Note to New Members ×

snowboard hard boots on skis?

ride247

I cram my Deeluxes into ski bindings just to ski with my kids. I have to reach down and pull up the heel lever. It's sketchy, but I have released appropriately. I wouldn't do it to ski aggressively at all. I think if anything the combination is more prone to release than not, but YMMV.

I've mounted my new twin tip atomic stomps with old solomon driver toes specifically so that I can adjust the height & width of the toe piece to fit my sb hardshells. Without adjusting the toe, the DIN release mechanism will be preloaded.

don't try this at home I'm a non professional and would not ski aggressively in heavy snow in sb boots.

The issues are

having to engage the heel by hand,

softer toe/heel pads & lateral flex makes edging wide skis more difficult,

non DIN toe & heel do not engage the binding as they're designed negating to some extent the release settings,

I have been skiing in sb boots for years but ski carefully when doing so and have not put myself in a situation to release. Being an accomplished skier with a very centered style helps me get away with using sb boots with little worries.

I have demoed 110 waisted icelantic shamans in 3buckle Raichles but did not have the lateral stiffness to edge them effectively.

My atomics are 186 x 88 and though not fat by today's standards it's a lot of ski to drive with the softer engagement & flex of non-DIN boots.

All that said I wish SB hardshells had DIN shaped toes and that Fin would build DINtech stepin heels.

You can use a plate type binding and use your snowboard boots on skis. You have NO release mechanism of course. Keep in mind, most snowboard hard boots are softer than most ski boots and they have more forward lean. That can of course be altered. Use at your own risk. I have used short skis with my snowboard boots. Having the 5 position adjusters help, stand the uppers up as straight as you can.

... All that said I wish SB hardshells had DIN shaped toes and that Fin would build DINtech stepin heels.

+1 Fin coming out with 'DINtec' heels. I really really want this to happen because I enjoy the quickness of intec on my tiny hill but I won't give up the ability to instantly switch from skis to board.

For the past 3 years I've been skiing and riding with the UPZ RSV superlight racing boot with DIN heel & toe blocks. The boots have the stiff grey tongue. I've set the springs for fairly stiff forward and rearward flex. When I'm on skis I set the forward lean to the most upright. When I hop off the skis and onto a board I increase the lean of my lead boot by 1 increment and increase the lean of my rear boot by 2 increments. When I want to ski more agressivly than just cruising around blues I will really tighten up the cuff buckles and power strap. Seems to work well enough for me, although some have said that UPZ boots are not any good for skiing other than a beginner on lazy bunny slopes.

I really can not imagine being able to rail turn on skis with SB boots. The advantage snowboards have over skis, is the way we can shift pressure fore and aft, because we have two points of contact. Wearing a very soft flex boot (by skiing standards) on skis, would be like having a rubber front leg on a snowboard. I don't think the compromise in performance would be worth the convenience. It's a pain in the butt, having to change boots, but skiing wouldn't be fun for me any other way. If I plan to switch from board to skis, I pre warm my ski boots at home. I put them in a thermally insulated freezer bag, with a very hot heat pack wrapped in a towel. The boots stay warm in the car for hours, even on the coldest days. Warm boots make the switch a lot easier.

BobD

I pre warm my ski boots at home. I put them in a thermally insulated freezer bag, with a very hot heat pack wrapped in a towel. The boots stay warm in the car for hours, even on the coldest days. Warm boots make the switch a lot easier.

BobD

What a great idea. I just suffer :smashfrea (for almost 30 years)

Wish I had thought of that a while back. :confused:

I just put both pair of my main boots in the passenger foot area and "Burn Vinyl" all the way to the mountain , about 1.5 hours.

What is a real pain in the butt is having to fly places with 2 or even 3 sets of boots. Ski, HB, SB. No thanks. I bailed out on softies 5 years ago and 3 years ago almost exclusivly moved to the UPZ. I kept one set of ski's bindings set to take my ski boots. If you are a real hard charger there is no substitute for the perfect tool for the job. Sure, dedicated single purpose race ski boots do what they do really well. I don't need that high of a degree of performance anymore. But I'm not skiing in floppy bedroom slippers, either. I'd welcome the chance to try other hardboots for a comparison. Kind of hard to do in Iowa's isolation.

What a great idea. I just suffer :smashfrea (for almost 30 years)

Wish I had thought of that a while back. :confused:

I just put both pair of my main boots in the passenger foot area and "Burn Vinyl" all the way to the mountain , about 1.5 hours.

I have found that the corn filled cloth heat packs from health/new age stores work best. You can microwave them to very hot. Wrapping the towel around the pack slows the heat transfer to the bag. The boots face each other, slightly overlapping in the bag, and the heat pack goes in between. There's room for gloves, and other things I want to keep warm.

I preheat the boots in a large box on it's side, facing a fan heater. I've been doing this for years, and never had a problem with the boot plastic. Some boots may have had this treatment 150-200 times.

http://www.corn-bags.com/bed.html

Bob

I really can not imagine being able to rail turn on skis with SB boots.

No big thing, really, so long as the boot geometry is right, and you use an appropriate ski. I frequently teach high level alpine skiing on my telemark stuff. (Garmont Voodoo, G3 Targa, Dynastar 64 Jr. GS)

In a similar vein, I wouldn't want to try to rail a turn on my snowboard in a typical pair of hardboots.

The advantage snowboards have over skis, is the way we can shift pressure fore and aft, because we have two points of contact. Wearing a very soft flex boot (by skiing standards) on skis, would be like having a rubber front leg on a snowboard.

Each foot has two distinct points of contact: The heel, and the forefoot.

When alpine skiing on telemark skis, I ski off the soles of my feet, which is to say, I'm not leaning on, nor levering the plastic to provide input to the skis.

With good boot geometry, a capable skier can alter the pressure along the length of the ski with great effect without flexing into the boot.

I use the same approach on my snowboard.

If your board is well matched to your weight, and you are set up properly, you shouldn't need to make significant movements from one foot to the other, nor should you need to lean on the plastic.

Of course, needs and wants are often two completely different things...

You can use a plate type binding and use your snowboard boots on skis. You have NO release mechanism of course. Keep in mind, most snowboard hard boots are softer than most ski boots and they have more forward lean. That can of course be altered. Use at your own risk. I have used short skis with my snowboard boots. Having the 5 position adjusters help, stand the uppers up as straight as you can.

never mind....