Note to New Members ×

Stance width for Madd 158

BadBrad

I'm curious what those of you with Madd 158's are using for stance width. Since it is such a short board, do you use a narrower width than on your longer boards?

The center of the inserts is only around 17.5". Based on the binding marks, the previous owner of mine had his set just under 18". I have mine set just over 18". My other boards (Prior WCRM 173 & Prior 4WD 164) have stance widths set around 19.3, which is right at the center of the inserts.

(Based on the standard numbers (floor to kneecap, .607xinseam), my stance width should actually be more like 20.5", but after years of riding short Burtons with stance widths 16-17" I'm still not comfortable going wider than about 19.3 yet.)

Are you talking about the classic Madd 158? That has an odd set up, with three sets of inserts in front, and four in the back. I actually use the max width, most forward and most rear holes, which comes out to be 19.5".

On the reissues, I used the middle set of each front and back, with the front foot shifted one notch forward in td2s. That comes out to be about 19.7. If you did the same in the rear, you could get 19.5 or a little less out of it.

Are you talking about the classic Madd 158? That has an odd set up, with three sets of inserts in front, and four in the back. I actually use the max width, most forward and most rear holes, which comes out to be 19.5".

On the reissues, I used the middle set of each front and back, with the front foot shifted one notch forward in td2s. That comes out to be about 19.7. If you did the same in the rear, you could get 19.5 or a little less out of it.

I guess mine's a reissue, since it's from around 2004 I think. I bought it from someone on this forum a couple of years ago. Mine has 3 pairs of inserts front and back. I currently have the front binding set right in the middle of the forward sets of inserts, and the rear mounted in the forward set of inserts but with the TD2s mounted fully rearward. This gives me an overall forward shifted mounting and a little over 18" stance width.

In this photo you can see the binding marks where the previous owner had them mounted. Mine are currently mounted pretty much the same, with the rear binding just a hair further to the rear.

post-5572-141842305081_thumb.jpg

Brad,

I have what appears to be the same board.

(No indication of flex rating, so who knows?)

I ride/rode that board with front binding centered on rear set of front inserts, total width 46cm.

And the important part, I weigh between 175-185 without boots on.

~2.7 toe lift

~1.8 outward cant.

60 angle front.

For what it is worth, on the 158 classic, I was riding the forward set of four on the front, with center disc all the way back.