Note to New Members ×

Paint for board top??

revtor

Hey guys, Ive kinda volunteered to paint a friend of mine's board for this season.. (top graphic) The board (a couple year old Ride)is 90% white as it is so that makes it easier.. but Im wondering what kind of paint would be best?? I know they make spraypaint for plastic now, and there has always been the paint for polycarbonate RC model car bodies. . Anyone with experience here?? Maybe paint and then a tough clear coating ontop? big clear vinyl sticker on top? now Im lost. .

thanks alot for any insight..

~Steve

(new issue of Snowboard Journal arrived today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Guest AlpentalRider

there are topics on the burton forum of guys painting their topsheets. All the homegrown methods didn't work too well though, i.e. chipping of paint near edges after extended use. Let's just say the topsheet isn't an ideal median for paint.

Well, I figured that. With the low temps, flexing, and general abuse its obviously not an ideal situation. But there has to be paint suitable for this.. At least there has to be a *best* choice!! Ill find it. Ill also look into getting a fullscale oneoff vinyl sticker printed.. That might be $$ though, we'll see.

~Steve

my advice is go fo the custom vinyl. i have had a huge caddilac logo on the tip of my slalom board for three seasons and it is holding up prety well. Find a color that complements the board well, and a clear sheet to go on top for protection. the next choice i would recomend is paint markers.

yeah I found a place that will do a full size vinyl sticker meant for outdoors (UV and weather resistant) for about $120. not too bad, considering I can now have every little detail come out perfect from a jpg. !!!!

ill let you all know how it comes out!!

~Steve

These guys do custom top stickers. http://www.sikkosports.com/skinsoverview.asp

They are the second company to offer such a service. The first stopped a few years ago. It's the sticker material used in grocery stores for floor art. Should be pretty tough. Won't hold up as well as a standard topsheet, but will probably do better than paint.

Originally posted by Steve Dold

Do you think it would affect the ride much?

The ability to create a topsheet sticker in Photoshop looks like a lot of fun. I can turn all my good boads into Lamars to keep them from being stolen from the board racks.

come on now Bert's a nice guy...even if he wore that FOS hair doo for like way too long...

if you go the the sticker route clearcoat the whole board afterwards...a good Epoxy paint will increase the life...

• 4 weeks later...