Note to New Members ×

Flexible bindings?

Budge

I played around with hardboots several years ago on a Prior 4WD with TD1s and Raichle boots. I loved the edge control and power for carving, but I found the set up very unforgiving in the trees and bumps, basically anywhere other than groomed runs. The TD1s are probably the stiffest and most unforgiving interface out there, and I have reverted to softies on a Tanker 172. How much difference is there between TD2s, TD3s, F2s etc? Are the new sidewinders more or less flexible than the F2s? Do flexible bindings make a big difference for all-mountain riding?

Budge

I ride all mountain and use SnowPro Race bindings which seem to have more lateral flex than TD2's. I haven't had any of the newer ones so can't say much about them. I sold the TD2's because they were just too stiff for my weight. Boots will make a big difference too. I'm using BTS with the softer springs and don't buckle the top buckle for AM. I can ride anywhere and my legs don't get as tired with this setup. A lot better edge hold on the step and quicker edge to edge transitions that with softboots. Is warmer and more comfortable than softboots too.

TD1 step-ins or standards sized tightly was like riveting your boots to the board. This was good in certain circumstances, and some still crave this connection. However most people like more flex than that. The TD2 was softer, and the TD3 has more travel than the TD2. A TD3 with yellow e-rings has a lot of give. The Sidewinder adds yet more lateral-only flexibility without sacrificing safety.

I have an Donek Axxess that when I put TD's on it, is a complete and utter pig. With my old plastic Oxygens or a set of F2 RS's, you wouldn't know it's the same board.

Depends on how much you weigh, but if you're on the lighter side, then F2's will make a huge difference.

I didn't feel that yellow ring TD3's were significantly softer than the TD1's, to be honest. They still felt like my feet were nailed on, and the only place I enjoyed riding them was on my groomers-only board. And even on that, I prefer the Race Titaniums now.

I played around with hardboots several years ago on a Prior 4WD with TD1s and Raichle boots. I loved the edge control and power for carving, but I found the set up very unforgiving in the trees and bumps, basically anywhere other than groomed runs. The TD1s are probably the stiffest and most unforgiving interface out there, and I have reverted to softies on a Tanker 172. How much difference is there between TD2s, TD3s, F2s etc? Are the new sidewinders more or less flexible than the F2s? Do flexible bindings make a big difference for all-mountain riding?

Budge

Everyone seems to have their own preferences when it comes to binding stiffness. Your weight will likely play some role in determining how a binding feels. The lighter you are, the more you will likely want more flex.

I ride also ride my Tanker with softies (I mostly only ride it in powder), but did test it in hardboots and F2s. It does ride well with that set up, but I have no plans to ride it with plates regularly.

The F2s are much more flexible than the rigid TDs and for me that is tremendously important. I tested them against the Sidewinders and found the F2 flex more consistent in all directions, especially the long axis of the board. The SWs flex laterally (I thought the yellow elastomers were comparable to the F2s), but are rigid in all other directions.

There are several good reviews here about the SWs. Many of the reviewers are able to compare SWs to other bindings they had been riding.

Thanks for all the input. I'm only 160 lbs, so the extra stiffnes was likely part of the problem. The 4WD was quite soft, made for someone even light, so that may not have helped either. I can't see my self spending $450, on the off chance that I really like the Sidewinders but I will definitely keep an eye out for a set of F2s.

Anyone want a set of TD1s? going cheap. :o)