day #30 for me and I ripped through moguls on Devils Bit and Pipeline and then drove hard lines leading up to the lift. I don't care what people think about what I look like or my riding style. All I care about is having fun and ripping turns. Don't worry about the new stuff, just grab your old setup and get out and ride and it will quickly come back to you. That is the reason you started riding in the first place, to have FUN.

Please help me. Am I welcome in the community? Any help to catch up with modern stuff?

Maciek - you are welcome as far as I am concerned. The only thing I can say about boarding is that there is no other feeling in the world that I have experienced that you can get from trenching out a high G turn. I am addicted and can't stop. Must. Carve.

All I care about is having fun and ripping turns. Don't worry about the new stuff, just grab your old setup and get out and ride and it will quickly come back to you. That is the reason you started riding in the first place, to have FUN.

You need to get your priorities in order and start helping out with economic recovery. Pronto.

Get both :)

IMHO money dump into car get less dollar per grin ratio compare to snowboard.

Now that I think about it; my daily driver cost less than my snowboard equipments lol... board + binding + boots + cloths

--

David

Actually not quite true about car and snowboard comparison. I have been doing performance driving in comp for last 4 years and I can assure you that G-Forces you get in (real) performance car and in GoKart gave the same sensation as snowboard used to give me some time ago. I also could not believe this. Also more sensation you get when you spin the car.... trust me as I am used to do this now ;)... only that smell of hot and smoking rubber... oh well some like it anyway.

I use my Miata to its full potential :) I am making iit now autocross divison competitive (at least I try)... and who knows maybe national championship next. Nah... I think that by that time i will get my race license and proper car :)

Anyway this will not make me stop thinking about snowboarding. Winter is quiet season and the only thing I do is workout (yes to be competitive behingd steering wheel you have to do this as well). So why not to give shot some old hobby from time to time and meet old friends.

No I wil not post any flames on the forum this time... promise :)

Good runs!

Maciek,

My boards, bindings and boots are older than my kids. My pants are ripped on the right knee and left hip. I use duct tape. I wear my wifes old jacket and have to sew the pockets at least twice a year. When all is said and done I look like I just crawled out of the dumpster after Ski Barns used and second hand board swap. Yesterday was day #30 for me and I ripped through moguls on Devils Bit and Pipeline and then drove hard lines leading up to the lift. I don't care what people think about what I look like or my riding style. All I care about is having fun and ripping turns. Don't worry about the new stuff, just grab your old setup and get out and ride and it will quickly come back to you. That is the reason you started riding in the first place, to have FUN.

I think I may give shot this what you recommend. I am more inclined to go with my old gear (if it does not fall apart... except old TD1's of course).

Only I would like to have some feel how is carving on the modern equipment. How does this feel? How much I missed? How different rider i might be if I used those new boards, bindings and flex control systems?

Those are questions I ask myself.

You need to get your priorities in order and start helping out with economic recovery. Pronto.

That's what I felt at some point. I gotta be honest I may not need new gear, but... well I think I may have some old obligations to Bomber and Donek :)

If you have to ask, then no.

Jack,

You mean the forum or snowboarding in general? ;)

Yes I have to ask. I still need that confirmation from folks who stick around snowboarding. In addition, it is part of your fault that I am asking and thinking about modern gear. You should not write review for new snowboards so well :D

Drool. I remember the joy and fun I had with my '95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 and can definitely relate to your Galant thrills. I don't envy your decision.

I drool when I see Miata... even though I own one. Every Miata should be mine especially those with turbo or Vette engine ;)

Yeah, Miatas are fun and do well in the 6- and 12-hr Enduro races that I Pit Crew in for some friends. They are all so evenly matched it makes it interesting. Anything can be fun though. Glad some folks on here dabble in the car scene as well.

I did not read many of the replies buuuutttt

I don't think you'd need a sub plate, they are generally heavy and at this point don't help whole heck of a lot in the conditions most people ride in..... I have a hangl though because one of my boards only has inserts for it and, honestly, I like gear. if anything, if you really feel you need something the f2 ones are alright compromise, they don't function like the others do but they do provide some damping and isolation but not anything like the other systems.

you should keep riding if you love it. that's where I am, I can barely turn right now and I've not yet been able to do more than like 10 or so runs in a day this year but I still love it. I'd probably quit riding over personal disapointment of the state of my riding if I was not still stoked just to get out. I used to ride with a guy who skied with one leg, that's my motivation at the moment.

The only limitations we have are the ones we establish in our own minds.

Will a newer board make you better ? quite possibly.

Do you need to spend a lot to do it? no.

Will you still enjoy snowboarding with what you already have? yes.

Just go out and ride. If you can't justify spending 2K on gear you will not use more than a few times a year, then you should budget accordingly, and focus on the stuff you will use more. ie: motorcross or groceries, or diapers.

I've not read many your post but apparently you ruffled feathers in the past as I have been refered to as "the new you" :rolleyes: by a few members in some threads as my comments and thoughts are different than popular consesus at times.

When I first joined in 2005 there was a thread about experiences and technique and old boards and new ones that you were in.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally posted by Aracan

Knowing Maciek's posts, he is probably absolutely right.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Absolutely? That's probably never true, but sometimes commitment to expressing opinion and some facts may help :)

This still rings true to this day.

Let bygone be bygones, and just remember we are all here for the snow and the experience of the carve :biggthump

If you have to ask, then no.

I think what Jack says sums it up the best. If you have to ask, then no. I think that pretty much holds true for ANY endeavor of love.

If money is a concern, and I would think for most people it is, just in the last couple weeks that I have been looking, I find there is quite a bit of used equipment out there....even with a small market. I have some AT hard-boots that will work in the mean-time, even though they don't have the forward lean of Alpine-boarding specdific hardboots. They'll work for now. I am just looking for a set of plates bindings, maybe used. I may even at first put them on my old wide-board or a cheap, used narrow all-mountain board, just to get used to the new feel of the boots and plates. The point is, like with any sport that I was just getting into, you don't need to start with a Ferrari when a home-modified Allard will do at first. No need to blow a bunch of dough. Get your gear piece by piece, sale by sale.

But like Jack says: If you need to ask....no.