Helmet needed?

sxybst90

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never been hit, but what I have done is stuff the nose and go over backwards. My helmet kept my head from getting slammed into some rather hard snow. Well, it still got slammed, but there was protection. Anyway, I've bounced off of my heada couple times, it helps there too. And they're really not uncomfortable. I thought it would be bulky and cold. I don't even realize I"m wearing my helmet anymore.

I didn't get a bicycle helmet until I launched off and smacked my head into a sidewalk. I didn't get a snowboard helmet until I ran into a tree. Get one before you injure yourself. You'll be glad you did.

I just bought a new Giro helmet after retiring my Leedom. In shopping for a new helmet I tried on a bunch of different brands/models. I'm really impressed with how light all the new helmets are. A lot of them have a tune-able fit and can are quite comfortable.

My personal opinion on the matter is that anyone who does not wear a helmet on the slopes is making an extremely foolish and life threatening mistake. Another opinion I hold is that any parent who does not make every effort to assure that their child is wearing a suitable and properly fitted/adjusted helmet is guilty of child endagerment.

Someone here at BOL has a signature line that goes something like "helmets are only for people who want to continue using their brain"

edit: lonbordin types faster than I do.

It doesn't look cool. Ever seen a freestyler with a helmet on the slopes?

Yes (but I'm sure you were just being flippant).

I personally think wearing a helmet works for more than just saving your brain. When I ride pow in the trees I'm often busting through branches and my helmet shrugs that stuff off nicely. It's way better than getting your beanie snagged by a branch and having to hike back up to get it.

Ignoring all the safety and fashion concerns - a modern helmet is WAY more versatile than a hat for heat management. Mine has adjustable venting, I couldn't imagine not having that. Get hot on the lift ride up? Open the vents. Getting cold with all that wind whistling through your lid? Close the vents. I've used the same helmet from 40F to -40F, just change face covering options and vent configuration.

I love the safety benefits too but a helmet won't prevent every head injury. But it'll help a whole bunch in some cases!

thnx! any recommendations as to which brand i should go with??

That's a difficult question. My son had to fit over 15 helmets before he had the one that fitted. Now he has a Carrera which doesn't fit me at all. I wear a SWEET. So buying online is not an option.

That's a difficult question. My son had to fit over 15 helmets before he had the one that fitted. Now he has a Carrera which doesn't fit me at all. I wear a SWEET. So buying online is not an option.

+1 on trying on.

It really has to fit right to be effective. It should be snug, but not tight. And comfortable. If it is uncomfortable that will be a reason to not wear it.

I started wearing my helmet to ensure that my kids had no excuses to not wear theirs. Now I will not go out on the snow without the helmet.

Also, after a serious impact, it should be replaced. Probably should be replaced after a couple of seasons on general principle as well. I know that kids car seats have an expiration date. I think it is due to the degradation of plastic over time.

I just got a Smith MAZE helmet. I wanted something with a smooth side so I could stick a camera mount to it. I like the helmet more than my Giro Fuse, which I liked at the time.

Fit and comfort first. Then looks.

I've got some my kids hate and refused to wear after they discovered they were no longer cool. Old geezers get that way too! "Buy one that's really comfy in the colour you like. Female friends tend to buy the helmet that matches the jacket that match the boots that match the skis and then pay too much for gogles because only the really expensive ones match all four. Good luck!:AR15firin:AR15firin

That's a difficult question. My son had to fit over 15 helmets before he had the one that fitted.
Even within the same manufacturers, helmets fit different. For example, I just bought a Giro G9 in size L but a Fuse from the same company is too small in size L and shaped for a more round head than mine. My old Giro Ravine XXL is a little small, but the G9 in XXL is too big. All within just Giro!

So, go to a shop and try them on. Most people don't have a problem getting a fit, I just have a freakish melon.

At Sun Peaks last week I would say 95% of people were wearing helmets. The clerk who sold me my new helmet said that it was in the works to make helmets mandatory in BC.