Note to New Members ×

bloom box? cheap energy?

bobdea

I'm guessing you saw the 60 minutes episode?

Looks like they are several years away from a home model that they could sell for under $3,000.

yup, saw a link posted to it on a blog. the 60 min video was so vague. they said it used 02 then they said it used natural gas. IMO, they made it sound like something it's not from what I can tell.

Bobdea,

I agree, stuff like this always has me very skeptical like the perpetual motion stuff. The only thing that made me think that its not some pie in the sky vaporware is the claim that Google and some others are using it. In any case we won't see a home user solution for quite a while so if it's a fraud, I'm not too worried as I won't be an investor, and if it's legit, well it will be a while anyway. Would be great if it's true.

I'm guessing you saw the 60 minutes episode?

Looks like they are several years away from a home model that they could sell for under $3,000.

If it does what the pre-press release article that I just read on The Guardian says it does, then I'm all over these things. If it really can do what its creators claim, then petroleum as a fuel will officially be on life support this Wednesday, and I think that my house will be off-grid soon.

If it does what the pre-press release article that I just read on The Guardian says it does, then I'm all over these things. If it really can do what its creators claim, then petroleum as a fuel will officially be on life support this Wednesday, and I think that my house will be off-grid soon.

well, that's where it gets sticky. it's still a fossil fuel system from all the descriptions I can find even though they advertise it as some fuel cell system like the hydrogen car fuel cells but uses 02 from ambient air then it turns out it's way of burning fossil fuels without actual combustion.

kinda deceptive if you ask me.

until there's biogas/methane harvesting at every landfill and farm in the country we're still stuck on the exon's oily teat.

A couple of weeks ago I read something in a German magazin that Japan started a project just recently to see how it works in reality.

I found a link to an English artikel.

The 30k$ investment gets subsidized in Japan by 50%.

But read yourselfe

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/12/08/am-home-fuel-cells

If they come down to 5k$ it might be worth thinking about it if you are building a new hose and you have to invest money anyway.

that link both clarifies some misunderstanding and muddies the waters because it makes some of the too good to be true less of a space shot but still a huge claim.

anyway, wednesday, hopefully will clear some of this up.

at first I was really thinking this was like the steorn hoax.